Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From STRANGE BATTLEGROUND, the official history of the Canadian Army in Korea:

"Lieutenant-Colonel Poulin reported that his unit used napalm in an effort to render the minefield defences more effective. These devices consisted of four-gallon containers filled with napalm and fitted with a detonator which was connected electrically with the platoon command post. They were buried one foot underground at intervals of 20 yards across the front of the unit’s forward position. When ignited, the bombs were capable of spreading fire over an area of 50 yards."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sadly, for us, the historian then notes: "Their effectiveness, however, was never put to the actual test of battle."

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my old first sergeants told of a similar system which was used around the perimeter of USMC combat bases in Vietnam. He referred to it as "foo-gas" or "fu-gas" (sp?). I recall having seen a photo of an emplaced 'foo-gas' 55 gallon drum in a USMC demolitions manual a long time ago. Top described the effects upon detonation as being quite spectacular.

I am unaware of any WWII or Korean war use of such a device, although in ASL terms, "foo-gas" rules would be an interesting addition to any future Vietnam ASL project.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There is an account of the Russians using a "Flame Thrower" AT mine in Demolishing the Myth. It may have been in Death of the Leaping Horseman. I recently completed both and vividly recall the mention. -- jim

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There are Soviet fougasse counters in some Kursk CH module.
This was one of the most fun parts of that module - flame throwing mines are checked off of my ASL bucket list...
Just like real flamethrowers and mines the threat of use is a big part of the deterrent potential of these weapons.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States