COMMANDO and BEHIND ENEMY LINES

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Does anyone here have experience in playing either of these games?

Commando was an SPI RPG, and Behind Enemy Lines was by FASA. They are the only Second World War themed RPGs I am aware of. Just curious if anyone ever indulged in them back in the day...or more recently.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Commando. Played it a few times back in college. It was kind of interesting but it didn't seem to catch on.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh and Commando was not really WWII as I remember , it was more like 1960-70s mercenary stuff like the movie "The Wild Geese."

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have Behind Enemy Lines and the 2nd edition of it. Farted around solo with it some but it was so long ago I can't recall anything specific.

Never saw Commando but I do have (or had, I might have sold it) a game called Merc. I remember it being kind of cool but needed some questions answered for some of the rules.

Converted Twilight 2000 to World War II but didn't have anyone to try it out.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the replies on this. I can see why there haven't been more put into print...of course, there are similar games now for PC that accomplish some of this quicker and easier - Behind Enemy Lines etc. though I can't see them being as potentially rich an experience. I suppose good GMs are hard to find... I think the drawback to a WWII or "modern" Commando RPG is that the fantasy genre has a huge world to step into whereas the environment in a WW II setting is essentially pretty sterile in comparison - deserted cities and towns, people with average abilities, certainly average weapons and ability to inflict harm, etc.

Were the James Bond-type RPGs ever all that successful either?