CMC--Word and Hope!

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the Battlefront blog--already at their new, under construction site:

"There are similar good news from the other projects as well. Combat Mission Campaigns has made a big step forward with the release of a stable Beta version to the testers last month. Unfortunately there are some further delays (again) as Bruce, the head of the project, is called off to duty once again until next year, but as soon as he's back the team can begin tying up loose ends."

Link:

http://www.battlefront-store.com:8080//index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Dusting-the-credenza.html&Itemid=203

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better honesty & a late game that works than a piece of junk early that doesn't.

Lurker

Reaction score
Wow! If I didn't know any better that almost sounds like a retraction from their recent attitude that 'cmx1 is junk and always has been and is in the garbage bin forever'.

Are we on the threshold of a miracle?:eek::surprise:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wouldnt get too excited here. If this guy is deployed I want to know where and for how long. Some US deployments to the Gulf are for up to 16 months now. If we have to wait for him to come back to return to CMC programming than it may be 2 years yet!

Mind you, Id probably still buy it 2 years from now.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WHAT! You'd wait 2 years for a "dead" game?
Why the CMx1 engine is dead, we'll never see anything more about it ever.

And,
Oops wrong thread... :nuts:

Sounds great- even if it does take 2 years. (must be that CMx1 loyalty or something.)

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, let me get this straight...BFC's great white hope now is a game that supports the one they say is dead and wasn't all that good in the first place.

They are pinning the development future of this great and marvelous piece of wargaming history on a single developer who is going into one of the worlds most dangerous areas for possibly as long as 2 years.

Why yes, I can see the logic in that move already. Classic BFC style business planning.

Good Hunting.

MR

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Time tells all tales.:p

Well if these guys are trying to feed their families it would be agood thing.:(

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time tells all tales.:p

Well if these guys are trying to feed their families it would be agood thing.:(
If they are trying to feed their families after the CMSF promotion they might want to reconsider their day jobs.

I, for one, wish them luck in pulling this off. I don't see anybody else running up and trying to replace them with any WEGO systems out there at the moment.

Good Hunting.

MR

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I, for one, wish them luck in pulling this off. I don't see anybody else running up and trying to replace them with any WEGO systems out there at the moment.
You're right. Because the amount of money to be made off these kinds of games is negligible anyway, so this part of the discussion is really a moot point.

Lurker

Reaction score
You're right. Because the amount of money to be made off these kinds of games is negligible anyway, so this part of the discussion is really a moot point.
I keep hearing that view but what is it based on? Does anyone have the real figures on how many cmbo, cmbb and cmak games were sold, and how many cmsf? If the potential profit off cmx1 was negligible then why was it made in the first place? Wouldn't a game company have known this before ever embarking on such a project?

As to RTS there is no doubt that it has a large audience, but at the same time there are an awful lot of those games that are in the bargin bin not long after their release. My son downloads and tries quite a few of them but most are uninstalled as 'junk', to use his words. So while some thrive, many fail. CM on the other hand still has a large and faithful audience that would still be purchasing new modules if they were to produce any. There must be some value to that. Because the company abandoned the system does not have to imply negligible profit; perhaps there was simply a consideration that some other market (military) had much more potential profit.

Last edited:

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or that the programming changes required to move CMx1 forward were just as great as starting up from scratch. I was thinking, like most everybody else that CMx2 would look much more like CMx1.

Before the release of CMSF, BFC wasn't telling everybody that it wouldn't be closely related to the CMx1 game system. Only after they released it did everybody see the differences.

Of course, that isn't a bad ploy, on BFC's part, for their competition. Not to announce a change of direction. It wouldn't have even been bad if the change wasn't so radically different than what was advertised...NO FICTIONAL WHAT IFs....Not going to be Modern.....etc...

Are we saying that the CMx1 game engine was good enough to make a game company and give it a good customer base, but not good enough to support that same customer base? The customer base that made it's games popular enough to generate dozens of web sites, and to have thousands of designer made scenarios for the game, that cost them nothing?

Show me an RTS/FPS that has done more than that. I'm not into RTS/FPSers so maybe you can. If that kind of support is out there I'm not aware of it. I am aware of the online gaming for such games as Warcraft. Different kind of gaming altogether. Thats a game category that wargames has competed with since D&D first came out though so that's nothing new either.

I have alot of old board wargames that were in the bargin bin when I bought them. We would bring them home and "house rule" them. Made some of them into some decent wargames. You can't do that with computer games. At least I can't.

It's hard to make a decent computer wargame too. So, why then, when you have one do you kill it off and say bad things about it at the funeral?

Good Hunting.

MR

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I keep hearing that view but what is it based on? Does anyone have the real figures on how many cmbo, cmbb and cmak games were sold, and how many cmsf? If the potential profit off cmx1 was negligible then why was it made in the first place? Wouldn't a game company have known this before ever embarking on such a project?
It's largely self-evident, Lurker. If there were a serious demand for these types of games (i.e. more money to be made from them), you would rapidly see larger development houses capitalize on the opportunity. In fact, the audience for such games is so small they are almost uniformly ignored by the larger game sites. Just try to find information about Panzer Campaigns, Decisive Action, Uncommon Valor, or Combat Mission on the big sites. You won't. But GameSquad covers them and we will continue to cover them because some are very good games.

I would guess Combat Mission probably sold less than 100,000 copies of each title in the series (probably a lot less). This is quite respectable for a wargame, but barely enough for a small team of developers to live off of. In fact, most wargame developers can't even make enough money to do it full time and still maintain another job as their primary source of income. In contrast, Halo 3 made $750 million dollars on the first day. Even a beer & pretzels RTS like Sudden Strike -- hardly a top tier RTS game -- sold a million copies its first year.

Please note, I cast none of this in a negative light. I have an affinity for wargames, which is why this site does more than most to give them attention and support. But they are very much a niche product and I am realistic about that.

Mad Russian said:
Show me an RTS/FPS that has done more than that. I'm not into RTS/FPSers so maybe you can. If that kind of support is out there I'm not aware of it. I am aware of the online gaming for such games as Warcraft. Different kind of gaming altogether. Thats a game category that wargames has competed with since D&D first came out though so that's nothing new either.
Oh my! You don't get out much, do you? :D

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your chosen genre is the only genre with a serious support base and loyal fans. Far from it. Sing the praises of wargames all day long if you like, and I'll sing them with you. But when you cut down on other genres like you just did, it just shows that you may be a bit misinformed what happens outside the wargame echo chamber.

And wargames "competing" with World of Warcraft and D&D? Oh my . . .

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, "we" are still playing the game BFC made- the CMx1 versions which were & are GOOD games. Just look at the sites for & about CMx1. (any dedicated to CM:SF?) BFC talked them up & word of mouth kept them expanding with new player sites, mods & scenarios. Not bad for a web-site only sales game.

Then BFC announces a new CM (x2) yea! They never said CMx1 was dead & never to rise again. Then a completely new animal = CMx2 comes out & they say CMx1 IS dead & gone plus it's a horrid game engine to boot. And basically if you still play it (WeGo) you're more or less an idiot. (Great PR that was!) The players of CMx1 play it BECAUSE it is a WeGo system not RT. The switch in engines etc is like telling loyal backyard football players we've made it better, then bringing out a soccer ball...

CMx2 is NOT a good game no matter how you try and explain it away or how many players enjoy all the "cute" flaws it has...

Now they say (a blog...) that CMC is still on the table? Wait, isn't that for a game engine they said was already dead & buried forever? What gives with BFC, just who is in charge over there with the conflicting reports? If CMx1 is no more why CMC?

No matter how small a dev team they have or when they "work" they made CMx1 AND CMx2 so no one can say they can't do this or that because they have already proven they CAN make a good product. Problem was they went against what their core players wanted (and guaranteed future sales) with the X2 version & released it "as is."

CM:SF should have been "another" type CM game that BFC was developing, along with new CMx1 advances and not a be all & end all of the CM series.

Having no programming experience how hard is it to patch those issues of a working GOOD game when compared to creating a completely new engine like CMx2?

Last edited:

Bertram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFC is chasing the almighty dollar, like all 'good' capitalistic companies. They probably still wanted the 'idiot' WEGO players:bounce: but what their goal really was....is....RT gunslingers:ar15: and maybe a lucrative military training contract as well:salute:.

That's an ambitious goal but probably achieveable. Given the small staff :argh: and their skills :hmmm: they bit off more than they could chew. :OHNO::kotz::eek:

Then they really screw up and start bad mouthing :blab: the CMx1 crowd who gave them their start. It's pressure and they are not handling it well:shock:.

Hopefully they will pull out of this nose dive over the next year and at least make CMSF a good present day game of a boring scenario...workable. Some say you learn the most by making mistakes, just think how smart they are now!!;)

Lurker

Reaction score
I would guess Combat Mission probably sold less than 100,000 copies of each title in the series (probably a lot less). This is quite respectable for a wargame, but barely enough for a small team of developers to live off of. In fact, most wargame developers can't even make enough money to do it full time and still maintain another job as their primary source of income. In contrast, Halo 3 made $750 million dollars on the first day. Even a beer & pretzels RTS like Sudden Strike -- hardly a top tier RTS game -- sold a million copies its first year.

And wargames "competing" with World of Warcraft and D&D? Oh my . . .
Some good points Don. There is no arguing with the RTS and FPS money. It's also interesting that while the $ potential is huge, the numbers of highly successful companies in that arena are not. At least that is my impression (and not a hard researched fact, so prove me wrong someone).
The very successful companies make a hit and then follow it up with many others, while still many more efforts come and go without much fanfare. The failure potential is as great as the profit potential with those games. The key is the public for those is much more numerous than for a highly realistic wargame.

That being said, it seems strange to me that BFC would burn their bridges by alienating their current public and then striking out for the mega market, not with some exciting fantasy/scifi/psuedo-historical RTS sim but rather with a wargame based on realism that, as we mentioned, is not the big market. And to top it off it is a boring sim with very boring terrain. This kind of effort will not capture the young audience that tends to look for great eye candy and intense action. So then what market are they going for with this effort? Us, or those like us who love realistic wargames and WEGO? More likely the military.

If a company has already captured a market, and they had with CMers, then why dump it and pin hopes on a radically different approach? This shrinks a company to some degree. More logical is to expand by striking out in a new direction while at the same time keeping the current paying customers happy. So while these paying customers are not making them mega millions at the moment, it's still got to be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, or a flop cmx2 type game with a sizeable investment sunk into it and a very unclear target market. I know my son and his friends would never give it a second look if they were up for a new RTS game. Am I missing something?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lurker, the forum crowd has never been the core customer base of BFC, that has been clear at least from CMBB on. Apart from the fact that they are just a small minority of all buyers, they are impossible to please and have all either payed for the game already or are just there to ***** and never will pay. Nothing happening on the forum will lead to a sale or a loss of sale.

I have said from the beginning of CMC that the biggest problem will be the required adjustments to the CMBB codebase. The CMx1 codebase is screwed up and the one programmer ever having worked on it and the only one to have access is kinda busy elsewhere right now, and has been all the time.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing happening on the forum will lead to a sale or a loss of sale.
:crosseye: Thats a big truck load of something smelly going by. :paperbag:
Why does BFC even have their own forum then?

I want to know then just who BFC is getting all their "customer" info from that made them say, "WOW thousands of CM players want a RT-CM set in jimmied Syria in boring bland terrain with cute fun quirks thrown in, lets make that!!"

Has ANYONE ever been polled by BFC?