Comrades, take the Voentorg! - VotG15 SSR

Dave Olie

High King of New Scotland
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
George Bates and I played VotG15 “Perfected in Battle” by Skype over the past few weekends. There's only one AAR on this one that I could find, so I thought it would be worthwhile to post this. Given the ROAR record, we gave the Germans the balance, an extra 6 factors of mines.

Russian setup:
Q7 – 4-4-7. Gotta hold that rubble against mad-dash German rush for VC purposes.
S7(L1) – 8-1; HMG/4-5-8; 4-5-8. I used one of my SSR-given Fortified Locations here.
T6(L2) – HIP Field Phone/7-0. Reasonably good LOS to where it matters.
T8 – 45L AT/crew; 4-4-7. Nice LOSs across the square.
T9 – 8-1; DC/AE6-2-8; 2 x LMG/4-5-8. I also Fortified this Location as a firebase vs. the Voentorg.
U9 – 4-4-7. In reserve.
V11 – DC/AE6-2-8; 6-2-8
V13 – 9-1; DC/AE6-2-8; FT/6-2-8, LMG/4-5-8. My southern firebase.
V15 – 45L AT/crew; 6-2-8. Can pound T12, T13, S14, plus T15 and Q14 if needed.
W15 – 4-4-7. In reserve.

German setup (as I recall it):
M7 – PB with LMG/4-6-7; Trench with 81*MTR/crew. Tough combo.
M8 - 2-3-7
N9(L1) – 9-1; HMG/4-6-7. George had this Fortified, but didn't realize buildings have to be Fortified from the ground up, so the Fort was removed on Turn 2 due to illegal setup.
O11 – 4-4-7
P10 – Trench
P12 – 8-0; 4-4-7. In reserve.
Q10 – 4-4-7
Q11(L1) – 8-0; MMG/4-6-7
Q15 – Trench
R9 – 4-4-7
R15 – PB with 7-0; LMG/4-6-7 [CA R14/S15]
S14 – 4-4-7
T12 – 4-4-7
T13 – 2-3-7
T15 – LMG/4-6-7. This was George's other Fortified Location.

My first Wind change DR was a 4, giving me Civilian Interrogation, and the brave comrades of the Motherland let me know that there is a 12 factor minefield in R9 of the Voentorg. (We're playing with the German balance, so there were still 6FP of mines out there.) Good to know, but doesn't make my attack particularly easier.

I establish FP contact and draw a black chit, and my Spotting Round lands accurately in S11. So far, so good. My PFPh gets nothing, including the FT shot from V13 at T13, but I figure I have to make some attempt to attack if only to break some German concealment. My AEs in T9 and V11 both manage to throw Smoke (Russians with Smoke is so nice), but when the DFPh is over I have 3 broken 6-2-8s, one of which has ERLed to a 5-2-7, and one squad in my firebase in S7 is also broken. Bad start, about as bad as George's start as the German in “KopKar Krossing”, and I know how that went for him.

In George's Turn I first roll a 12 in the RPh for my broken AE squad in V13, then roll a 10 on a FT shot at T13 so scratch that FT. George has yet to suffer so much as a break.

My Turn 2, and after a slight adjustment I manage to bring down a Smoke FFE in S10. Not optimal, but it would make the difference in the game. The 8-1 in T9 rallies the now DC/5-2-7.

With so much of my front-line forces out of action, I have to dig into my reserves. The 8-1/2xLMG/4-5-8 in T9 were intended as a small firegroup, but I have to push them forward, into T10, where they find a 6FP minefield. Fortunately, George rolls a 9. At this point, I make probably the deepest gut check in my years of playing ASL. I absolutely have to press on, so I do; the stack continues movement to S11. The 8-1 and one squad passes the NMC exit DR; the second squad is pinned. The DC/5-2-7 moves to S10.

George has moved a concealed 4-4-7 to S12, and here is where I get lucky in my rules knowledge. George fires the 4-4-7 at S11, and loses concealment, with no effect against me due to Rubble and Smoke. What he doesn't realize is that if he had retained concealment it would have been an Ambush situation in his favour, even outside woods or buildings. I take another gut check and advance into S12. The CC is indecisive. Meanwhile, my DC/5-2-7 advances into R10, and my reserve 4-4-7s in T8 and U9 move and advance through the Smoke to S10. I also advance my remaining GO squads in V11 and V13 into U12 – 14.

In his Turn 2 PFPh, George fires into the melee in S12 from Q11(L1), and breaks his own squad while my leader and squad pass. He also fires on my DC/5-2-7 in R10 and breaks him. In exchange my U12 – 14 FG get a lucky shot and break his LMG/4-6-7 in T15.

Now George gets aggressive. He wants to eliminate my squad in R10 while also allowing the broken squad in S12 to escape. So he moves a 4-4-7 out of the Voentorg to R11, which is enough to eliminate the DC/5-2-7 for failure to rout, and then advances in to S12 along with another 4-4-7 from T12. He advances yet another 4-4-7 from the Voentorg into R10 to snatch up my abandoned DC.

In CC, I eliminate the broken withdrawing 4-4-7 in spite of the 2 covering squads, while George gets nothing. I've inflicted my first German casualties. Melee rages, and I can breathe again.

In my Turn 3, just about everything goes right. I maintain Field Phone contact and draw another black chit, but can't do much useful with the OBA because of my own Smoke on the way. The broken squad in S7(L1) rallies, and this allows me to win the battle with the German HMG in N9(L1). My concealed stack of 4-4-7s in S10 stands pat; they're in little danger and can do little harm due to the (now Dispersed) Smoke, and I want very much to Ambush the 4-4-7 in R10.

My LMG/4-5-8 in T10 tries to exit the minefield again, but breaks when George rolls a DR4. However,
my troops in U12 – 14 are able to move into T11 – 13 against no opposition, And in the APh I reinforce the S12 melee with a pair of 6-2-8s, one of which is AE with a DC. In one mighty 2-1 attack I kill the 2 German 4-4-7s with no losses. George has lost ¼ of his at-start forces in this extended CC, at no cost to myself. Meanwhile, the German 4-4-7 in R10 voluntarily breaks to escape the wrath of my concealed 4-4-7 stack, which advances into the vacated hex.

Not much happens in George's Turn 3, except my rather mighty force in S12 breaks his MMG/4-6-7 in Q11(L1).

In my Turn 4, I'm able to get a SR into P14. I intend to use the OBA as a flank guard against the German reinforcements. I also grab S14 and T15, so I have the building/rubble hexes I need outside the Voentorg. I move the 8-1; DC/6-2-8 from S12 to R11 and place the DC to Breach the R11/Q11 hexside. I survive all Defensive Fire, and the remaining squads in S12 also move up. In my AFPh I get the Breach (a first-time thing for me in ASL), and the defending 4-4-7 breaks as a bonus. I advance 8-1; LMG/4-5-8; 2 x 6-2-8 into Q11, and the concealed 4-4-7s into the vacated Q10.

At this point it's pretty much over. I have a remaining broken 8-0 and 4-4-7 to clear from the Voentorg. George's reinforcements can't cover the distance to reinforce on their turn of entry. After one mission of OBA in P14 the Field Phone dies on a DR12. George's 81mm MTR in M7 gets a CH on my 45L AT/crew in T8, wiping them out. I get a 7-0 Leader Creation in V13 with the DC/3-2-6 on Turn 5, which just adds insult to injury. George makes a couple of game tries on the Voentorg on Turns 5 and 6, but I hold him off without much trouble while clearing the building.

As a side note, my Sniper did nothing. George's Sniper was knocked down to SAN 3 on a Sniper Check on Turn 2 (one of the few times I've done that, and thanks to George for pointing out the possibility.) George's Sniper got a Pin and a Break and that's about all. I'm putting up my 8-1 who led the CC in S12 and then the assault into the Voentorg for the Order of Lenin, at least. That comrade did the job, and laughed off every MC/PTC that came his way.