Complete Newb looking for Sk1 Vasl game

Moravane

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I've done so far:

1. Read the SK1 rules, pushed counters around on the board, read a lot of tutorials/watched videos. I think I basically have the rules down.

2. Set up VASL. I think I have it set up right. I kinda/sorta think I know how it works. Have not used it yet.

3. Made an an account here and made this post.

I suppose I could try PBEM first since it wouldn't require a big chunk of time but I don't really know exactly how it works completely. The part where you stop someone mid-report (for defensive fire) seems...odd to me.

Otherwise evenings EST around 730pm are good for me if the game is under 2 hours. Also Wednesday afternoons since I work from home.

I don't have a webcam for Skype but could use Hangouts/Skype on my phone while playing.

I think that covers it. Thanks in advance!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You might want to seek out Patrick Ireland on the VASL server. He has made it his mission to train newbies in SK and ASL.

Besides that, you might indeed find some opponents here.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Moravane

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might want to seek out Patrick Ireland on the VASL server. He has made it his mission to train newbies in SK and ASL.

Besides that, you might indeed find some opponents here.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
I've heard that. How exactly does one do that?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You run VASL "Look for a game online". This will open the VASL server and displays ongoing games.

Each game takes place in a "room". Usually the "rooms" are labelled with the scenario name. You enter in the "Main Room" by default. You can click on the rooms to see who's inside. Right-Click on a player and select "Private Msg". This will allow you to send that player a personal message. If you happen to find him, then you can fix a date.

Furthermore you can click on the "!" Button in the Sever window menu. This will display a blue exclamation mark next to your name and signifies that you are looking for a game. I can't judge how successful this approach is as I don't use it.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Moravane

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I did some quick googling and found his email on BGG. Gonna hit him up first...thanks for the quick replies!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I've done so far:

1. Read the SK1 rules, pushed counters around on the board, read a lot of tutorials/watched videos. I think I basically have the rules down.

2. Set up VASL. I think I have it set up right. I kinda/sorta think I know how it works. Have not used it yet.

3. Made an an account here and made this post.

I suppose I could try PBEM first since it wouldn't require a big chunk of time but I don't really know exactly how it works completely. The part where you stop someone mid-report (for defensive fire) seems...odd to me.

Otherwise evenings EST around 730pm are good for me if the game is under 2 hours. Also Wednesday afternoons since I work from home.

I don't have a webcam for Skype but could use Hangouts/Skype on my phone while playing.

I think that covers it. Thanks in advance!
I love SK. I will play with you anytime - just let me know. I don't want to play by email, though. That is too painful.

bluedogpete

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately Patrick is currently recovering from surgery and has not been able to teach since February.

I'm fairly new to ASL/ASLSK myself and VASL, and have never played a PBEM version. Happy to give a game a whirl if you don't mind slow intermingled with rules lookups.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately Patrick is currently recovering from surgery and has not been able to teach since February.

I'm fairly new to ASL/ASLSK myself and VASL, and have never played a PBEM version. Happy to give a game a whirl if you don't mind slow intermingled with rules lookups.
One of the things that make PBEM an attraction (for some) is the relaxed pace, time commitment at a single sitting and the ability to look up rules at your own pace. The best approach is with a lot of trust with your opponent, letting them perform some of your MCs and various other actions to reduce the amount of logfiles flying back & forth etc. If you're ever interested in pursuing this venue, drop me a line and I'll send you a text file that outlines a reasonable interaction of play and perhaps a few posts between players to show you how a game may progress. This is regardless if we ever play each other as I'm always glad to help out new players. Of course direct interaction between players using vasl or FtF is much preferred time and circumstances permitting, as it allows one to get immediate feedback and you get to know the other person much quicker. No matter what route you take, welcome aboard and welcome to an enjoying and engrossing hobby.:)

Last edited:

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm willing to play too, when the gaming gods align my calendar just right. I lose better and more often than most and still keep a good attitude!

Moravane

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah I don't care about winning or losing... if I can learn to play the game well and have fun thats winning to me.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
How different are the SK rules from the Base ASL rules? I haven't seen the SK Books.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Essier to read, that's for sure. However, harder to find specific rules since there is no official index.

No concealment. No sniper. No bypass come to mind for big differences.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Thank you . the index is outstanding but the Summery will be a great aid in speeding up play when you know you remember a rule but don't remember where it was.