Combining board games with miniatures

antiochuss

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For a number of years now I have been working on a system to bring. down the price and complexity of gaming nown.So far I have arrived at a system combining table reference points and a simple map detailing infrastructure and actual range etcetera.I have number of periods on the go,the one at the forefront a speculation on future war in North Africa.I utilize such devices as player,non player characters,small actions as a precursor of large strategic events,single 10mm pieces representing platoons,companies and battalions.Non player insurgent benefiting the rebelling team,allied units benefiting the opposing team.

I have found that there must be visual representation however this can be done in a cursory fashion,the unit
detailed situation viewed on a small map having few counters,the general situation displayed on the table via miniatures and reference markers.The beauty of this system is that there is no need to move the miniatures,just their markers,neither is there the need to measure range as counters and map handle this function.

There have been updates.I have found it easier to read information off the on table map reference markers rather than flip through the rule book so have placed die modifiers ,type of bases here.I have added them to my site.

http://nilsdesperandum.angelfire.com/mh2/up-date.html

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your project sounds pretty cool. Would like you to update every now and then. Would be interesting to read where you take this. Thanks

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I can't be playing I like to read about others doing so. Your game sounds interesting and fun. If possible, can you explain a bit on the mechanics you're using for the Brown forces decisions? Anyway, thanks for the report, again sounds like fun.

antiochuss

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Been away for a year or so. Had trouble logging on or something. The system has evolved in such a way I don't recognize the previous stuff. The ultimate version is one where the victory track rules unit placement and combat. I have a number of games following the developed mechanics ranging from Mesopotamia, to ancient Greece, imperial China, colonial Africa and on to the golden triangle 1980s period. Test playing complete Everything ready to go, just a matter of formatting for publishing average ten page booklets plus maps rules 2d miniatures in each. Players supply plain 10"x10'' cardstock squares .2d may be replaced with miniatures.6-10mm.One,two and three ranks to a stand. Generally forces are composed of security force/fighting group ,fleet , phalanx/barbarian band, Han Ch'in army/barbarian .I am going to work and a modern war thing I have had for awhile when all of the previous is out of mind
magnesia.angelfire.com.mesopotamia

Last edited:

antiochuss

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello and welcome to the forums. Your project sounds pretty cool. Would like you to update every now and then. Would be interesting to read where you take this. Thanks
This what is happening so far

After five games featuring combined solo and pure solo I have quite by accident invented a combined arms game using naval minis and 10mm AFV plus aircraft SA AAA counters .Fits on a table top using a grid .A map denotes grid features which cover western Europe to China. Three ships to a side, plus three AFV each and insurgents belonging to each team. Westerners get UAV, easterners most insurgents. These insurgents are important as they can decide who gets to use the Suez Canal by creating an unstable situation.

Any ships types may be used so long as they are micro scale as the grid has 9'' squares. The number of ships in a square and a die decide the prevalent type in the fleet for a given moment; assault landing ships, mine warfare ships or destroyers. The former good at landing troops l, the second useful for mining or unblocking a port, the latter handy at tackling ships and long range missile fire.

Combat can not occur any where ,only in tactical squares so as to reflect the probable shape of modern war.I have included solo rules which was relatively easy as ships are more or less confined to a route western Europe, med, Suez, Indian ocean and South China sea, or med, Dardenelles , black sea.