CMN is not to be called Normandy

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Seems like they decided on the name a while ago but wont release it until nearer the time.

Maybe its not going to be set in Normandy for the whole time? This would make that Tiger more plausible. CM to the Rhine? This could get around the whole Bocage thingy too. Although they did state earlier that Tigers wouldnt get into the campaign.

Is it all in a name? CM Saving Private Ryan?

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Seems like they decided on the name a while ago but wont release it until nearer the time.
Is it all in a name? CM Saving Private Ryan?
Above and Beyond Overlord?
A Mission Too Far?
Have RTS, Will Travel?
?

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
The two obvious keywords are "D-Day" and "Overlord". Whatever the title is it has to be instantly recognisable.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmm dday and Overlord were both about the landings though. How about beyond Overlord, that might work? Oh wait..........

Maybe they will continue the Shock theme? Shock Lord?

Caractacus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Maybe it'll be Cobra related? Combat Cobra, Cobra Mission, Shock Cobra, Cobra Force. Well maybe not then...

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I think they could save themselves a bunch of headaches if they did avoid the bocage grindhouse. I would accept an argument that the bocage fighting is more appropriately modeled around a smaller target than a company game. Call your next WWII game a company game, call bocage a platoon-level problem, and skip it. Hell, be frikkin' original and do the Siegfried Line campaign, the Nancy area, Lorraine, and/or or the Stolberg Corridor battles. Call it "Combat Mission: Patton's Army" or something like that for name recognition and boom!

If they went in that direction and did it right again, a few whirlwind clashes between U.S. armored divisions and German HodgepodgerKorps would erase the bad taste of CMSF in a heartbeat, and no one would remember or care about what a few whiney arseholes like me cried about in 2008, or miss hedgerows at all.

That's my call anyway.

-dale

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Actually I think they could save themselves a bunch of headaches if they did avoid the bocage grindhouse. I would accept an argument that the bocage fighting is more appropriately modeled around a smaller target than a company game. Call your next WWII game a company game, call bocage a platoon-level problem, and skip it. Hell, be frikkin' original and do the Siegfried Line campaign, the Nancy area, Lorraine, and/or or the Stolberg Corridor battles. Call it "Combat Mission: Patton's Army" or something like that for name recognition and boom!

If they went in that direction and did it right again, a few whirlwind clashes between U.S. armored divisions and German HodgepodgerKorps would erase the bad taste of CMSF in a heartbeat, and no one would remember or care about what a few whiney arseholes like me cried about in 2008, or miss hedgerows at all.

That's my call anyway.

-dale
Unless they're going to revolve on urban fighting (again) which would make - well, as much sense as the rest of the mess they've created. Then you can do Aachen, I guess, or something without water...but they said they were committed. Remagen would be interesting. Something truly unheralded like the Rhineland battles would be groggy but would not have name recognition. A bold choice, but I don't see them being bold at this point. Not a criticism, either.

Just call it CM: ETO and piss off the modder dude.

It actually has a nice ring to it. Even though the US Army historian screwed the pooch when he coined the term (or was it the US Army who did it?) because Italy is also in Europe, but if the Title is CM:ETO then you can run the gamut of locations in th emodules, just like CM:SF is Syria, with individual modules adding in different units and stuff.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless they're going to revolve on urban fighting (again) which would make - well, as much sense as the rest of the mess they've created. Then you can do Aachen, I guess, or something without water...but they said they were committed. Remagen would be interesting. Something truly unheralded like the Rhineland battles would be groggy but would not have name recognition. A bold choice, but I don't see them being bold at this point. Not a criticism, either.
I think you can aim it about where I said and not pin yourself on urban stuff. Plenty of open country rumbles in that time period, that area.

-dale

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know it's funny. I've re-read my post at the top of the page here, and I'm searching for something non-intellectual, something extreme, something hateful or something indicative in any way that I wish BFC to fail. Instead I see a pretty contructive, sympathetic, and self-deprecating post with some real ideas in it.

Is anybody running to Steve and tattling about those kinds of posts here? :)

-dale