CMx2 Market Garden was almost *cancelled*?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just hope that the editor makes it clear enough that the thing you about to click while making a Normandy scenario will instantly lock it into Arnheim ownership (while still being a Normandy scenario).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I suppose this all boils down to perspective. Fanboys think it's great, Discerning customers are starting to catch on.

Another example is the M18 Hellcat being a 'bonus' inclusion in the MG module. I don't know if any were ever used in the battle, but it is being touted as a great addition to the game.

But what does this mean? It means that scenario designers can use it in scenarios, etc. for Normandy (within it's historical timeframe) and other battles modeled up to the end of September 44. But what does this mean to a CMBN-Only (or CMBN+CW) customer? It means that AFV is 'locked-out' as far as being available for them to play unless they buy into MG.

Now, unless it is included into some future product like a 'pack', this will be the state of affairs. Given the Party-Line regarding MG is that it is only modeling Operation Market-Garden (I take that to means the very short time-frame in September), I think the inclusion of M18 or any other non-involved AFV is suspect. They claim they take so long to do yet that had time to do this?

As far as the first 'pack' being the 'funnies', I think that is not what is called for. CMBN was very limited in TO&E and formations considering the time frame and battles it was modeling. A good pack product would flesh out all AFV for the CMBN period. One for the US and one for the CW. Both would include German AFV also.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I just hope that the editor makes it clear enough that the thing you about to click while making a Normandy scenario will instantly lock it into Arnheim ownership (while still being a Normandy scenario).
Why not ask Steve? He seems to be on the verge of a boil-over if not total blowup?

Some of his posts are getting just plain childish. He claims that details of the product 'features' etc. do not have to be revealed/discussed now. Uh, it is a forum discussing a BF Announcement. He did his usual insults and cocck-eyed 'logic' to explain why all the new 'features' aren't being published/discussed/etc. Perhaps it is a sign as to just how Beta it is.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Correct. There will be no patch to allow base game-only users to use footpaths (or any other new terrrai features fr Market Garden). They are among the things you buy when you purchase the module. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first module to include completely new terrain.
Yes. That is abundantly clear. And, please pay close attention, there is a very well known WWII expression for things like this; Chickensh!t.

If it was something like 'Windmills' or wooden shoe doo-dads, I would not give a rat's ass. But to start locking down things like 'foot-paths' or anything else as common as this, just smacks of leaderless management.

These 'Families' that have been hawked as unique products are now seeing their own modules being further restricted from it's own family. That is the drift I sense. Anything stuck in a module is now embedded and I believe they will transfer this policy further. First Units, Vehicles, Formations, Terrain, Doo-dads, etc. I sense a real lack of product management being replaced with insidious cock-eyed marketing.

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
If they end up with a confusing mishmash of families, modules, base games, whatever, then I doubt it'll do the sales figures any good.
I'm still simmering over some issues with CMSF....

slm

Reaction score
The original plan of base game + modules was very clear and easy to understand.
If there will be packs and whatever other new ways of expanding the base game, I doubt it will make things clearer for casual gamer who is not following BF forums.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
There is still this malignant posturing about 'free patches'. Freedom's just another word for patches without schedules or priority. I thought that would sound better than it did...

Basically, we are just seeing products leapfrog each other without previous product getting these 'freebies'. So, for awhile, CMFI+Gustav guys were playing with the latest tech and toys. But now, CMBN+MG guys are going to get that level plus some long requested tweaks (I refuse to use the mismanaged word 'Feature' anymore).

Even Elvis, who I am playing at the CMBN+2.0 level, must appreciate the play difference between CMFI, and what he sees in game testing, and what we are doing is world's apart. Elvis has made some statements such as "I am having Fun. Doesn't matter if I am winning or having my toad-ass stomped into a pink smudge in the mud (which he is)". But I think he can elaborate more here.

But, I digress. Steve must also come to grips between "what a promise is" and what "holding up to a promise is". He is posturing and baiting customers to attack his perfect record of customer satisfaction again. Sort of a 'Emperor's New Clothes" defense.

What's the backlog again? CMBN 1.0 patch? CMBN 2.0 patch? I dunno anymore. Maybe it's on a big whiteboard out in Steve's barn. Oh well. I like the new 'tweaks' because it's what I want. Other people have also wanted them. I don't expect BF to give anyone credit. I suppose they will need testing. Looks like Elvis' and me's bet will go down to the wire.

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is true. As long as I'm enjoying a game I don't care much if I win or lose.

The point you make about different versions of the game is true.playing Italy with all the things that I like with 2.0 and not having them for Normandy gave me the sadz sometimes. Even in our game I got the sadz sometimes. If I had a nickel for every time I moved a team with a Faust into a building and set up an ambush...only to remember it wouldn't fire from inside....I'd have about 85 cents. That's a fair amount of nickels. I couldn't even mention it to you....until today.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
It is true. As long as I'm enjoying a game I don't care much if I win or lose.

The point you make about different versions of the game is true.playing Italy with all the things that I like with 2.0 and not having them for Normandy gave me the sadz sometimes. Even in our game I got the sadz sometimes. If I had a nickel for every time I moved a team with a Faust into a building and set up an ambush...only to remember it wouldn't fire from inside....I'd have about 85 cents. That's a fair amount of nickels. I couldn't even mention it to you....until today.
I would certainly think that if we played that same scenario, using MG level of tweaks, it would seem like a completely different experience. I am clearly defeating the relative spotting 'feature' by dispersing many units so that they can gather spotting intel (and avoid mortar fire...that is, if you used it correctly). Given that I can also cherry-target PSK and other high value targets, you are being squeezed into a desperate spot. I am being nice and knocking down the buildings so that your PF guys can at least die there.

I gotta be honest. I was ready to ditch the game when I was in the cross-fire of the two panthers. How you managed to screw that pooch is beyond me. Now, I am going to pull off your wings, snap off your feet, get out the magnifying glass and cook your screaming bug guts out...

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gotta be honest. I was ready to ditch the game when I was in the cross-fire of the two panthers. How you managed to screw that pooch is beyond me. Now, I am going to pull off your wings, snap off your feet, get out the magnifying glass and cook your screaming bug guts out...
I have a very long history (going back to asl days) of doing mind numbingly stupid things with armor.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I have a very long history (going back to asl days) of doing mind numbingly stupid things with armor.
OK, Did your Parents ever use Irons, or Ironing Boards, to punish you as a child?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I'm not taking them as snipes. I know he is just good naturedly busting my stones. I'm taking g no offense.
He was talkin' about ME?? I am pretty sure he was talking about dalem.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sure hope the next module/game/theater of CM:Can't_Get_Beyond_Elvis-Lewis_Mission is as thrilling as the last few versions.

-dale