Concealed HIP guys concealing units beneath them on lower levels.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone encountered a problem where say a concealed & HIP unit on say level 2 automatically conveys a concealed status to non-HIP units entering a lower level of the same hex? Here's the situation: A non concealed unit(s) move into a hex that contains a concealed & HIP unit at a higher elevation; Normally the moving guys are at the top of the hex stack initially after the move, then I use the arrow down function to move them to the ground level where they are automatically marked as concealed thus alerting the opponent that an additional concealed & HIP unit is somewhere in the hex at a higher elevation (and possibly one doesn't notice his moved unit is concealed either). I can't recall if this was a factor in previous editions but I have encountered this in ver. 4.1 & .2.

Now the quick fix to this is to not conceal HIP units from the get go and apply a concealment status on them as they are removed from HIP status if still retaining their concealed status. This is how I resolved the problem in the short term; However, this forces one to ensure they remember to perform a concealment function prior to bringing a HIP unit out if they still remain concealed. It is not a major concern but a niggling one that can have unwanted consequences during play over an extended period of time (say a late night RB or VotG CG) or "in the heat of the moment".

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I agree that it's an issue, but I think it's a pretty minor one. Maybe you should get out of the habit of concealing your HIP guys? Generally HIP units are not concealed when placed on board (although it varies according to specific circumstance) -- A12.31. If your HIP unit is eligible for concealment at the time of revealing him, conceal him then.

More generally, the presence of a level counter (and other location-separation counters -- e.g., pillboxes; probably even entrenchment markers) ought to cancel the "auto conceal" function when the concealment counter in the stack is above the marker and the unit is below it. I have no idea if that would be easy or even possible to code.