Concealed CC with a foxhole

thesurgeon

Reaction score
I'm playing a scenario where I advance a russian guy into a hex with a concealed german in a foxhole. In CC he chose not to attack so I had a 1:4 with NE. Am I now in the foxhole? I didn't declare that I went in. Also, in the next turn - if he prep fires at that hex does it effect his squad and mine even though we aren't in Melee or CC?
Thanks,
Dave

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You must place the unit in the foxhole at the moment it advances into the Location. It cannot enter or exit it at the conclusion of the CCPh.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply! Is that optional or is it mandatory? Is there a rules reference for that?

Thanks
Dave
A5.1 for stacking limitations per side, B27.1 & 27.12 for stacking capacity of a Foxhole and B27.4-.44 for movement into/out-of a foxhole. You have the option to advance into a foxhole during the APh even if occupied by an enemy unit as long as the per side stacking capacity of the foxhole is not exceeded.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks for the reply! Is that optional or is it mandatory? Is there a rules reference for that?

Thanks
Dave
The "must" of my answer was in relation with the APh as the moment you decide to enter the foxhole or not.
You always have the choice to enter it or not (EXC you cannot overstack your units in a foxhole of course).

Last edited:

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The second part of your question. Fire into the hex only affects the enemy units unless you are in melee then it affects all units. Last sentence of A11.5 is what makes the fire into the hex affect the friendly unit.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Also, in the next turn - if he prep fires at that hex does it effect his squad and mine even though we aren't in Melee or CC?
Since there is no Melee the friendly units isn't affected. But I think they can be hit/affected if the Area Target Type is used - then I think all units can be hit - even if there's no Melee.

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically, if you're playing 'vanilla ETO', and not at Night, the existence of that Foxhole would be known as soon as a known Enemy unit had LOS to the Foxhole's hex within 16 hexes...

If the Foxhole were HIP under PTO rules, it would likewise pop up if not occupied, or if occupied in Jungle/Kunai/Bamboo by a Stealthy Japanese Unit, it would not pop up until the beginning of the CC Phase (so no chance to enter the foxhole during the APh). If it were a case of Night, and not in the aforementioned PTO/Japanese situation, I believe the Foxhole's presence is announced when the first Enemy unit advances into its hex...at which moment, they should be able to enter it if they choose to.

Klas will correct my above errors if any... ;-)