Concealed/HIP in crest

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pretty sure we got this right and it won't make a huge difference if we didn't... can a squad be concealed or HIP in Crest of a brush/gully hex? Specifically X11 on Inor map. The brush is on both sides so the rule says that means the brush is also IN the gully so it seems like concealment terrain and Crest doesn't change anything right?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you are correct, the hex is not OG since it is gully/brush and units can set up HIP or concealed in the hex, either IN the hex or in crest status (based on other setup restrictions of course.)

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Add on question

A concealed unit in gully, out of Los to enemy, advances into OG crest in same hex and in enemy los. Keeps concealment?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe, if the hex is gully/brush (or gully/woods) or if the +2 crest TEM applies then yes concealment is kept. But if an enemy unit (GO and within 16 hexes) can see the unit without the +2 TEM applying (and it is not gully/brush or gully/woods) then concealment is lost.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another add on question.
Is the actual Crest counter only placed on board when the HIP unit(s) lose HIP status?
(I assume the answer is "yes" but I'd rather know what others say so I don't ruin the whole game with an illegal setup.)
Thanks in advance.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another add on question.
Is the actual Crest counter only placed on board when the HIP unit(s) lose HIP status?
(I assume the answer is "yes" but I'd rather know what others say so I don't ruin the whole game with an illegal setup.)
Thanks in advance.
Yes you don't put information counters like crest that apply just to the units under (or on) them until the unit is placed on the map although I don't have a rule reference.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the answer. It's pretty obvious now that you mention Info counters.
There is no rule reference that I could find, nor Q&A.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can give you a different example of when information counters are not placed on HIP units. When HIP Mtr fires using Spotted fire, the Prep/First/Final Fire counter is not placed no board (although sometimes players will place the Mtr counter and fire counter somewhere next to the board to remind themselves of the status of the Mtr.