Combat Mission: Normandy, continued

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no "Tea Party". There are Tea Parties.

-dale
True. Or semi true. There is no Tea Party as there is a Democratic or Republican Party. But it has gone past just Tea Parties. There are now "Tea Party candidates" but the Tea Party idea is so nebulous that even that definition of a candidate can mean many things.

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
A new bit of information dropped by Steve:

... having to show the new lighted, animated water modeling we now have.
I have not yet seen it "in action" personally, since I am still setting up my new computer, but it looks pretty good on development screenshots.

Best regards,
Thomm

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A new bit of information dropped by Steve:

I have not yet seen it "in action" personally, since I am still setting up my new computer, but it looks pretty good on development screenshots.

Best regards,
Thomm
There was also a screen shot of 10 AFVs a few posts before the water comments. The posts seem to just be very light bones. Nothing meant to be Earth shattering or too revealing.

(Altough I can't believe you didn't make it the first thing you installed on the new rig...heck my new rig it was the first thing I checked)

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
(Altough I can't believe you didn't make it the first thing you installed on the new rig...heck my new rig it was the first thing I checked)
The first thing I am installing is the LaTeX environment so that I can continue working on my CM:N Beta Guide. Obvious, really! :D

Best regards,
Thomm

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking through that "safe to say" thread there's a whole lot of nothing going on with a teeny bit of something sprinkled in. Still no date, not title, one shot of a bunch of Shermans, and a claim that it would have been ready when they said except there was more stuff they wanted to add.

But Steve has shown evidence of learning behavior in one area: he has not mentioned any new dates. Amazing. :)

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking through that "safe to say" thread there's a whole lot of nothing going on with a teeny bit of something sprinkled in. Still no date, not title, one shot of a bunch of Shermans, and a claim that it would have been ready when they said except there was more stuff they wanted to add.

But Steve has shown evidence of learning behavior in one area: he has not mentioned any new dates. Amazing. :)

-dale
I wouldn't have expected more than that. Things like name announcement and more game details are something I would expect in a full blown announcement. Or possibly another sticky bone thread. Something mentioned on the 15th page of a thread will rarely be a huge reveal.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, the 15th page of a "when?" thread isn't the place. But 3+ years after CMSF is the time.

-dale

Last edited:

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't Steve say over2yearsago, they knew the name then?
I wouldn't be surprised. Steve says a lot of things. And it might've even been true at the time. The only thing I remember is a post within the last year or so where he assured us that it WASN'T going to be called CM:Normandy, or something.

I especially like the part in that thread where Elmar is poo-poohing the Sherman brew-up reputation. Such expertise is left among the players these days.

-dale

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I wouldn't be surprised. Steve says a lot of things. And it might've even been true at the time. The only thing I remember is a post within the last year or so where he assured us that it WASN'T going to be called CM:Normandy, or something.

I especially like the part in that thread where Elmar is poo-poohing the Sherman brew-up reputation. Such expertise is left among the players these days.

-dale
Elmar has demonstrated no expertise that I am aware of other than looking stuff up on Wikipedia.

Ah, but why did Shermans get that reputation? Because they used petrol engines? So did the Germans and they don't get this trait. Oh hell, not even the Panther got the "burns easily" and they caught fire without anyone shooting at it!
Besides, these are tanks loaded to the brim with explosives and the fuel, in the safest area of the tank, is supposed to be that big a factor? Hmmm, that doesn't seem likely.
I'm of the strong belief that there wasn't all that much in the design of the Sherman that made it catch fire any easier then other tanks. IMO it's a case of fairly weak armour meeting up with the potent guns of the Germans. Even the 75L48 is a pretty bad ass gun.
Germans typically had better armour going up against weak Allied guns. So no wonder that they enjoyed a better reputation. But the moment German tanks got shot at with decent guns, they went *woosh* too.

Shermans brewing up should be the natural result of armour v gun, not some magical +2 bonus to catching fire.
Ammunition stowage was responsible for increased fires; it wasn't just the number of fires, it was the rapidity with which they started to burn - within seconds of being hit. This is the reason the extra armour plate were added externally to the hulls over the stowage bins. It's discussed in detail by George Forty in his numerous books on the Sherman. See M4 Sherman (ISBN 0-71237-1678-9), p.53 for a start.

Patrocles

Reaction score
from the same thread...
I hope this statement from BFC is true...maybe we can see the game 1st quarter 2011, or at the least here more about CM:N over the next few months?
Bold is my emphasis!
:popc1:

Now that Afghanistan, NATO, and ToW: Caen are out the door we've got some more time to put into the promotion side of things.

The primary issue we have with putting out screenshots right now is we have a couple of unfinished models/textures that tend to show up quite readily in scenarios.
Experience has shown that people don't handle this very well so we tend to hold back until these sorts of details are sussed out. But from a development standpoint this is the least important thing to do so it comes at the end of development. Hence the fight between promotion and development. Since we're developers first, publishers second, we tend to steer away from promotion distractions. In the end that's a good thing for you guys (trust me ), but it can also be frustration in the short term.

Life is complicated

Steve
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=93241&page=15

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Oh, I know, I was just being snarky.

-dale
Ah, hence "such" expertise. Yes, it's sad. If him and Emrys are the best that the board has to offer, it's truly unfortunate, but I suppose all that is left from the "old days." Might pick up a bit on release. Until then, newcomers have to put up with their semi-informed babble.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if it's not going to be called CM:N then what game is Steve talking about here?

Heh... well, it is correct to say that CM:N won't have the steep introduction problems of CM:SF because it's based on the same code as is in use today. The whole point of a game engine is to fix things and then move on, not to fix things and then break 'em again

Having said that, the game isn't ready to release. Lots and lots of small lose ends to deal with. You dedicated types wouldn't probably mind seeing some turrets like this, but I think most people would.

Steve
Seems like there must be another game on the loose....

Good Hunting.

MR

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if it's not going to be called CM:N then what game is Steve talking about here?

Seems like there must be another game on the loose....

Good Hunting.

MR
The official name is different. It seems Steve is using the generic name that we have all been using in this post. I wouldn't bother reading more intoo it than that.

As far as military scholars and experts go the current forum seems to have the same amount (or maybe percentage would be more accurate) of posters, as it always has. To quote only the uninformed and semi-informed is inaccurate. As long as I have been around CM for every "flawed" comment there is always an "expert" to come in and point it out. Always has been been and always will be with this niche. (I love when I speak in absolutes) There has never been a shortage of either. Nature of the beast.

That said, the bottom line point of Elmars post is one that I happen to agree with:

Shermans brewing up should be the natural result of armour v gun, not some magical +2 bonus to catching fire.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just started a thread all it's own for that bottom line comment. See you there.

Good Hunting.

MR

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new thread doesn't reference this quote, so I'll respond about it here:

It's not just a matter of "armour v gun". It's also a matter of, once the armor is penetrated, where the trajectory of the round intersects with the burnable parts of the tank. Is CMx2 really supposed to be so advanced that it identifies each of the vulnerable parts of the tank's interior, has an algorithm for calculating the (possibly changing) trajectory of the round through them, and then can calculate what the odds are of each of them going off? Does the base research into Sherman interiors and the effects of guns on them even exist to support such a feature?

I'm guessing the answer to all of these is no, so I'm perfectly happy with a magical +2 bonus to catching fire. I'd rather have semi-realistic water than uber-realistic vehicle destruction...

John

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new thread doesn't reference this quote, so I'll respond about it here:

It's not just a matter of "armour v gun". It's also a matter of, once the armor is penetrated, where the trajectory of the round intersects with the burnable parts of the tank. Is CMx2 really supposed to be so advanced that it identifies each of the vulnerable parts of the tank's interior, has an algorithm for calculating the (possibly changing) trajectory of the round through them, and then can calculate what the odds are of each of them going off? Does the base research into Sherman interiors and the effects of guns on them even exist to support such a feature?

I'm guessing the answer to all of these is no, so I'm perfectly happy with a magical +2 bonus to catching fire. I'd rather have semi-realistic water than uber-realistic vehicle destruction...

John
I believe the gist of what you are saying is what Elmar meant with his post.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wargames at best are abstractions, At worst they are bad abstractions.

Good Hunting.

MR