Combat Mission: Campaigns CANCELLED

shell-shocked

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I downloaded CMC again for a look and I saw some talk about CMBB having 50% launch probability. Even if it worked, those communication file specs had a bit too many questions for my liking.

I think you guys are right. I won't waste time trying to make something useful out of it.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded CMC again for a look and I saw some talk about CMBB having 50% launch probability. Even if it worked, those communication file specs had a bit too many questions for my liking.

I think you guys are right. I won't waste time trying to make something useful out of it.
I don't think I ever got CMBB to launch from CMC. I did get it to create the battles that would show up in the saved games or scenario list or somefink like that. I had a ray of hope when that firist happened.

TigerTiger

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked at the downloaded code. Everything is so unorganized for what is meant to be a product.

I think the only way to achieve a playable Campaign is to discard CMC and look at CMBB alone.

Let me list what I believe are the critical issues that prevent making this game work in Campaign mode:
Bad documentation or lack thereof.
Bad interface support.
Python in terms of longevity.
Python in terms of scalability.
Unit Test not in place. What I found is System Testing referred to as UT.

The SVN files may help in retrieving the earlier versions of CMC. Did someone try to load this in SVN to get the base version out? We could get the version of CMC just before things started falling apart.

Someone at BFC must have known this is not going to work but they let CMC happen. CMC should not have been started without re-designing and re-implementing the CM engine. I don't even think CMC would have been needed if CMBB had been re-done right.

It would be a great help if they can make CMBB source as Open Source. Any chance of that happening?

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be a great help if they can make CMBB source as Open Source. Any chance of that happening?
It doesn't run at all, BTW. The modified version of CMBB, which is required, is encoded with a license key that is expired.

Even if it did work, since you cannot modify the CMBB binary included you can do whatever you want with the source code around it without any hope of getting the product it was intended to be. Heck you can't even fix the victory points bug.

Open Source CMx1? I'm in.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I know a guy that lives in Concord, NH...what was his name again? Artemus? Luna? Yeah, Artemus Luna. He flew away. Like a Canary.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have sent BFC an email explaining why they should make CMx1 open source.
...and there's not a hope in hell of it happening. BFC is almost as protective of their IP as Apple is - there is no way they will hand over their code.
It's not what you want to hear, but just move on.

There is another group of coders trying to write up a campaign system for the newer (I think) CM. They had a pretty bad Kickstarter a little while ago and have gone back to the drawing board before trying again.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Errrm.

BFC never gave as much openness as a list of texture file names (numbers) to mod CMx1. People had to find out try-n-error. Afterwards BFC claimed to be a mod-friendly company.