College Football 2014

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't worry, but Ohio State will have 2 losses so they won't be part of the controversy.
Maybe maybe not should be a good game in 2 weeks. Looking more and more like the winner of that game has a GOOD chance to be in the final 4. Lotta football to be played. Been a fun year for CFB.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe maybe not should be a good game in 2 weeks. Looking more and more like the winner of that game has a GOOD chance to be in the final 4. Lotta football to be played. Been a fun year for CFB.
Not so sure. Either one of those teams really haven't played anybody or should say beat anybody. I see a one loss SEC or Pac-12 team getting in there before a one loss Big 10 team at this point. ND played well enough to keep a spot open as well. But yes, that is why CFB is my favorite sport, always dynamic.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm not so sure it was a good call. The defender had his hands all over the receiver. The defender instigated the contact. It's a judgement call that I don't think is clear cut. Hey you live by the luck of the Irish you die by the luck of the Irish. Besides I don't want to see anyone finish the season undefeated. Even with 4 teams in the playoffs its going to be controversial who gets in.

It's always a judgement call on the official's part, however, if the two receivers had turned to face the QB and assumed a "receiving position", I think it would have been a no-call and a TD. All that the two receivers had to do was to fake attempting to catch the ball; they looked like they were out to block, which is a no-no.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States

Since it's in East Lansing, even I think MSU will win. All I'm wishing for is that MSU pounds the ever-livin dog sh!t out of the Weaselines this weekend!

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it's in East Lansing, even I think MSU will win. All I'm wishing for is that MSU pounds the ever-livin dog sh!t out of the Weaselines this weekend!
REP REP REP! I think OSU is playing with house money now with Braxton out anyway. I wouldn't bet money on the Buckeyes. I would actually prefer it if the Big ten didn't make it into the playoffs this year and drop down a notch in the bowl games. This way I think they could do better in the bowl and help them reestablish themselves on the national stage. But the Big 12 AND PAC12 are playing themselves out of a playoff spot. this leaves FSU, ND whoever wins the SEC. I don't see the committee picking another SEC team over a 1 loss BIG10 champ.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
REP REP REP! I think OSU is playing with house money now with Braxton out anyway. I wouldn't bet money on the Buckeyes. I would actually prefer it if the Big ten didn't make it into the playoffs this year and drop down a notch in the bowl games. This way I think they could do better in the bowl and help them reestablish themselves on the national stage. But the Big 12 AND PAC12 are playing themselves out of a playoff spot. this leaves FSU, ND whoever wins the SEC. I don't see the committee picking another SEC team over a 1 loss BIG10 champ.

I think that the only way the SEC will get a second team in the playoffs is if somehow the SEC East champ beats the SEC West champ. Here's my breakdown of the SEC West.

Alabama: currently with one loss (Ole Miss). Still has to play at LSU (cue Psycho), and Miss St and Auburn at home. Will most likely end up with one more loss.

Auburn: currently with one loss (Miss St). Has a brutal upcoming schedule: at Ole Miss, at Georgia, at Alabama. Good shot at two more losses.

Miss St: undefeated. Plays at Alabama and at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss: undefeated. Plays at LSU (this weekend), Auburn and Miss St. May have the advantage over Miss St due to the two home games.

I believe that the SEC playoff rep will come out of the State of Mississippi this year.

I also think that the playoff format will be extended to 8 teams fairly soon. There is more parity than ever in college football and it will make the "best four" teams harder to pick. There will still be controversy with eight teams, but less. With four teams you get "is a one loss Miss St (and not SEC champ) better than a one loss Oregon or a one loss Mich St given their respective schedules?"

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was a legit call. Pick plays are a no-no, and they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. If he would have run his route correctly he would have rubbed the defender on his way by, but he ran his route poorly and cost them. Domers always find something to cry about, but when even Lou Holtz who is a real fan boy for ND is saying it was a penalty, then kind of seals the deal for me.

BTW - If you are a Jet's fan who needs to drown his sorrows in CFB, then I suggest you pick out your favorite college team and buy a jersey. It will probably get more use over the year's than that Joe Namath Jet's jersey you have hanging in your closet. :laugh:
Very funny, Dave. And it's a Ken O'Brien I'll have you know.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not so sure. Either one of those teams really haven't played anybody or should say beat anybody. I see a one loss SEC or Pac-12 team getting in there before a one loss Big 10 team at this point. ND played well enough to keep a spot open as well. But yes, that is why CFB is my favorite sport, always dynamic.
Don't look now here come the Buckeyes.

WTF happened to ur Cornhuskers?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't look now here come the Buckeyes.

WTF happened to ur Cornhuskers?
Yeah, Barrett looked pretty good. Cornhuskers sh*t the bed and rolled around in it for 3 quarters. Seems like every team for the 15 years has a game like that...I even turned it off in the 3rd quarter and watched cheesy holiday movies on the Hallmark channel. It was that bad.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
All is right in the world again -- Alabama is back at #1.

I think OSU just might sneak in to the playoff. Miss St will drop off if they don't make the SEC championship (Auburn has to win in Tuscaloooa, not an easy proposition). TCU merely plays "another game" when everyone else will be fighting for conference championships; not a good move for the Big 12. I think if Ohio State can put up 40+ in each of their final two regular season games, that might get them to #4.

BTW, anyone seen Dion lately?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All is right in the world again -- Alabama is back at #1.

I think OSU just might sneak in to the playoff. Miss St will drop off if they don't make the SEC championship (Auburn has to win in Tuscaloooa, not an easy proposition). TCU merely plays "another game" when everyone else will be fighting for conference championships; not a good move for the Big 12. I think if Ohio State can put up 40+ in each of their final two regular season games, that might get them to #4.

BTW, anyone seen Dion lately?
I wouldn't get used to it. Bama isn't a great team. A good team, but they aren't the Bama of the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised they lose again before the playoffs.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't get used to it. Bama isn't a great team. A good team, but they aren't the Bama of the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised they lose again before the playoffs.

No, they're not a great team. But then again, I don't see any other "great" teams out there.

Western Carolina will show up to pick up a check for half a million or so. Next is the Iron Bowl, and it's in Tuscaloosa this year. Aurburn is not the rushing team they were last year and their secondary is horrible. Missouri will probably win the SEC East, with Tennessee (2-4 SEC) on the road and Arkansas (1-5 SEC) at home.

Probably the current playoff team I would be most concerned with as an opponent would be Oregon. Florida State is not the team they were last year; TCU might get knocked out by the Big 12 NOT having a championship game. Ohio State could slip in the Final Four and be a contender; they are peaking at the right time.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no one team that looks great. There are probably 8-10 very good teams. There are going to be a couple of teams that don't make the playoff that could win it all. If ever there was a year for an 8 or 16 team playoff this is it.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gonna be a great Sat. of college football. All the rivalry games and DaWife is going out of town. GO BUCKS, On Wisconsin, War eagle, Go Gaters, Go Ole Miss. That's my heart talking not my head.

Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I sat thru the U of M vs. OSU game and REALLY big regional rivarly....

U of M played a good 1st half. Then came apart like a cheap suit to OSU in the 2nd half. Oh, and OSU played a good game.....not a good receipe if you're a U of M fan.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I sat thru the U of M vs. OSU game and REALLY big regional rivarly....

U of M played a good 1st half. Then came apart like a cheap suit to OSU in the 2nd half. Oh, and OSU played a good game.....not a good receipe if you're a U of M fan.

Mark DV
Ada, MI
With Barrett breaking his ankle, I don't see them beating Wisconsin anymore. BTW - When is the last time you have seen 99 points scored in a SEC game. Maybe Big 12 or Pac-12, but what happen to the collective defenses?

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With Barrett breaking his ankle, I don't see them beating Wisconsin anymore. BTW - When is the last time you have seen 99 points scored in a SEC game. Maybe Big 12 or Pac-12, but what happen to the collective defenses?
Unfortunately I agree. If they do win it Urban Meyer should be a shoe in for Big 10 coach of the year but there is a definite bias against naming OSU coaches COY. Hey looks like Nebraska is looking for a new coach. I thought sure Brady would be the first to go.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately I agree. If they do win it Urban Meyer should be a shoe in for Big 10 coach of the year but there is a definite bias against naming OSU coaches COY. Hey looks like Nebraska is looking for a new coach. I thought sure Brady would be the first to go.
F'n stupid if you ask me. Sure, Pelini isn't a Nick Saban, but this is Nebraska and it ain't 1995 no more, Virginia. He ran a clean program, kids liked playing for him and he graduated them. Fire a nine win coach for the 2nd time isn't going to bring in the next upcoming coach no matter how much money you throw at them. I have been a Husker fan for as long as I can remember watching my first game when I was about 4 years old. I am highly disappointed and surely not very excited about what's next. We have seen this play before with Callahan.

As for Barrett that is a real shame. He was having a really great season and I liked watching him play. He didn't make dumb decisions with the ball. Ohio St. is still a decent team, but he dual threat he brought I don't think gets replaced easily and Wisconsin defense is good enough to key on all of the other play makers.

Last edited:

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Nebraska:

Agreed, Dave, f'n stupid. The man was 67-27 (better than Osborne at the same point) and never fewer than nine wins. Biggest problem? No conference championships and no major bowl appearances. Good luck trying to find a better coach (see Michigan for what happens when you fire a good coach and see Rich Rodriguez for what happens when you get fired).

Ohio State:

Have to give the edge to Wisconsin in the title game now that Barrett is out. They may be able to circle the wagons, but it's going to be tough. One the other hand, and maybe somewhat more importantly, the Weaselines are the Buckeyes b!tches AGAIN for another 365 days (how's that feel Dion?)

Alabama:

Didn't see the game (driving back from the beach), but no one played any defense. Doesn't bode well if the come up against a passing team like Oregon.

Right now, I'd put Oregon at #1, Alabama at #2, FSU at #3 and leave TCU at #4. With Barrett out, I can't put the Buckeyes in that #4 spot. However, if they beat Wisconsin, I could see them slide into #4.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
F'n stupid if you ask me. Sure, Pelini isn't a Nick Saban, but this is Nebraska and it ain't 1995 no more, Virginia. He ran a clean program, kids liked playing for him and he graduated them. Fire a nine win coach for the 2nd time isn't going to bring in the next upcoming coach no matter how much money you throw at them. I have been a Husker fan for as long as I can remember watching my first game when I was about 4 years old. I am highly disappointed and surely not very excited about what's next. We have seen this play before with Callahan.

As for Barrett that is a real shame. He was having a really great season and I liked watching him play. He didn't make dumb decisions with the ball. Ohio St. is still a decent team, but he dual threat he brought I don't think gets replaced easily and Wisconsin defense is good enough to key on all of the other play makers.
Pelini could be a Saban if he coached in the south. damn tough to recruit guys to Nebraska. Simple demographics more recruits are from the south.

OSU just got lucky getting Meyer. It would be funny as hell if they could get Jim Harbaugh.