Computer Grand Strategy Heaven

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep that clunky Computer World In Flames now has serious competition.

Matrix Games, Magnetar Games and Bruce Harper Team Up For A New WWII Grand Strategy Game
Posted by David Heath on Friday, November 19, 2004 @ Eastern Daylight Time
Matrix Games is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to publish Magnetar Games’ (www.magnetargames.com) licensed computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s acclaimed board game, A World At War (www.aworldatwar.com). Design and development is underway with no set release date.

Matrix Games is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to publish Magnetar Games’ (www.magnetargames.com) licensed computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s acclaimed board game, A World At War (www.aworldatwar.com). Design and development is underway with no set release date.

Bruce Harper’s A World At War is a grand strategy game which simulates the military, economic, political, diplomatic, research and production aspects of the Second World War. Covering all theaters of the war, it is an ideological heir to the epic Third Reich and Rising Sun games that were released under the Avalon Hill Game Company name in previous years. Since its release as a board game from GMT Games (www.gmtgames.com), A World At War has been a big hit among grand strategy gamers.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “We Matrix Games are huge grand strategy fans. We cut our wargaming teeth on many of the classic designs that culminated in Bruce Harper’s A World At War. We are excited to play a key role in bringing this outstanding game to computer wargamers around the world.”

The computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s A World At War will focus on online collaborative play using a series of new technologies developed by Magnetar Games for this purpose, including FederationX and ExForce. A second phase will include full computer AI support for solo play.

Duncan Suttles, President of Magnetar Games, commented “We feel that with the selection of Matrix Games as our publisher, we have the last piece in place to make this project a great success. Our design strength in online collaborative play is a great fit with Matrix’s active community of war and strategy game players, many of whom are familiar with Bruce Harper’s work.”

For more information, please visit the A World At War website at www.aworldatwar.com, the Magnetar Games site at www.magnetargames.com and the Matrix Games website at www.matrixgames.com for future press releases and forum discussions.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is interesting.

It would be nice to have a workable and playable WWII computer Grand Strategy game.

Thanks for sharing the news.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have always wanted to have a grand strategic game where you were in charge of production and resource allocation/research, etc. Something along the lines of High Command, but that offers more depth (and actually works).

TOAW Europe Aflame, with production and resources and diplomacy built in...
:surprise:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now that the excitement has died down, I guess the only real significant details are.

They are not expecting it to appear soon.

They are not expecting to initially provide an AI.

And the game's turn mechanics might be a bit less problematic to design into a game for the computer.

I think I will return to assuming I will have to either get my fix with SC2, and or buy the rather expensive board game (175 US) and employ Warplanner software.

I'll survive :)

pzgndr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a grand strategic game where you were in charge of production and resource allocation/research, etc. ... that offers more depth (and actually works) ... with production and resources and diplomacy built in...
Now that's a pretty good description of Strategic Command 2, soon to be released by Battlefront in 2Q, 2005. ;)

Now that the excitement has died down
No way! Matrix announcing that they will finally be bringing AWAW to the PC is great news. Please please please let it work and not have the old Computer Third Reich AI reincarnated. I intend to stay excited about this for a very long time. :nuts:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I "want" to be excited about computer AWaW and computer WiF really I do.

But I am finding staying excited about those two projects is about as justifiable as any of my usual ranting :)