Coin envelopes - Back to the future?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I may be coming around to the idea of coin envelopes and trading card binder sheets as the way to store vehicles and ordnance.11801

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I may be coming around to the idea of coin envelopes and trading card binder sheets as the way to store vehicles and ordnance.
This is a similar idea: coin pages using 2×2 clear plastic bags. You need the plastic bags because otherwise the counters slide out. The counter density is higher, and you don't have to make the fancy labels because the counters are visible.

Even with the higher density it takes a lot of pages to fit the counters, and there is lots of air. I use this system to store my third-party counters. I have a five-inch binder full of pages.

Even if you decided to go with the larger pocket pages you should be able to find clear plastic ziplock bags of a suitable size. Search for ASL/crack supplies.

JR

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't want to go to THAT much work. I'm not even sure having the vehicle type is worth it, but the Chapter H note Number, name and picture seemed to make sense for visual searching for me. I'll read Chapter H for the details.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, that's an interesting idea, I'll look into that as well, I'm still early in the process and am still "prototyping" it. There's a fair amount of air in a Plano system (which is what I currently have) as well.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR, that's an interesting idea, I'll look into that as well, I'm still early in the process and am still "prototyping" it.
The only think I'll add is that the plastic baggies are floppy and harder to get into the pockets. I have some popsicle sticks (frequently sold as "craft sticks") that I use to push them in and out.

There's a fair amount of air in a Plano system (which is what I currently have) as well.
Not much in most of mine. But I put items from multiple nationalities in one box and select mostly by color.

JR

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome, I'll definitely check 'em out.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found these containers at the container store. They look very usable for coin envelopes and cheap $$-wise.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found these containers at the container store. They look very usable for coin envelopes and cheap $$-wise.

View attachment 11822
I made the coin envelopes for my travel kit. Since I usually fly to tournaments (primarily ASLOK) weight was my top consideration. I wanted to keep the checked bags under 50 lbs.

I use this for the boards (thanks Pleva). It is pretty full. I'm behind in my purchases and I'm hoping all the new boards will still fit. I might need to go with something else:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MK16O3O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these for the coin envelopes. 800 count for big nationalities and 400 count for small ones. Germans have some spill over into the Americans (guns).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E46J6PQ/?coliid=I200HHUHYF1LY1&colid=17S98R8PAJ13C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K3XQ8U/?coliid=I388O9MSNLIMHB&colid=17S98R8PAJ13C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For infantry I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005571O5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was fortunate during my travel days to win a $1000 gift certificate from Briggs and Riley for completing a survey after I bought a piece of luggage and I got a really nice rolling duffel to hold coin envelopes, infantry, and misc stuff.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is exactly why I posted that container so that others could post their counter storage solutions.

I have a box similar to your large AFV box to store my maps. I had saw the carry case [maps], that Pleva shared but was looking for something that could also hold a rule book and other miscellaneous ASL paraphernalia. If you see a good alternative could you share it?

I had bought a RAACO carry kit so that will take my Infantry/ Info counters as I have too much $$$ invested to not use it.

I had seen those containers, that I had posted from the container store, and thought that I could use 1 for the Allies and the other for the Axis (approximately $20 a piece). You would have 3 trays in each container to make it a little easier to find the correct counter, sorted by Chapter H number. You can also label each individual tray for ease of use as well.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I made the coin envelopes for my travel kit. Since I usually fly to tournaments (primarily ASLOK) weight was my top consideration. I wanted to keep the checked bags under 50 lbs.

I use this for the boards (thanks Pleva). It is pretty full. I'm behind in my purchases and I'm hoping all the new boards will still fit. I might need to go with something else:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MK16O3O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these for the coin envelopes. 800 count for big nationalities and 400 count for small ones. Germans have some spill over into the Americans (guns).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E46J6PQ/?coliid=I200HHUHYF1LY1&colid=17S98R8PAJ13C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K3XQ8U/?coliid=I388O9MSNLIMHB&colid=17S98R8PAJ13C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For infantry I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005571O5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was fortunate during my travel days to win a $1000 gift certificate from Briggs and Riley for completing a survey after I bought a piece of luggage and I got a really nice rolling duffel to hold coin envelopes, infantry, and misc stuff.
Thanks for posting the links for the coin envelope boxes. I've been switching over to coin envelopes, using the info from Texas ASL club (cheers as it is great!). I have been having a hard time finding a good container for the coin envelopes, though. I just wish those boxes were plastic to make it waterproof. :)

Thanks again!
MikeS

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting the links for the coin envelope boxes. I've been switching over to coin envelopes, using the info from Texas ASL club (cheers as it is great!). I have been having a hard time finding a good container for the coin envelopes, though. I just wish those boxes were plastic to make it waterproof. :)

Thanks again!
MikeS
I’m looking for waterproof boxes myself but I’ve had no luck. Post a link if you find something and don’t forget to buy me a beer at aslok.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks again!
MikeS
I’m looking for waterproof boxes myself but I’ve had no luck. Post a link if you find something and don’t forget to buy me a beer at aslok.
I found these at the container store. They cost $9.99 each and each insert costs 6.99 (total of 3). They measure 11-3/4" x 15-3/4" x 4-3/4" h.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am going to use 2 of them. One for Axis, 1 for Allies 5/8 in. counters plus all of the LFT/ BFP, & LC extras as well.

The 3 storage trays will help in that you would not have to expose everything to an accident and the containers themselves are lockable. They look like a winner so far.