CMx2: Massive Mutational Fail, Misunderstood Chrysalis or Evolutionary Species?

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have been extremely turned off by the petty drivel and ad hominem attacks that have emerged as the standard of discussion on these boards as of late. While appalled by this behavior yet still interested in the game itself, without any other forum that suitable for discussions that interest me, I return to GS, as a tentative and potentially short visit. I make a heartfelt plea to keep emotions, petty squabbles and general bad behaviour shelved in this thread if you have any interest in responding to it.

The topic of discussion is philosophical: what do we really have in the new CMx2 engine and what are we to look forwad to come the WW2 release? Now, the general contentions of the CMx2 engines are many, but I think I have perhaps found three broad perspectives of which all debate and argument falls into:

1) that CMx2 is a mutational fail. Like many other strategy games of the past, it forsakes success in the past in many areas for a newness that allows it to be a sequal, but also changes the nature of the game to fit the evolving market, and seeks to enter new markets, effectively trying to keep the games feet in two worlds. Like many examples in the past: X-Com UFO defence nd Master of Orion comes to mind, a new genre, new engines and new settings are developed to renew the best of the old to keep as much of the old market a possible, and also appeal to new ones. With the key point of analysis being that the objective of the development process in the new engine was to keep both customers happy, it could not. Thus it is regarded as a mutation and massive fail by most of the old market and a passable new entry by new markets.

2) that CMx2 is a misunderstood chrysalis: This perspective views the development of the new engine as a similar species of the old CMx1, but understands that it involves a transformation that makes it near unrecognizable from its old iteration. Function, appearance, and purpose are now distinctly different in the new engine. What was plain, simple and easily understood, now is more artful, perhaps more beautiful, less understood yet enjoyable nonetheless. It cannot be viewed as a fail of any kind, but a caterpillar to butterfly transformation. The problem then becomes the narrative metaphor best outlined and explained by The Coil in his epic philosophical analysis of the CMx1 CMx2 debate (and thus the butterfly metaphor is extremely apt and appropriate for usage in this perspective). Both old and new markets play it, and enjoy it, but they sometimes also play the old. The real debate is over what CMx2 really is and the intellectual honesty of providing the proper taxonomy of dichotomous species: yes, it was a caterpillar, now it is a butterfly.... and more to the point, that reproduction includes a return to the caterpillar and the cycle repeats itself.

3) Last, the CMx2 engine has evolved into a new species. No longer Ape: now Homo Economicus. It is self aware and superior in every way to its primordial beginnings. The new species views its ancestors sometimes with curiousity while others will have no part in even noting that evolution exists, dogmatically and fundamentally sticking to their guns that divine creation explains all and that what only matters is the future. Thus Darwininists and Fundamentalists clash and battle atop completely polar philosophical and epistemological dias. The CMx2 is a creation of God, and CMx1 is a dirty lie that betrays the graciousness and goodness of the brand new market (religion) that now populates the userdom of CMx2. While there are religious converts from the old CMx1 beliefs, there is a (game) societal schism that breeds contempt and scorn. Some play it and love it, others don't play it and hate it. There are then the aethiests who play it but can't be arsed on the theology science debate.

So if you see it from a mutational perspective, it is a massive fail, but this is a point of logical fallacy because the examples of Xcom and MOO3 suggest that the line ends. CMx2 has not ended. It continues.

If you see if trom a chrysalis perspective, all you really are interested in is the debate over the honesty of the chrysalis process, and that you either can or cannot have both feet in two worlds: you are either a caterpillar or butterfly. Does the name then change? Is it dishonest to continue to advertise that you have a caterpillar when you actually have a butterfly? And when will it return through the cycle of life to the caterpillar once again?

If you see it from an evolutionary perspective, then it gets more complex. It beomes a matter of philosophical debate as to how the world may be studied: the world (CMx2) was made by God, the bible says so, and those who believe that CMx2 actually came from CMx1 should be burned at the stake for heracy. The evolutionary theorists mock the fundamentalists for their faith and call it stupidity. The world is torn into two polar camps that roll around in the gutter.

Those are just some of my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!

Leto

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will there be a #4 that combines elements of all 3? I see some posters in each of the current choices but don't see me. I either need another choice or better self-awareness. If I could edit some of #3 then maybe I would chose that.

(P.S. Good to see you, leto)

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) I'm not sure it's a mutational fail. By whose standards? Yours, mine, MD's, Geordies, or BFC's?

2) I think this is actually closer to the mark of what CM2 has evolved into. From very humble beginnings to a point that it's got at least a fan base and following that keeps BFC selling copies.

3) Where it's evolved seems to be away from what many of the old CM1 base wanted to see in a follow up series. BFC makes the games not the CM1 customer base. Again, it will be interesting to see where BFC takes CM. After CM Modern will the newer format work for CM WWII? We'll just have to see what BFC comes up with.

I think to a large part BFC has created the polarity of affection, so to speak, between the lovers of the old religion and those of the newer religion. If they didn't start it they at least supplied all the materials for the fire and fanned the flames. That's been interesting to watch at times and for me, really sad.

Another thing that's sad to see how we often relate to each other.

A friend and I were discussing wargamers psychological make ups the other day. Where the normal wargamer is well educated and well read. Enough to have formed an opinion about the amount of information they've taken in.

Then comes the debate. And we are generally good debaters. Some just like being a part of the debate. Some want to win it at all costs. Our group as a whole seems to have a higher percentage of those that want to win at all costs than most other groups. Maybe because our hobby centers around games and winning them in the first place.

It was an interesting conversation.

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fun stuff. I still think the whole can't be judged adequately until and unless CM:N comes out, and will still be 99% speculation without any real numbers to back it up.

-dale

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1) I'm not sure it's a mutational fail. By whose standards? Yours, mine, MD's, Geordies, or BFC's?

2) I think this is actually closer to the mark of what CM2 has evolved into. From very humble beginnings to a point that it's got at least a fan base and following that keeps BFC selling copies.

3) Where it's evolved seems to be away from what many of the old CM1 base wanted to see in a follow up series. BFC makes the games not the CM1 customer base. Again, it will be interesting to see where BFC takes CM. After CM Modern will the newer format work for CM WWII? We'll just have to see what BFC comes up with.

I think to a large part BFC has created the polarity of affection, so to speak, between the lovers of the old religion and those of the newer religion. If they didn't start it they at least supplied all the materials for the fire and fanned the flames. That's been interesting to watch at times and for me, really sad.

Another thing that's sad to see how we often relate to each other.

A friend and I were discussing wargamers psychological make ups the other day. Where the normal wargamer is well educated and well read. Enough to have formed an opinion about the amount of information they've taken in.

Then comes the debate. And we are generally good debaters. Some just like being a part of the debate. Some want to win it at all costs. Our group as a whole seems to have a higher percentage of those that want to win at all costs than most other groups. Maybe because our hobby centers around games and winning them in the first place.

It was an interesting conversation.

Good Hunting.

MR
Well my thoughts go something like this:

If you are in the first perspective, then you really shouldn't be interested in the new game. It will not appeal to you from playability, scope and emphasis on realism standpoints. So just simpley stay away. Or play the demo, and them make your mind. there are alternative games out there such as PCO now, so not all is lost.

If you are in the second perspective, then ignore the debate over the intellectual honesty, determining what the game should really be classified as and don't wait for the lifecycle to come full circle. CM will never again be the fine stoic leaf munching many legged cute fuzzy little hero it once was. Maybe you'll like butterflies. Besides, CMx1 still operates, so you can play with your caterpillar any time you wish. Either way, keep it real and find out what the butterfly really is all about, and whether you are looking to become an entomologist that collects the myriads of sub species that will inevitably be out there to net in the form of 8-10 modules. Continue to post and discuss what is positive. Keep criticisms to a bare minimum of cynicism and personal bias.

If you are of the third perspective, you are an idiot and a hater. Your life is full of bile and you kick small puppies. Seek help, not further debate on the game. Barring that, take your ball and go play in your own backyard. Continued torture of the dichotomous philosophical standpoints ends up making everyone look like retards, as right or wrong does not apply: there is more than one way to view how we may understand the world.

If you don't belong to any of the above, stress your own opinion: it may enlighten the rest of us. Just keep the cheerleading and venom at home.

Cheers!

Leto

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1331319 said:
Well my thoughts go something like this:

If you are in the first perspective, then you really shouldn't be interested in the new game. It will not appeal to you from playability, scope and emphasis on realism standpoints. So just simpley stay away. Or play the demo, and them make your mind. there are alternative games out there such as PCO now, so not all is lost.

If you are in the second perspective, then ignore the debate over the intellectual honesty, determining what the game should really be classified as and don't wait for the lifecycle to come full circle. CM will never again be the fine stoic leaf munching many legged cute fuzzy little hero it once was. Maybe you'll like butterflies. Besides, CMx1 still operates, so you can play with your caterpillar any time you wish. Either way, keep it real and find out what the butterfly really is all about, and whether you are looking to become an entomologist that collects the myriads of sub species that will inevitably be out there to net in the form of 8-10 modules. Continue to post and discuss what is positive. Keep criticisms to a bare minimum of cynicism and personal bias.

If you are of the third perspective, you are an idiot and a hater. Your life is full of bile and you kick small puppies. Seek help, not further debate on the game. Barring that, take your ball and go play in your own backyard. Continued torture of the dichotomous philosophical standpoints ends up making everyone look like retards, as right or wrong does not apply: there is more than one way to view how we may understand the world.

If you don't belong to any of the above, stress your own opinion: it may enlighten the rest of us. Just keep the cheerleading and venom at home.

Cheers!

Leto
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are asking. I thought you were asking about perception of the game engine itself. And what I meant when I said I would alter what you said in #3 is that I would cast CMx2 in the role of Darwinism. It is a product influenced by Natural Selection not created by God as an immovable and finished object. As an example of what I mean, 1:1 was, I feel, necessary to have in any CM moving forward from CMx1. I believe certain elements had to be introduced for the game to evolve and survive. It was from that type of perspective that I said "If I could edit some of #3 then maybe I would chose that". The whole Darwin/Natural Selection idea. I'm not sure if that makes me "an idiot and a hater". Or that my "life is full of bile and you kick small puppies". I certainly don't feel that was, perhaps I misunderstood the question.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are asking. I thought you were asking about perception of the game engine itself. And what I meant when I said I would alter what you said in #3 is that I would cast CMx2 in the role of Darwinism. It is a product influenced by Natural Selection not created by God as an immovable and finished object. As an example of what I mean, 1:1 was, I feel, necessary to have in any CM moving forward from CMx1. I believe certain elements had to be introduced for the game to evolve and survive. It was from that type of perspective that I said "If I could edit some of #3 then maybe I would chose that". The whole Darwin/Natural Selection idea. I'm not sure if that makes me "an idiot and a hater". Or that my "life is full of bile and you kick small puppies". I certainly don't feel that was, perhaps I misunderstood the question.
I don't either, not if I interpet what you meant to be CMx2 to be an evolution. How I infer what you say to mean then drops the actual dichotomous aspect of the main point of the argument above: that two sides dig in with polar views and take more pleasure in the wrangling than anything else. For all I know, either position could be valid.

Perhaps a fourth perspective is the reverse where CMx2 is viewed as an evolution and those who feel that CMx1 exists as an extension of the Holy Trinity dismiss any need for talking about evolution, wanting to focus more on how CMx1 was Jesus and that the saviour has been forsaken. I suppose that would mean that the haters would then be relegatd to the fundamentalists who see any talk about CMx2 as an abomination and choose to ignore the evidence that evolution was a plausible and necessary pathway.

If the defenders of an evolutionary perspective as outlined above do not get drawn into the arguments of divine creation only applying to CMx1, then I can envision them not to be haters or idiots.

*small addendum, as people who believed in this perspective would most likely see the CMx1 evangelists as wingnuts, they may be drawn into defending evolution, or providing evidence to support evolution.

Cheers!

Leto

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1331347 said:
*small addendum, as people who believed in this perspective would most likely see the CMx1 evangelists as wingnuts, they may be drawn into defending evolution, or providing evidence to support evolution.

Cheers!

Leto
Further into the analogy than I was willing to go especially after your opening request.

But it does beg the question, which game would Jesus play? (I hear he is a HUGE Halo fan)

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While disturbed by this thread, I am strangely attracted to it...

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Evolution for me. Personnaly if CMN works like CMSF does now, with a few more bells and whistles then Id be happy.

To be honest, I dont think I would ever get used to playing CM-1 games again, I think the new features outweigh the old ones on balance, especially when in CMN some of the old features seem to be re-emerging.

Nice thread BTW......

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect

It's not bad or evil or good or cool. It's just how thing go when control strays.
I don't think there are enough features compared to CMX1 - they went the opposite way in many areas. They tried to simplify the structure of the code, and strip out stuff, but just ended up complicating it instead because now they have to backtrack and stuff it back in. QBs are a case in point.

Even the campaigns are a case of "simplifying" since what are they, really? Just scenarios strung together. There isn't even a status display screen in between them. The number of unit commands was stripped down, etc.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To me, CMSF is just plain overly complicated. They added so many things that have so llittle real effect, yet look like they take up significant programming time, that I think they lost their priorities somewhere in the seven years of development it took them to get here.

I do enjoy a lot of CMSF, but the little tings they took away when compared to CM1, just make it almost like work to do anything.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's both, really. They stripped out a ton of commands, then made it more complicated to access the ones they had. In an attempt to simplify the code base to increase turnaround time on new games.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To me the real question is not really what category CM:N may fall into but if it's more like CM2 than CM1 will you buy it?

That seems to be the great fear of the CM1 community. In a nutshell a large part of the CM1 community didn't like CMSF. Not even counting the release condition. Like JasonC stated in the Blitz post with Bidermann's answer to him.

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=57377

I think the great fear of the CM1 community is after all this time and waiting that what BFC comes up with isn't going to be something they "like". It's not the attitude or the ego but the bare bones product that may be coming to a download near you that's the issue.

All the rest is just smoke and mirrors and knee jerk reaction until CM:N gets here and hopefully the prayers were answered and it's a GREAT GAME! Until then fear rules the roost. It's handling customer expectation that BFC could use the most coaching in.

Good Hunting.

MR