CMFI Gustav Line announced

slm

Reaction score
There are some new weapons that could be available in MG module as well:
AA weapons and the tank turret "bunker".

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
A quote from Steve...
Believe me, we are conscious of the fact that there's only so much stuff you guys can absorb within a given space of time. The good news for you is that if you don't have time/money to buy something today, it will be waiting for you when you do. Right now we've got a lot of stuff announced, however it still takes us time to put them out.

The gap between Normandy Upgrade 2.0 and Gustav Line, for example, is probably going to be about 4 months. And those are for two separate Families. If you look at the gap of time between Fortress Italy's first release and Gustav Line it's about 7 months. Which means for someone only interested in Italy there's a pretty good sized gap between the two. Likewise, Normandy customers will probably have around 5-6 months between when Upgrade 2.0 and Market Garden come out.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hee hee. Someone tagged this thread "more elvis lies". I've said close to nothing and am trying to figure out what I lied about. The link worked just fine, didn't it? They haven't done the MG announcement yet.....unless I missed it. Weird.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Hoping for a bundle deal and 2.01 code.
Ha, I bought CMBN+2.0 just this past weekend because I was thinking that Market Garden was scheduled for the next release. Now, they change the party-line.

Not sure I follow Steve's math but it seems that the next CMBN module will be over a year, at best, from the release of the CW?

Still, at $45, it's a deal since I do enjoy the infantry aspect of the game.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha, I bought CMBN+2.0 just this past weekend because I was thinking that Market Garden was scheduled for the next release. Now, they change the party-line.

Not sure I follow Steve's math but it seems that the next CMBN module will be over a year, at best, from the release of the CW?

Still, at $45, it's a deal since I do enjoy the infantry aspect of the game.
Dang, you could have saved yourself 5 bucks if you had waited for the MG/2.0 bundle. Oh well, you'll probably get more than $5 enjoyment out of it that you wouldn't have if you waited.

We will offer a Market Garden + Upgrade Bundle for $5 less than it would cost to buy both separately. Effectively 50% off the Upgrade price.

Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Dang, you could have saved yourself 5 bucks if you had waited for the MG/2.0 bundle. Oh well, you'll probably get more than $5 enjoyment out of it that you wouldn't have if you waited.
My option would have been wait for the Gustav demo to get 'patched-in' to the latest machinegun stuff. That, being predicated on a demo coming out in a timely manner...But, I had a good week and I was basically winning and selling etc. $45? Eh, I bet that in a hand of poker.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Heres me thinking I am sure they wouldnt do any more Italy and some new Italy comes along. Im happy for the guys that want more Italy but sad for me because I now know that Gustav is probably 4-6 weeks from release and Market Gdn will be 4-6 months behind that.

Surely their money maker is CMBN and not an obscure theatre that didnt sell all that well.

Or is the cynic in me saying that those guys that want Fallschirmjaeger and cant wait for them can just buy Gustav?

I still dont see the point in getting Italy games at all, I could simulate them with CMBN, which after the latest upgrade has become much more awsommer!

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Heres me thinking I am sure they wouldnt do any more Italy and some new Italy comes along. Im happy for the guys that want more Italy but sad for me because I now know that Gustav is probably 4-6 weeks from release and Market Gdn will be 4-6 months behind that.

Surely their money maker is CMBN and not an obscure theatre that didnt sell all that well.

Or is the cynic in me saying that those guys that want Fallschirmjaeger and cant wait for them can just buy Gustav?

I still dont see the point in getting Italy games at all, I could simulate them with CMBN, which after the latest upgrade has become much more awsommer!
They would really need to spice up the Gustav features IMO. They really are not just targeting the diehards that already bought CMFI, but also looking to hook in a Base-game+Gustav bundle market.

Does the TO&E or AFV models help the development of Market Garden or CMEF(Bagration) for that matter?

Considering that this will be the one and only module for CMFI, and one that appears to have the most content, it certainly seems to be a close-out sale. I would probably go $55 for BOTH CMFI+Gustav. They will probably market it higher but tehy are just selling to the quickly diminishing diehards. People will wait and see.

Does this mean that CMFI will get its machineguns fixed before the release? According to Elvis, it shouldn't matter. But, it's clear to me that the impact of machineguns on play testing is obviously a major factor. Especially when the AI is playing.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I speculate that they maybe use the southern games as a testbed for drastic code changes before hitting the mainstream game with them.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The 2.01 path DL for the Upgrade is around a few thousand but that will climb as the buzz about the improvements will drive Upgrade sales and then Patch DL.

I suspect the market numbers that BF CM product is courting is only in the 5,000-10,000 customer range. And, to be honest, a game or module that gets 10K buys is not bad if they can do it a few times in a year.

But it seems that schedule and development times are at odds. Running parallel base-games and developing modules for each, and also pushing for different theatre and warfare periods is certainly ambitious; I can see quality issues, patch slow-downs, designer and developer burnout.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They would really need to spice up the Gustav features IMO. They really are not just targeting the diehards that already bought CMFI, but also looking to hook in a Base-game+Gustav bundle market.

Does the TO&E or AFV models help the development of Market Garden or CMEF(Bagration) for that matter?

Considering that this will be the one and only module for CMFI, and one that appears to have the most content, it certainly seems to be a close-out sale. I would probably go $55 for BOTH CMFI+Gustav. They will probably market it higher but tehy are just selling to the quickly diminishing diehards. People will wait and see.

Does this mean that CMFI will get its machineguns fixed before the release? According to Elvis, it shouldn't matter. But, it's clear to me that the impact of machineguns on play testing is obviously a major factor. Especially when the AI is playing.
Id agree on the CMFI bundle, if I got both for $55 then I probably would, but that would depend on how far away the MG module is for CMBN.

Id say they will get more sales from the Flagship games. Steve continually states that the main seller is NW Europe with US Vs Germans, I dont follow the strategy of releasing games like Italy, or of putting so much effort into it for what Steve has always said isnt much money.

If you are right and BF are just making for the guys they already have buying the games, then I suppose they are happy with their revenue streams.

I suppose Im just miffed as I really thought we would see the MG module by March, when did the Brit Module come out? They are barely keeping pace with the old system of a Module a year, I agree they have 2 games on the go but if you dont want one of them then their output has never changed since 2007, despite all of the statements Steve makes.

Although, I have to reiterate, the latest BN patch fixes a lot for me and Im really satisfied with it. Just not sure I will be playing it for another 8 months until a new module comes along.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Although, I have to reiterate, the latest BN patch fixes a lot for me and Im really satisfied with it. Just not sure I will be playing it for another 8 months until a new module comes along.
I agree. I finally jumped in with an initial purchase of CMBN+2.0 in the hopes that MG would come around April or so. Also, I sensed that they finally made a 'fix' that really mattered to wargamers.

I find it unbelievable that they would come out of left field with this announcement as far as CMFI gets the next module, and that CMFI ends with this module. I suppose it's just another credibility issue as far as what they say and what they do. They clearly had made it known that MG was in the queue after the patches.

So, again, we are in a race between CMFI getting patched-in and getting it's module.

They still say they are going to port over fixes/machine-guns/etc. to 1.0 level CMBN and CMFI? What priority can they give that? I would really think that a common patch that could 'fix-out' these older products would be the way to go. That is, one piece of software does the trick for each base game. But, the whole scheme that they are using is showing up as more work than the dream-tank visions they had.

I am starting to think that each 'module' that comes out needs to leapfrog the last level of technology. But, from what I have read, CMFI is to be brought up to CMBN level and Gustav is going to be more toys than bells and whistles. Seemingly, if the technology stays about the same, then the patch work-load can go down.

CMFI was released...8 months ago? They have at least two more base games in development and they have only two modules in co-development? Does the Eastern Front really need the amount of 'Base-Games' that are being touted?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find it unbelievable that they would come out of left field with this announcement as far as CMFI gets the next module, and that CMFI ends with this module. I suppose it's just another credibility issue as far as what they say and what they do. They clearly had made it known that MG was in the queue after the patches.
Credibility issue? You posted this a little while ago. I won't make you guess about what the "something nicel" is. It's Gustav.
Yesterday, 05:49 PM
Battlefront.com
Administrator

Our schedule is a bit flexible, but as of now for 2013:

Normandy 2.01 patch
Normandy 1.12 patch
Italy 1.02 patch
Something Nice
CMBN Market Garden
CMEF 1 (1944-1945, starting with Bagration)
CMSF 2 (introduces v3.0)

For 2014:

CM Bulge
CMEF 2 (1943-1944, starting with Kursk)

Various Packs sprinkled in here and there along the way. But it's too difficult to say what and when specifically.

We have no plans on doing a North Africa game at the moment, but I wouldn't rule it happening.

Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Credibility issue? You posted this a little while ago. I won't make you guess about what the "something nicel" is. It's Gustav.
*06-22-2012, 09:40 AM*
Moon
Administrator Join Date: Jan 2000

The Road Ahead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combat Mission fans have a lot to look forward to in the next year as the CMx2 game engine continues to produce games at an every faster pace. At the moment we have three games in active development and more planned. While we aren't in a position to make detailed announcements right now, we can tell you what the three are about (in no particular order):

1. CM: Battle for Normandy Module 2. This Module picks up where CM:BN and Commonwealth left off... with the September push out of France to the German border. The content centers around Operation Market Garden, though it covers more ground than just that. The game includes a number of new vehicles, formations, and new terrain models/textures. Adding new terrain, a first for any Module so far, ensures that you feel like you're fighting near Germany and not still back at the beacheads.

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen. Having said that, we hope the politicians aren't insane enough to try it for real. Even thought this is great stuff for a game, it's the last thing this world needs in real life.

We have more games planned for 2013, however we are making no formal announcements at this time. These three mini-announcements should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Yes, this is the roadmap for the next 12 months. All of these are in active development already.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
It's been 8 months since the last game or module. The 'Every Faster Pace' has slowed down.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*06-22-2012, 09:40 AM*
Moon
Administrator Join Date: Jan 2000

The Road Ahead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combat Mission fans have a lot to look forward to in the next year as the CMx2 game engine continues to produce games at an every faster pace. At the moment we have three games in active development and more planned. While we aren't in a position to make detailed announcements right now, we can tell you what the three are about (in no particular order):

1. CM: Battle for Normandy Module 2. This Module picks up where CM:BN and Commonwealth left off... with the September push out of France to the German border. The content centers around Operation Market Garden, though it covers more ground than just that. The game includes a number of new vehicles, formations, and new terrain models/textures. Adding new terrain, a first for any Module so far, ensures that you feel like you're fighting near Germany and not still back at the beacheads.

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

3. CM: Shock Force 2. Our return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen. Having said that, we hope the politicians aren't insane enough to try it for real. Even thought this is great stuff for a game, it's the last thing this world needs in real life.

We have more games planned for 2013, however we are making no formal announcements at this time. These three mini-announcements should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Yes, this is the roadmap for the next 12 months. All of these are in active development already.
Are you implying that this contradicts the post Steve made 7 months later? He lists these as "in no particular order" and also mentions that they have more releases planned for 2013 that they aren't ready to talk about. Am I missing something? I'm starting part of it is your expectations and assumptions.