Commissar Exchange

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A25.22 states:

25.22 COMMISSAR: A Commissar is a 9-0 or 10-0 leader with special capabilities. At the start of any scenario (including DYO/Russian Partisans) during or prior to 10/42, the Russian player may replace up to one 8-0 leader with a 9-0 Political Commissar and/or one 8-1 leader with a 10-0 Political Commissar provided the scenario is not begun with more Commissars than other leaders in the OB.

Assume a Pre-Nov 1942 scenario in which the Russian player receives a single 8-0 Leader for his entire OB (i.e. there are no other leaders). Can this leader be exchanged for a 9-0?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
No because you would then begin the scenario with more Commissars than leaders. I guess you're wondering if the rule means to say "unless the scenario is originally designed with more commissars than leaders in their OB," but I think it would be a real stretch to interpret the rule that way. Occam's Razor is sharp on this one.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A25.22 states:

25.22 COMMISSAR: A Commissar is a 9-0 or 10-0 leader with special capabilities. At the start of any scenario (including DYO/Russian Partisans) during or prior to 10/42, the Russian player may replace up to one 8-0 leader with a 9-0 Political Commissar and/or one 8-1 leader with a 10-0 Political Commissar provided the scenario is not begun with more Commissars than other leaders in the OB.

Assume a Pre-Nov 1942 scenario in which the Russian player receives a single 8-0 Leader for his entire OB (i.e. there are no other leaders). Can this leader be exchanged for a 9-0?
I would say no as well. You would have to have a second leader in the OB to prevent the "more than other leaders" clause from kicking in.