Coming Back--The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

J.L.Robert

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a frequent visitor of this site, as ASL is no longer a play priority for me. But there are times I'm interested in getting back into the game for some semi-regular play. It just takes a little time to force it back into the play rotation. With several hundred different games, you'd understand why.

As for the title of this thread:

The Good: I still have my entire collection. If AH printed it, I have it, including a 1st printing of Doomed Battalions and their 4 Historical Modules. I have the 3 Starter Kits as well. And by good fortune, the only MMP modules I've ever purchased Armies of Oblivion and A Bridge Too Far.

The Bad: I haven't really played since about 1992. I've purchased stuff out of a desire to get back into the game, but never could find a convenient opponent or group in my specific part of L.A., even through the use of various online resources.

The Ugly: My last regular opponent was Ronald Berger. You think y'all have stories? I've got a whopper or two. Fortunately, he's not the reason I stopped playing.

Now, I've noticed that my rulebook pages no longer match up with the pages included in OoB. I'm guessing that means it's time for a new rulebook. Am I otherwise good to go? Or have there been some other significant tweaks with some of the older expansions, requiring a purchase of a reprint version?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not a frequent visitor of this site, as ASL is no longer a play priority for me. But there are times I'm interested in getting back into the game for some semi-regular play. It just takes a little time to force it back into the play rotation. With several hundred different games, you'd understand why.

The Good: I still have my entire collection. If AH printed it, I have it, including a 1st printing of Doomed Battalions and their 4 Historical Modules. I have the 3 Starter Kits as well. And by good fortune, the only MMP modules I've ever purchased Armies of Oblivion and A Bridge Too Far.

The Bad: I haven't really played since about 1992. I've purchased stuff out of a desire to get back into the game, but never could find a convenient opponent or group in my specific part of L.A., even through the use of various online resources.

The Ugly: My last regular opponent was Ronald Berger. You think y'all have stories? I've got a whopper or two. Fortunately, he's not the reason I stopped playing.

Now, I've noticed that my rulebook pages no longer match up with the pages included in OoB. I'm guessing that means it's time for a new rulebook. Am I otherwise good to go? Or have there been some other significant tweaks with some of the older expansions, requiring a purchase of a reprint version?
Welcome back

all you really need (if need is the right word) is the rule book 2nd edition but you could get away with the 1st edition until you get in the rut er I mean routine of playing regular. I would say though getting some of the TPP such as the Schwerpunkt or Friendly Fire scenario packs as these tend to play fast and are of a fairly high standard accross the board. Also the annual and journals provide some good fast scenario's. It's just that some of the official scenario's can be a bit long and trying thoses and another flavour could be what grabs you to playing the game more.

Cheers
Ian

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for opponents, I would suggest having VASL (www.vasl.org) loaded on your computer. It will open up a new group of players to you.

Cheers!

J.L.Robert

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for opponents, I would suggest having VASL (www.vasl.org) loaded on your computer. It will open up a new group of players to you.

Cheers!
I should have mentioned that I'm not much for online play. While I understand it's convenience, I prefer the social interaction and tactile feel of a ftf game. And getting beers after a cyber game just doesn't have the same impact.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I should have mentioned that I'm not much for online play. While I understand it's convenience, I prefer the social interaction and tactile feel of a ftf game. And getting beers after a cyber game just doesn't have the same impact.
Coupled with Skype it can be a lot closer to a FTF game than the sterile typed world but it's still does not match the real thing. All depends on how much you want to get a game against how much you don't like the none contact feel. The major plus is you can get to play against peeps you would never have the chance to play. PBeM is another, but you need to be able to stand a game over weeks or months. I love it but each to their own.

Cheers
Ian

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hang in there brother. Look around I'm sure that if you contact SOCAL ASL (or something to that effect) that you'll find some gems opponent wise out in CALI.

AS IS, if we could time travel, I could have been your opponent...back in 93/94 when I taugh for a year in a HS in Visalia (think halfway b/w Fresno and Bakersfield)

Welcome back to the hobby.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've heard a few Ron Berger stories but it's always fun to hear more!

Welcome back to ASL!

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...but never could find a convenient opponent or group in my specific part of L.A., even through the use of various online resources.
Hi J.L.;

Here is your ASL Christmas present...please go to www.socalasl.com and look for the event titled "ASL on Boxing Day"...

The SoCal ASL Club is hosting a one-day event on Saturday 12-26-09 in Northridge...it's less than 10 miles from your house...no excuses not to make it. :cool:

It is taking place at the home of one of the club members that lives across the street from CalState University Northridge...directly across the from the CSUN tennis courts. Sounds like there will be about a dozen or more people attending at this point (I am not attending due to family). Come by and meet some of the club members...we have at least three or four players that I can think of off the top of my head that live within 15 miles of you.

Also, the club hosts regular Game Days each month (club membership is not required)...the LA day is the first Saturday of each month at Gameology in Ontario ($2 store fee for gaming)...the OC day is the third Saturday of each month at The Realm in Brea...and if you are really eager to play, the San Diego day is the last Sunday of each month (they just *have* to be different) at a place that escapes me at the moment.

Each February we host West Coast Melee, a four-day ASL extravaganza in Irvine at the Crown Plaza Hotel (across the freeway from John Wayne Airport)...check the website for details.

You want to play ASL? The SoCal ASL Club will bury you in ASL! :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

J.L.Robert

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the ww, folks. I have far too many interests to want to invest the time that many here have on ASL, but I do hope I can get the opportunity to play casually with other like-minded gamers.

I am an active member of SoCal Gamers. And while ASL isn't in the forefront of the group, there are many wargamers associated with them, as well as the Eurogame crowd. Since I like to play a wide range of games (and own a large collection), I find this group pretty solid for my needs. If any ASL'ers attend their regularly-scheduled events (there's pretty much a game day held at different LGS's each weekend), perhaps I can arrange to play a scenario or so.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Dude,

Chris Olden is in your area.

The Good: Watching my Grandkids grow up while teaching them the ROF mantra.

The Bad: Having to save up to pay for ALL the ASL goodies I got this year after paying off the house.

The Ugly: Every morning as I look in the mirror..... :clown:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not much talking going on, ya know what I'm sayin?
Pysco,

You must have really ticked someone off... I can NOT rep you - no matter how long I wait or how much I spread the rep around.

Probably all what's-his-name's fault.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pysco,

You must have really ticked someone off... I can NOT rep you - no matter how long I wait or how much I spread the rep around.

Probably all what's-his-name's fault.
Sam,

You've made the Rep God "List".

Many a good forumite has made this List. but only a "select-few" EVER leave this list.

Like the Eagles song, "You can check out any-time you like, but you mave NEVER leave".....