COCAT (MOCAT) Tutorials?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would you guys like to see in-depth tutorials for using the newly coded (but yet to be released) MOCAT?

It is a modified COCAT II, not the COCAT 2.xx and has many neat features overt he older version we are using now. Those who were involved in Red Snow might remember the COCAT II version.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Here this is just to let everyone see the logo for MOCAT. I'm just about done with it just fixing up the gif files for the units.

Plus with the help from Tinjaw for answering all my questions :nuts: should be ready for DD.

JohnO

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What exactly do these tools help with? And where, if I were interested, would I be able to get them from?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thatguy said:
What exactly do these tools help with? And where, if I were interested, would I be able to get them from?
COCAT (now MOCAT -which will be modifed for WW2 as well) is a Multiplayer Campaign Management Tool. Basically it allows you to add and Operational/Strategic Overlay to a tactical Game system such as Steel Panthers. It is not integrated in with these other game interfaces BUT mainly allows for tracking OOB's, movement on an operational map and many, many other things.

Here are a couple screenshots of the older version that we are using for NATO vs WP Combat Campaign. --> COCAT 2.2 Screenshots.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting, so it sort of takes Steel Panthers up a notch to a far larger scale wargame, but within a format that allows a "God" to set up the sort of multi-player multi-battle mega combat campaigns you have. That's really cool actually.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a new version now called MOCAT that I may post and ask people to install and run some tests with. This is a much more user friendly version of COCAT and I may consider using it for the Human Team vs AI campaigns. Players will still be able to use the hex movement path method like we are doing now by posting on the forums too if they prefer. What i would like is for people to have the chance to play with it and get familiar with it. I may also at some point, convert the NATO vs WP campaign to use it.

These are ALL big "ifs" though. ;)

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted in another thread but probably should have posted here in this one.

I have the latest version of MOCAT and will be testing it shortly. From this version I will be working on some tutorials so players can get comfortable with it.

Also, John Osborne has done extensive work on this program, from the inside, :smoke: AND has also written a pretty detailed manual for it that should go a long way in explaining how some things work.

Gone are the "error" messages many used to get (missing files and such) and it also includes a self-installer and un-installer.

I think we finally have a stable campaign management tool so that everyone can actually participate directly in any future campaigns.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted in another thread but probably should have posted here in this one.

I have the latest version of MOCAT and will be testing it shortly. From this version I will be working on some tutorials so players can get comfortable with it.

Also, John Osborne has done extensive work on this program, from the inside, :smoke: AND has also written a pretty detailed manual for it that should go a long way in explaining how some things work.

Gone are the "error" messages many used to get (missing files and such) and it also includes a self-installer and un-installer.

I think we finally have a stable campaign management tool so that everyone can actually participate directly in any future campaigns.

I'm going to need to get this then,if I'm going to help in any future campaigns. I can work on map making for the next one you decide doing if you like.

What about Vietnam (65-70) for a Human vs AI campaign? Computer gets NVA,VC

John Osborne

Reaction score
I'm going to need to get this then,if I'm going to help in any future campaigns. I can work on map making for the next one you decide doing if you like.

What about Vietnam (65-70) for a Human vs AI campaign? Computer gets NVA,VC
Skirmisker if you want you can go here Regional Thunder MBX to download it and see if there is any problems in loading it up. This is my website for a future MBX :D

JohnO

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Skirmisker if you want you can go here Regional Thunder MBX to download it and see if there is any problems in loading it up. This is my website for a future MBX :D

JohnO

Thanks, I downloaded version 1 ,August 2006 of MOCAT. I get an error when I try to run it though.

runtime error 339

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid.

:OHNO: :surprise:

I ran a registry check and looking good there.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Ok, look in the MOCAT dir and you will see the folder "systems". Open it up, copy the file "comdlg32.ocx" from the system folder and place it in the MOCAT dir. That should fix it.

JohnO

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, look in the MOCAT dir and you will see the folder "systems". Open it up, copy the file "comdlg32.ocx" from the system folder and place it in the MOCAT dir. That should fix it.

JohnO

That did it,it's running now,and I see that new Island map Double Deuce mentioned. When you iron out the tutorials please let me know where to get them. Thanks

John Osborne

Reaction score
That did it,it's running now,and I see that new Island map Double Deuce mentioned. When you iron out the tutorials please let me know where to get them. Thanks
Thats something that DD is doing. What you can do is take a look at the MOCAT User Guide and see if it makes since to you and try to build units and so on. Need to see from a new pair of eyes if there is a problem with the user guide and using MOCAT.

And thanks,
JohnO

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I downloaded version 1 ,August 2006 of MOCAT. I get an error when I try to run it though.

runtime error 339

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid.

:OHNO: :surprise:

I ran a registry check and looking good there.
Something John did was include the 'comdlg32.ocx' and some other files that used to cause issues directly in the installer so they are right there and handy rather than before where people had to DL separately and move them around in the file system.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to update everyone on the progress of MOCAT's upgrade/refinement. John is in the process of rewriting the MOCAT Manual to make it easier for all of us to learn to use this excellent tool.

The draft he just sent me has a huge amount of screenshots (one for about every menu screen you would see with step by step of what does what, etc) and is presently about 45 pages long.