Comparisons between Gbii and GMT's Typhoon?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
it seems to me that Guderian's Blitzkrieg covers the same ground as GMT's East Series Typhoon.

Are they the same scale and scope, or is GMT a little more detailed?

...God I love the maps from the OCS system, they are down right gorgeous! :smoke:

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Doughboy said:
it seems to me that Guderian's Blitzkrieg covers the same ground as GMT's East Series Typhoon.

Are they the same scale and scope, or is GMT a little more detailed?

...God I love the maps from the OCS system, they are down right gorgeous! :smoke:
Not sure about the map scale, Typhoon has 3 for 5 miles a hex, and I think GBII has only 2, but the unit size is about the same, Regiment/Division with some individual battalions.

ermj1986

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played GMT's stuff but am currently engaged in a campaign of GB2.
Here a few comments re: GB2

GBII has a scale of 5 miles/hex
Infantry units are divisions generally 2-4 steps but can be "broken down" into individual regiments.
Armored and motorized divisions are made up of individual regiments and battalions.
Turns represent one half of a week.

OCS has an enemy reaction phase after player movement phase in which "reserve" marked units can move and fight.It also has an exploitation phase where reserved marked units can move and fight again. Basically ZOC's are rather weak verese leg ans Track movement (strong vs. truck though)

There is also a unique initiative sequence as to who is the first player each turn. Many experienced OCS-ers choose to go second setting up a deadly "double turn" called the "flipflop" which creates some tense moments to say the least.

Also GB2 has an interesting air system where air units can be used in ground support, interdiction, fighter sweeps, patrol, barrage vs. facilities and on and on. Each aircounter is a squadron of a specific type of aircraft, catagorized by fighters, tactical bombers, strategic bombers and transports.

A great game in a great system.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hmmm,

here's what I got from the GMT site for the East Front treatment:

TIME SCALE2 days per turnMAP SCALE5 miles per hexGROUND UNIT SCALEDivision/RegimentAIR UNIT SCALE25 aircraft per counterNUMBER OF PLAYERSOne to four

seems very similar except for the time scale, hence units in GBII covers a lot more ground (in theory)

Here's the map layout for the series:

note that Typhoon is covered off in the red maps N, M and P so the area is about the same. Less counters about 900 (still alot).

I guess I'll have to try both of them; should be really interesting as I am a fan of both systems.

Doughboy