Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Nah, that's not it.

It's because, "East is east, and west is west, and never the twains shall meet."
John
And you know, Kipling (who wrote that) also wrote in another poem "and the east and the west are one", so WTF did he know, anyway? :mad:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Latest on CM:C (last Friday - November 7th) - note the highlighted portion:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1102867&postcount=35

Yes, and no.

Yes, we have no staff on this project. This is true for any third party product. We support the developer as good as we can but Battlefront is acting as a publisher only for the most part.

No, it's not just Hunter. While he is the masterbrain behind it, there are currently two programmers working on the project. Not full-time mind you.

We're still determined to make this game happen. Not for profit, but for the community and those people who want it. If you have moved on in terms of hardware or preferences, then obviously CMC may not be for you. (having said that, CMC will work just fine on Vista; you just may not be able to resolve the battles on CMBB).

This is the last comment from us for the time being on this project. Next time I'll post here we'll be asking for beta testers.
Brilliant.

Incidentally, maybe I am splitting hairs, but is an operating system now considered "hardware"? I always thought it was "software".

According to Wikipedia:

An operating system (commonly abbreviated OS and O/S) is the software component of a computer system ...

Guess he meant if you bought a new computer (hardware) that comes with newer OS you're out of luck.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He still doesn't get that only Vista + DX10 capable graphics cards are a problem.

But yeah, let's just drop CMBB from CMC altogether so that there are less compatibility issues.

I always wondered where Charles was supposed to find the time to hack CMBB up for CMC.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
He still doesn't get that only Vista + DX10 capable graphics cards are a problem.

But yeah, let's just drop CMBB from CMC altogether so that there are less compatibility issues.

I always wondered where Charles was supposed to find the time to hack CMBB up for CMC.
Kind of irrelevant if they never finish CMC to begin with...

BFC, after years of abusing their customers on their forums (Moon more than anyone), with a history of never completing the patch cycles for their games, is all of a sudden going to release something solely because they wish to do a favour for the fans?

This isn't a favour for the fans. Call it what it is. This is refusing to patch it at all! :laugh: Version 0.9 will be a new low in the history of Combat Mission. And an excuse to abandon support to it on release day. (Hey, we were doing you a favour, remember?)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Michaels post: (having said that, CMC will work just fine on Vista; you just may not be able to resolve the battles on CMBB).

Then WHAT is the point of putting it out? Might as well make it an entirely new freeware game with no small unit tactical battles to fuss over.
Crazy. :clown:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not drop the python layer, too, and publish the manual so that people can play it tabletop?

Last edited:

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If we could go back in Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine to the date when CMAK was released, almost all of us would stand in disbelief concerning what Battlefront has done and how they have done it during the ensuing years.

They have certainly become a different kind of wargaming company.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then WHAT is the point of putting it out?
I agree completely. With this attitude, there seems to be no point whatsoever to continuing work on it. Take away the CMBB link, and what's left is hardly something the gaming world needs...

John

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's stubbornness typical of Moon. Check out the latest exchange on the forum regarding the Repository (edited for brevity):

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84761

Forum Poster 1:I seem to be unable to use T-72 or T-62 as search key words in this... wonderful software.

Moon: That's a valid point. There is a setting in vBulletin which allows me to include specific search terms...

Forum Poster 2: Moon, while your offer is an example of the good service BFC want to provide, I ask ... how realistic a solution it is. The military acronyms, unit and vehicle designations are near inexhaustible... No chance the old search engine can come back? It was quite good.

Moon: Well, I can simply copy and paste the list from Sergei above.

Forum Poster 2: I'm not sure were tuned to the same radio channel, Moon.
What if I'm looking for posts about the A9? It's not on Sergei's list. Do you take requests? Merely adding the US aircraft designations would keep you busy for a while. And then there are the Germans with their wacky designations.

Forum Poster 1: The silly Dutch boy (Forum Poster 1) is right.

Forum Poster 3: Word.

Moon: OK, fair enough. No changes made then.

He continues to get defensive about the search engine later in the thread. Complete child. And you wonder why he would want to release vaporware for no apparent purpose? I can't figure out why he would continue to act petulant towards customers making valid requests on the forum.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
They do mention the Google search feature if you read the entire thread, but I thought this was interesting when the conversation turned to allowing two-character search terms:

Actually, thinking about it some more, no, I am not going to change it. A 2 letter limit would include a lot of extremely common clutter in to the search index, blow up the database a LOT, and be very server-intensive. Case closed.
Any comment on this, as the resident techhead, Redwolf?

As for Google, Forum Poster 1 says: "As a workaround I've had some success searching with Google for forum posts. It's a bit hit and miss but for those searches the current system can't deal with, it's better then nothing."

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, Martin is correct that Vbulletin's braindead search engine is very wasteful when storing short things. And it's not very powerful on the search side either, no exclusions, no AND and OR mixed etc.

I never understoof why vBulletin doesn't offer an option to have a real test search engine that they buy from somebody else installed on your site for a fee.

Using google and site:http://... only goes so far. No search for authors, no sort by time.

Of course google is dropping the ball, too. They should index vBulleting things by posting, using their already existing Google Groups infrastructure.