Combat Mission: Campaigns CANCELLED

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So how do I make this thing do something that will resolve in a CMBB battles? It seems to noodle around in the Python stuff happily.

BTW, is "CMC" native American language for "white man starring at hourglass"?

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
As Peterk1 said earlier : stick to the smaller campaigns.

I did all my beta testing with a campaign called Prokhovka Assault or something like that. I managed to get a few battles out of that one.

Play as the Russians and advance on the flags with 'move'. Don't use advance orders as they are slow as hell.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. What do I have to turn off again to make things less hourglassy?

shell-shocked

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yes, CalculateSupply (or something like it) is a function in that file. I simply renamed original function and made the new one do nothing. It worked for the first turn, but on the second turn CMC hanged. It's likely you should not just make that function do nothing at all. I couldn't bother trying to decipher that function. I don't like Python and that function was something like 400 lines long, not counting calls to other helper functions.

On the other hand CMC crashed a couple of times even without changing that function...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I'll postphone this project to when I'm more bored.

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys onodoken from the BF forums, good stuff going on here Quick Q: Any way to extrapolate the graphics from the source code/ build?

Best of luck with CMC.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys onodoken from the BF forums, good stuff going on here Quick Q: Any way to extrapolate the graphics from the source code/ build?

Best of luck with CMC.
There are 14493 *.bmp files in the rar files.

Good hunting, man :)

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Thanks man, now I will DL the source code.:)

Nice website, will definitely "troll" around a bit.

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Hey Redwolf, I read in the BF forum that you have and "executable" version of CMC. Mind sharing it, I can give it a go and provide some input as well if you like.

My programming skills are a bit rusty to say the least and compiling with Python- well, I don't have a clue.

Thanks.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Redwolf, I read in the BF forum that you have and "executable" version of CMC. Mind sharing it, I can give it a go and provide some input as well if you like.

My programming skills are a bit rusty to say the least and compiling with Python- well, I don't have a clue.

Thanks.
I will p.m. you the instructions to the ready-zipfile I have.

You must have enough skills to define a Z: drive. And to edit the registry in one key, unfortunately the current architecture of CMC requires that.

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
I posted this on BF and no answer as of today. is it possible they messed up making all of this Open Source? CMBB is inside the dev package?

"Hello gang, did a quick search but no dice, if this has been addressed before please post link. Also I have not read the term and agreements. If someone from BF can answer all the better.

I downloaded the opensource CMC files from Sourceforge.net and it includes a lot of artwork etc. from CM. Can everything included in the developer files be utilized freely and openly for any project, even those not related to CMC?

Thanks."

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is licensed under the GPL license. That means you can freely use it or parts of in for an other project, related or not.

The restrictions are:
  • whoever you give your final product to you must also provide the source code, including your changes.
  • you cannot restrict that recipient from re-distributing it freely, to anybody, without crediting or notifying you.
  • you cannot place it under any other licenses or add any other license restrictions on top of the GPL. This also means you cannot mix GPL code like this with code that comes under any other licenses that have even minimally more restrictions in the same executable.
Of course the license thing on part of BFC is partially half-baken since obviously they didn't intend to place the CMBB executable itself under the GPL.

Note that the newest CMBB executable in there doesn't work since it is elicense but there is no way to activate the elicense for it. This has never been resolved and it seems the interest isn't there.

grofaz

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Hey Red thanks. Hmmmm so for all intents and puposes BF released CMBB under GPL minus the elicensing. Then technically anyone can make a new game based on the engine?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Red thanks. Hmmmm so for all intents and puposes BF released CMBB under GPL minus the elicensing. Then technically anyone can make a new game based on the engine?
No. It is obviously a mistake. The CMBB executables in there (most have the CD check, not elicense) also come with their own copyright and license splash screen IIRC. You would fail in court.

Plus you don't have the source. I don't understand why the question even comes up.