Combat Mission: Red Thunder announced

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
.This is Bil Hardenberger's thread, playing Soviet His opponent is John Costello, playing Soviet.
I noticed that he even edited that thread. How can both players be Soviet? Has MD uncovered some secret 'feature' or has he started to show his dementia in even more pathetic ways?????

Last edited:

slm

Reaction score
I noticed that he even edited that thread. How can both players be Soviet? Has MD uncovered some secret 'feature' or has he started to show his dementia in even more pathetic ways?????
I don't know if that's a typo, but blue vs blue and red vs red has been possible already in CMSF.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I don't know if that's a typo, but blue vs blue and red vs red has been possible already in CMSF.
Yes, of course it's a typo. I am have fun poking at his silly post. Just like the other guy rowing 'down-hill'. And, no, I am not saying all Canadians row down-hill or are internet stalkers.

I suppose that MD got excited because he wanted to use Elvis' actual name to 'out' him. And Elvis really nailed him good in regards to his history of being creepy in regards to his crossing the line regarding people's privacy. Eh, maybe it's his parents fault. Who knows? They have free meds up there. I know that. I have an old army bud that lives in Calgary. He is bat-sheet bongoez on medz.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I guess there are no mine-roller T34's? No Shermans or Valentines? I see some people posting about LW divisions (that got crushed at the very start of Bagration)?

Many of these things (not mineroller) have already been 'made'? What is the party-line on this?
Yes, dale, I am replying to my own post. Now be a good boy and drive your old friends around. Soon, you may have to start dressing them. Best of luck with that.

3. Overall value to the customer. Everybody has to keep in mind that just because we've made something {note:sold something} once doesn't mean it should be free to everybody after {note:even if an actual part of the depicted battle}. If we put in Waffen SS and Luftwaffe into CMRT, would it have increased our sales any? Not in any real sense {note: so put as little as possible, if that is your attitude}. Which means we'd be giving things away "for free" that Western Front customers had to pay for. That doesn't seem fair {note; huh?}. It also isn't a good incentive for us to take on subjects that might not be paid off in one release. Commonwealth forces, for example, were a HUGE effort for us and I'm not sure we would have been satisfied with one $35 product for one Family. When we made these units we thought "we'll need them for Italy too, so we don't have to make all our money back in one release".
I suppose that we are getting a clearer insight into the mind of a 'business' person. It is nothing new to me. People can talk themselves into practically anything.

I haven't bought CW. I didn't buy CMFI either. Why can't he finally admit it that the whole family compartmentalizing was a backfire?

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just looked again in the boardgamegeek site. Does he have some kind of badge on his avatar saying he is a game designer and publisher? Does any know what game Dorosh has designed?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I just looked again in the boardgamegeek site. Does he have some kind of badge on his avatar saying he is a game designer and publisher? Does any know what game Dorosh has designed?
Maybe it was "Hide the Baloney: Calgary Military Peace Time Operations"?

I mean really, give that website some paypal and they will let you "promote" yourself whatever way you want. Maybe he has found a home. Among the, er, younger males.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
BTW, I was able to make a PCO map that has 3 different levels of lakes. Near Daugai, Lithuania (use Google Earth) are several lakes. After doing this I realize it doesn't get you much if anything. No one can tell. So the whole flowing river down hill business is a nitpicky pointless complaint.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, I was able to make a PCO map that has 3 different levels of lakes. Near Daugai, Lithuania (use Google Earth) are several lakes. After doing this I realize it doesn't get you much if anything. No one can tell. So the whole flowing river down hill business is a nitpicky pointless complaint.
I tend to look at something like that in a more positive way. If that kind of thing is among your biggest complaints then that says a lot of good things about the engine.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I tend to look at something like that in a more positive way. If that kind of thing is among your biggest complaints then that says a lot of good things about the engine.
There's no way anyone who isn't playing the game can comment on the engine. Now I would say from an artistic point of view the map is too park/golf course like. The green colors are too much the same.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I agree. And not only that, I believe he is actually wrong about his supposed scenario that he is nit-picking about. He claims that the Orne river is dropping something like 25 meters in 2000 meters. He gets this information from Google Earth he said. But, my understanding is that Google Earth's least accurate information is the elevation information. It is basically averaging out height objects and tall dense trees and buildings, etc. blur the data points. Even the following map, made by Mr. Picky, shows an interesting fact...

View attachment 44672

...The Orne river never crosses a 20m elevation line! It basically flows to the sea up North of Caen (sealevel). It is almost flowing like a canal and indeed, the French made canals off of it (Pegasus Bridge?). This map was probably 'colored-in' off another document. It is actually quite amusing, to me, that he chose to use green for the elevation gradients. Green is for vegetation in military and other maps. Browns would have been, ugh, not so stupid.

If one can really read a map you can tell that the Orne probably has higher banks near Louvigney where it curves away from the higher terrain to its left. My estimation is that the total drop in the height of the Orne on that map might be 15 meters from the bottom of the map to the top! That is thousands and thousands of meters.

It is actually at a low point in water depth during the June to October season (if anyone cares) but it does flood and did so not too long ago. It has been around since prehsitoric times and is not a 'Young River" (look that up) and canoeing can be done in both directions at a leisurely pace.

So, hopefully Ms. Nitpickey has found a nice spot to pontificate and pick nits and be wrong and no one cares.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Google gets a lot of its elevation from Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data plus they do some in-house adjusting and smoothing. That is because European data is at 90m resolution. (US is 30m.) So it averages all the elevations of that area into one number. In GE if you run the mouse along the river it goes up and down in elevation. Obvious the water isn't running up hill. So the average includes the land and the water elevations.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I hope they realize before the game is released that the ISU-122 and ISU-152 don't have gun locks on the rear plate.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any news on a release date?

How playable does the AAR build look?

I WANT

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any news on a release date?

How playable does the AAR build look?

I WANT
The bits and pieces that need cleaning up are mostly cosmetic at this point. Some improvements in that even changed as the AAR played out.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Although I tried to make the thread entertaining. I hope I did that at least
Yeah, on that map you could of just hunkered down in some woods and waited for them to come to you. How entertaining would that be?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I would suspect, given the number of views, that there were quite a few people on Friday afternoons hitting refresh at work. Muttering about the lack of posts.

But, I think this game is just another showcase for 'Attack-Happy-CM'itus. Specifically, the length of the battle itself, and most CMx2 battle lengths, give the attacker plenty of time to abuse the gamey features and chances to try different solutions. Attrition, Ammo-Depletion, Intel-Abuse, etc. the 'real-time' nature of the posting also seemed to allow a few intel leaks from people posting.

But I just think if Bil took all his forces and jammed them early at the right (his right) 'board edge', and just kept going, he would have won anyway without the showcasing of how to abuse the game. It seems that if Elvis so much as scratched his nose, the game gave up locations and info with contacts. Does anyone find the contact he got during the tank charge at Gelb odd? Basically three charging tanks with tank riders are flung down a road, beyond all other Soviet troops LOS, and they get a contact on the HMG in Gelb? Why the HMG never fires is a mystery. Elvis probably had him on hide and forgot him.

Steve certainly wanted the game to showcase 'How to Fight Like a Soviet'. BilH certainly spent half the game fighting like a gamey-CM player.

I am not sure if either player was truly aware of the others setup 'line'. Bil seemed to be searching areas that were vacant except for suicidal Elvis Recon guys.

I think Elvis did OK with his hand grenade and flamethrower. Maybe he will do better when there is a Marine module for CM. Until then, he needs to go back to tank driving 101.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Can anyone figure the game's range of the OT-34 flame attack? I have two sources, one says that the max is 130m and another says 60-65m. I tried to make an OT-34 for PCO, sadly the AI in that game doesn't allow two main weapons as the 76mm gun is also usable.

Bill did make good use of the woods. I think the lesson to be learned is how the game treats sighting and firing through deep woods.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Can anyone figure the game's range of the OT-34 flame attack? I have two sources, one says that the max is 130m and another says 60-65m. I tried to make an OT-34 for PCO, sadly the AI in that game doesn't allow two main weapons as the 76mm gun is also usable.

Bill did make good use of the woods. I think the lesson to be learned is how the game treats sighting and firing through deep woods.

one source...

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_OT-34_flamethrower_tank.html

ATO-43 used the exhaust 'fumes' to replace the compressed air cylinders? I would love to see how that worked. T-34s had compressed air cylinders anyway. I believe it was a method of starting the engine. I also think they would add an additional blast when the tank exploded. It would supply oxygen to a fire in a rapid burst. Basically turning the diesel fuel into an explosive.

I suppose it is not just the range but also the flow of fuel that is delivered by the flamethrower. 130 meters is pretty far.