CMFB patch released

mOBIUS

Reaction score
It is interesting in another post that they state M72 ammo was for homog. armor and M61 was for FH. Someone should translate or post a better scan of that data.
I'm trying to make a spreadsheet of that chart but I can't make out many of the numbers. :(

mOBIUS

Reaction score
Testing of the Jgdpzr IV/70 (late) in the game showed the lower hull to be vulnerable to 76mm M62 fire at 1300 meters. This was with an obliquity angle of about 15 degrees. Giving a larger obliquity gave some protection but still there was spalling, of course this would preclude the Jgdpanzer from using its own main gun.
It's curious that this subject has come up simultaneously on different tank forums. Is it the same people doing this?
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/145281-jagdpanzerpanzer

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I don't know what that means either. At 1200m my ballistic program gives a .667° descent when fired at +.6°. Rexford has the descent of .7°.
Apparently, they mean the actual deviation from flight axis. It might come from the overspinning of the early M1A1C barrels. The rifling was changed in the M1A2 barrel. If you look at the velocity curves, and realize that it starts at the same velocity, and use the same ammo, then something is scrubbing velocity.

Almost all projectiles come out at less than perfect orientation to the axis of motion. This is damped out as the projectile flies and 'feels' a push on one side to another as its ass-end gets inline with the flight path. The early Tiger I muzzle brake experienced clipping by AP rounds till they figured out that the 88mm FlaK guns actually uncorked the AP at slight deviations. The improved Tiger ammunition solved the issue.

I recently read that even a 1 degree change in change in misalignment could result in a 100 FPS change in critical velocity. Quite a good report concerned with the PzGr 39 as used in the PAK 40.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I have no idea what War Thunder is. It must be like WOT because the same level of discussion occurs.
Yeah, it is a first person tank shooter arcade-ish game like WOT. But, you have to hand it to them. This is where most of the new historic information and archive digging up is coming from these days.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
http://vn-parabellum.com/us/m18-art.html

Some interesting Hellcat info. The Hellcat did not have a muzzle brake at first. Then there were threaded barrels but no muzzle brake, just a thread protector. I wonder if there issues with the brake just like Tiger I had? That is, until the rifling was changed, a muzzle brake had contact issues?

I barely read through that war thunder thread and people were talking about bullet proof vests and shooting cardboard boxes with pellet guns.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Yeah, it is a first person tank shooter arcade-ish game like WOT. But, you have to hand it to them. This is where most of the new historic information and archive digging up is coming from these days.
I believe these games have a much greater worldwide popularity than typical tactical games. I would suspect that increase in people 'researching' information, along with the greater languages spoken, can help uncover previously undisclosed 'enemy' information.

Much of the 'Rexford' primary data, and perhaps even more than he ever saw, is available online. I am amazed at the stuff I can read lately.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Very interesting...M62 projectile Stability Factor vs. velocity...

b. Stability. Ballistic Research Laboratory Report No. 427, "Stability of 3-inch Armor-piercing
Projectiles", gives the results obtained from stability firings of the 3-inch APC Projectile M62 with BD
Fuze M66A1 from the 3-inch Antitank Gun M5, whose twist of rifling is 1/40. The 76-mm Tank Gun M1A2
has a twist of rifling of 1/32.
Muzzle Moment Stability Factor
Velocity Coefficient Twist of Rifling
fps 1/40 1/32
1600 1.09 1.70
2600 1.14 1.78
Basically, higher is better. 2 is good enough for artillery fire. A low number, like the M1A1 barrel shows here at 2600 to 1600 FPS, is very telling.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I will hand this to them...they seem to be pilfering both you and me here...

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/422853-3-inch-gun-m7-vs-76mm-m1a1/
On the positive side it is a chance to influence the debate without even having to post on their forums. In fact even better because I don't know many of the languages my 'borrowed' source is found on.
(my website logs where the link is coming from and I find there are russian, german and french forums and of course english linking.)

Last edited:

mOBIUS

Reaction score
You can order hard copies of TM9-1907 from here:
http://www.military-info.com/mphoto/P108b.htm
One of the best things in using data from historic tests is that there is no calculations dealing with T/D (armor thickness/shell diameter) like have to be made applying engineering formulas. (Rexford's Demarre or Okun's BL(N) energy equations) That is because if the test says a 3" AP shell will penetrate 1" of armor at x yards that is the answer. In tests the 3" AP penetrated 1" plate at x yards. You don't have to multiply the distance by some factor of 1/3.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I find that thread interesting but kind of don't follow the argument regarding the greater powder charge in the 3 inch gun vs. the 76mm. The drawing clearly shows the 3 inch gun cutaway demonstrating a hollow area the is stuffed with some wadding???? So, while the 3 inch has a greater volume, was it really filled? I suppose I will dig into EOD info or the brass collectors websites for more info. If anything, they could have put more powder in if the weapon recoil mechanism could take it.

It is interesting that the powder issue with these weapons (smoke/flash) was addressed with a longer primer (why not a better powder?) in 1944 Fall.

I always wondered why the Allies never tried using PzGr 39 projectiles in the test shoot in '44. Or even the German powder. They clearly cobbled together US 76mm HVAP projectiles onto 17 pdr. cartridges. In fact, why not just shoot a German tank with a PAK 40 for comparison? They had plenty of those captured. A PAK 40 on a M5 chassis would have been a good filed expedient (same as a Marder for instance). I believe these were actually used in Yugoslavia BTW.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
One of the best things in using data from historic tests is that there is no calculations dealing with T/D (armor thickness/shell diameter) like have to be made applying engineering formulas. (Rexford's Demarre or Okun's BL(N) energy equations) That is because if the test says a 3" AP shell will penetrate 1" of armor at x yards that is the answer. In tests the 3" AP penetrated 1" plate at x yards. You don't have to multiply the distance by some factor of 1/3.
True but I put the actual field shoots at the top of the list. Actual weapons shooting actual targets. It has its limitations as the number of available targets restrict the data that is meaningful. That is, unless you are some drunk Soviet officers blasting away at hulks that look like Swiss cheese.

mOBIUS

Reaction score

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Yes, I reference it on page36 of my website and I use the tests (figure 4) in one of my computer programs adjusting penetration for hardness.
But, this is always good for a quote:

Not exactly something Rexford would side with.
I liked...

In the present work, where only relative
effects of various parameters are sought,, it is more
convenient to fire at a given velocity and to determine
a critical obliquity. As in the case of critical
velocities, critical angles must be defined as the
mean between an obliquity which allows complete
penetration and one which allows, only partial penetration.
In the present report, these two angles
are taken 5 deg apart. In all the firings in the present
report the constant velocity was taken as 2400 f/s.

This Is the velocity of -the enemy 75 mm. projectile
"at a battle range of about 900 yards.
2400 FPS is 731 M/s? At 900 yards? 900 yards is 822 meters? Wouldn't that put the muzzle velocity in the M62 range????

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The ballistic data obtained with any one type of projectile are strictly applicable only to that one particular type.
Very true. But in this case, they have chosen wisely...that is, both the PzGr 39 and it's very similar panther PzGr 39/42 were the predominant threat faced by Allied armor in the late war.

It is a good test in that they have varied limited parameters in the search for a simple goal...how to improve survivability to Allied AFV.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
I liked...

2400 FPS is 731 M/s? At 900 yards? 900 yards is 822 meters? Wouldn't that put the muzzle velocity in the M62 range????
I have no idea what gun they are referring to here. The PAK 40 is not that hot. It would have to be fired at a MV 2730 f/s (832m/s) to have a terminal V of 2400 f/s at 900 yards. While some early 75mm Aberdeen tables were wrong having the Pak 40 MV=2655, they were not that wrong.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I have no idea what gun they are referring to here. The PAK 40 is not that hot. It would have to be fired at a MV 2730 f/s (832m/s) to have a terminal V of 2400 f/s at 900 yards. While some early 75mm Aberdeen tables were wrong having the Pak 40 MV=2655, they were not that wrong.
Oh Please, it says the report is about the PAK 40 even!

The projectiles used in obtaining the ballistic
data were models of the German 75 mm.. A.P.C. Pak 40,
scaled down to cal. .30 size, i.e., scaled down in
linear dimensions by a factor of 10.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
In any case, this report might prove very useful as far as the CMFB demo. The demo shermans appear to be the 47 deg flat glacis types, both 75mm and 76mm. I imagine that the matlet hits on the 76mm might pose a tougher target. i believe the glacis is 64mm@47deg, 250 BHN.

I will line up a bunch of shermans at 1300 meters and let the JgdPzr IV/70 use up the short allotment of AP ammo on them. I will set them flat since the initial set up has them coyly deployed on back slopes.

Edit: i believe a PAK 40 could penetrate a sherman glacis at 1100 meters given the Yugo test data. I am not that sure about the actual penetration criteria, I would suppose getting light through, or perhaps a mix of penetrations and partials. But, in any case, I would expect the 'panther gun" to do better. Stay tuned....

Last edited: