Country
llVietnam
Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
???!!!7

Experience the most balanced period of tactical warfare on the Eastern Front, even as the Axis' strategic ability to wage war began to collapse

slm

Reaction score
Tank riders, flame throwers and ammo dumps are nice new features, but the really interesting thing is AI triggers.
Playing against the AI should be much more interesting now.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Well in advance? They beat us by weeks!!!!!

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Since I was a military cartographer...Maybe 'Mister Scenario' wants to model headwaters????

The gradient of a stream is a measure of how far a river drops in elevation as it travels a certain horizontal distance. The gradient is the drop in elevation of the river, divided by the run, or horizontal distance the river has traveled, as shown in the equation below:

Gradient (m/km) = rise / run = elevation change / horizontal distance

The gradient of a river tends to be highest at the headwaters; decreasing to essentially zero at the base level, as shown in the longitudinal profile.

Last edited:

mOBIUS

Reaction score
The gradient of a river tends to be highest at the headwaters; decreasing to essentially zero at the base level, as shown in the longitudinal profile.[/I]
I has nothing to do with that, Water is a texture mesh set at a certain height by an autogen map maker. We have that problem in PCO. User made maps can only set water at one level. Now, a person with a mesh editor like AutoDesk or Fragmotion can modify the mesh after making the map and remove part or raise a section for a stream. Also, if another lake is on the map they can raise or lower the mesh for that. I had to do that on one map that had a large river at one corner and a separate lake up a slope. I take it most people making maps don't have a 3D editor. It may not even be possible to edit a CM map as it may be compressed or encrypted.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I has nothing to do with that, Water is a texture mesh set at a certain height by an autogen map maker. We have that problem in PCO. User made maps can only set water at one level. Now, a person with a mesh editor like AutoDesk or Fragmotion can modify the mesh after making the map and remove part or raise a section for a stream. Also, if another lake is on the map they can raise or lower the mesh for that. I had to do that on one map that had a large river at one corner and a separate lake up a slope. I take it most people making maps don't have a 3D editor. It may not even be possible to edit a CM map as it may be compressed or encrypted.
Here is what MD said...

the fact that water can only exist at one contour level throughout an entire map. Makes no sense - water courses travel downhill - that's what a river or stream is. Water changing elevation.
So, lakes and still water are a different subject. MD seems to want to model the raging waters of the Congo River.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Isn't there an AAR in progress for RT? That map looks like it may be central Lithuania. At the pace its going if I knew where I bet I could make it with the PCO mapmaker from Google Earth, set up the scenario and finish the game before they play the first turn.
BTW, the land is pretty flat in central Lithuania so the rivers are not raging white water courses.

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Go canoeing sometime - even a mild stream/creek slopes down and it is easy to see when you are on them looking for the best channel.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Isn't there an AAR in progress for RT? That map looks like it may be central Lithuania. At the pace its going if I knew where I bet I could make it with the PCO mapmaker from Google Earth, set up the scenario and finish the game before they play the first turn.
BTW, the land is pretty flat in central Lithuania so the rivers are not raging white water courses.
This is perhaps the best method. Something like Mad Russian did for the 'Elephant' tests in PCO. That is, use realistic terrain from reality, not fantasy.

The use of a topo editor to conjure up some goofy battle landscape, with the intent of making a battle more 'fun', is another form of wargaming strangeness. Eh, if it keeps them happy, no problem, but they can start making fantasy games of WWII battles in the Himalayas for all I care.

Maybe these topo editors should have reality filters.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Discussions on this topic were opened on other forums well in advance of this one for those looking for a broader audience and respectful atmosphere to participate in:

Grogheads.com

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=9153.0

Boardgamegeek:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1114301/combat-mission-returns-to-eastern-front-preorder
Respectful? I guess I will quote MD regarding Elvis in that thread...

Re: CM Red Thunder page is up
« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:55:02 AM »
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 04:02:57 AM
a beta AAR is just starting up on the forum one from the Russian side and one from the German

For those who want the actual link:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113383

This is Bil Hardenberger's thread, playing Soviet His opponent is John Costello, playing Soviet. I'd recommend reading the Soviet side, as the German player is not exactly gifted, he's just a guy from the beta tester pool who's been hanging around the forums for years. Bil though is also an old CM player who also posts regularly about history, tactics, etc. and IIRC has done some scenario design work in the past. I thought he also had a website where he discusses tactics which is quite good.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113402

I see this is one of the "DAR" deals where they go through what they are doing in real time. John is currently posting about how he can't manage a decent screenshot. Interesting start.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Respectful? I guess I will quote MD regarding Elvis in that thread...
I sense you are correct. I'll probably poke my head in those forums to see what other ways he's chosen to slag me. I did chuckle that he used my name instead of my handle. I don't care if anyone knows my real name but it did remind me that doing something like that with a woman he used to date on the BBC forum is what got him banned. Something about making up sexual liaisons involving an ex girlfriend and another forum member. I sometimes wondered where he has been posting since being banned or running away from so many forums. It is had to imagine such a prolific poster going cold turkey. When you are as dishonest and morally bankrupt as him, you need to keep moving. His post is very similar to this, demonstratively factual but selling the subject short by ignoring their positives.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Go canoeing sometime - even a mild stream/creek slopes down and it is easy to see when you are on them looking for the best channel.
Could you post a picture? What is the 'slope'? Let's say for a 1000 ft. what is the drop in elevation? Do you sense a leaning forward or just 'see' this slope?

undercovergeek

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I sense you are correct. I'll probably poke my head in those forums to see what other ways he's chosen to slag me. I did chuckle that he used my name instead of my handle. I don't care if anyone knows my real name but it did remind me that doing something like that with a woman he used to date on the BBC forum is what got him banned. Something about making up sexual liaisons involving an ex girlfriend and another forum member. I sometimes wondered where he has been posting since being banned or running away from so many forums. It is had to imagine such a prolific poster going cold turkey. When you are as dishonest and morally bankrupt as him, you need to keep moving. His post is very similar to this, demonstratively factual but selling the subject short by ignoring their positives.
i always wondered why you were called Elvis - if indeed thats the reason!

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I guess there are no mine-roller T34's? No Shermans or Valentines? I see some people posting about LW divisions (that got crushed at the very start of Bagration)?

Many of these things (not mineroller) have already been 'made'? What is the party-line on this?

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I sense you are correct. I'll probably poke my head in those forums to see what other ways he's chosen to slag me. I did chuckle that he used my name instead of my handle. I don't care if anyone knows my real name
I finally read the thread at the Grog and he uses my real name as well. Then quotes something I said about David Heath, the former owner of Matrix, who I consider the driving force for the PCO project.

Last edited: