Collateral attack

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A HMG w 6 FP fires at a CE halftrack as ordnance and hits on a roll of 1,2. The LOS crossed a orchard and a 1+ for early morning applies.

1. IS original TH roll used for attack on IFT?
  2. WHat FP on attack on crew?
  3. Does hindrance and mist apply on the collateral attack?
  4. If fired in enemy mph can resid be left by this attack?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A HMG w 6 FP fires at a CE halftrack as ordnance and hits on a roll of 1,2. The LOS crossed a orchard and a 1+ for early morning applies.

1. IS original TH roll used for attack on IFT?
  2. WHat FP on attack on crew?
  3. Does hindrance and mist apply on the collateral attack?
  4. If fired in enemy mph can resid be left by this attack?
1 The effects DR is also the collateral [D.8]
2 Six FP
3 No. The hindrance/mist should have applied to the TH DR. The CE DRM will apply.
4 Yes [A8.2]

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note also the RFP will be reduced one column for the orchard hindrance but not for the +1 LV (A8.26).

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
So- assume have a 347 HS with a .50 cal HMG whitin 3 hexes of a CE King Tiger and both hexes in between are orchards.

If I got it right this means that direct IFT attack would be 8+4. But if I fire TK attempt against the tank I hit with 10 or less and the TK attempt results in 8+2 collateral attack on the CE crew.

If I got it right this just became a bucket list item for me. :)

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems too good to be true, but the example in D.8 is clear. I will have to remember this one!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Seems too good to be true, but the example in D.8 is clear. I will have to remember this one!
It only works because the TH DR are very good even with the two hindrances because the vehicle is double-large and stationary. If you are shooting at a moving British Wasp you are better off firing on the IFT. Also the collateral attack is a specific collateral attack, meaning that if there are any infantry in the hex the TH attack will not affect them. It is an attack to consider, but it is not the right move every time.

JR

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Need to hit first and then effect.. probability of causing damage is surely less with the hit and kill that with the IFT direct attack.. hindrances are taken in effect in the to hit process and maybe you can get the exact number of hindrances you need to be a good choice.. EX If leader directed, something very usual with a .50cal at any game, choice is usually bad because leadership does’t affect the final IFT roll.. remember no CH effects on collateral attacks..

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It is a bucket list item as it needs special circumstances to be successful as you all already pointed out. Most of the time a straight IFT attack is of course the best option.

Actually if you really need to make a low FP LMG or MMG shot count it is could be a better option - after all 2+2 or 4+2 is better than the same shot with hindrance DRMs and you will not cower- so those lucky snakes will count.

But again, this is still something to be used in desperation, not a standard game winning tactic.

Last edited:

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
A real good use is for Fire Lane placement without leader direction. To Hit attemp are exempt from cowering and so Fire Lane and no Final Fire on the units becomes a sure result.
If riders atop, there is an extra to take the choice.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Note that a MG firing on the IFT can FG with other units.
So it can be quite frequent to have better odds using the IFT.
And a Königtiger should not be CE in proximity of enemy infantry... so that is a infrequent occurrence.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, I can see when hindrances make the IFT useless, then a TH can wash those away, especially vs. a large target.
And I agree that it is a fun 'bucket list' event. Needs to be on every tournament bingo card!