CMBN Tactics

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Now lets run them behind a wall

And bingo, they neatly line up along it when they get there..

And you can issue a Face order

to make them face square across it..

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Running them behind a house. I tried to place the waypoint centrally behind the house but it jumped to the left, it happens in CMBN and there's nothing we can do about it-

They arrive and auto-line up along the wall, although one guy went too far and is exposed-

Let's run them into that house, there are more windows upstairs than down, so we'll send them to Level 2 where they'll have good views. The waypoint jumps to the house centre, that's good enough..

They arrive and cluster in 3 groups around the 3 windows. LOS is good so I don't think there's any need to issue a Face order to fine-tune things..

What happens if we run them into empty ground?-

they arrive and adopt a basically line abreast formation in the direction of travel-

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tip- click around to locate the available waypoints, I'm expecting the enemy to come down the red arrow so I think the circled waypoint is the one I want-

Cancel the waypoints and issue a move order to the one we want-

Hopeless! the squad prefers to huddle behind the wall, and their LOS can only see directly left, not able to see round the house at all-

So I pull them back to try another waypoint..

Okay,after re-facing that seems to looks alright, they can see down the side of the house-

But as we sweep the LOS line around, we see the squad has only got 'partial' LOS straight down the side, which means only part of the squad can see there.
Partial lines occur frequently in CMBN, it's realistic and we have to decide whether to accept it or try another waypoint. This will have to do-

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Let's try ordering a schreck team to that position-

Hopeless! Like the infantry squad, they prefer to huddle safely behind the house, so I issue this order to pull them back to a new waypoint-

and after re-facing them they can now see reasonably round the corner. Tactically speaking, the house shields them nicely from the full might of the enemy force, and hopefully they'll be able to pick off enemy tanks one by one as they come poking their noses around the house-

Summary- Trying to fine-position units in CMBN is like trying to play a guitar with gloves on, it just can't be done and feels clumsy and awkward, but also provides an interesting challenge to us as commander to put our boys into tactically-good positions where they can strut their stuff.

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But as we sweep the LOS line around, we see the squad has only got 'partial' LOS straight down the side, which means only part of the squad can see there.
Partial lines occur frequently in CMBN, it's realistic and we have to decide whether to accept it or try another waypoint. This will have to do-
What your seeing in this picture is the team element of the squad to the right has its LOS blocked by the house (which as you point out it should). If you are unhappy with the situation you do not need to just try another waypoint. You can break off the team that doesn't have LOS and move only them. Leaving the rest of the squad in a position that you are already happy with.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The AI is pretty dumb but is okay for training against and watching its mistakes.
Here the AI sends its Germans out one at a time from behind that house as if on a conveyor belt, and my Shermans just sit picking them off one by one.
"They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way"- Wellington after Waterloo

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sher 75's may only be an average tank but there are usually so many of them that they can overwhelm Jerry and get into his side/rear armour like my Shers are doing here against the AI.
Stugs in particular are sitting ducks when that happens-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiram Sedai's lurking Sher (green circle) trashes my ar car at point.
I lost the car but now at least I know there's a Sher there and can position my heavy armour to clobber it.

Togisan's Panther and a PzIV come through a gap in the foreground and run head-on into my oncoming Shers/M10's. He loses both machines but I suffer just an immobd M10-

However on the other side of the map it's a different story as another of his Panthers calmly picks off 2 of my Shers at long range-

My tanks view. Ouch that hurt! They fired back a couple of times but their shots bounced skyhigh off the Panths thick front-

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As my two panzers writhe and retch in the blinding choking dust and smoke, Facman's Shermans close in for the kill-

And go on to liberate the restaurant-

---------------------------------------------------------------

Boff's HMC at top left blasts my 12th SS Hitlerjugend ATG.
Guns are dead ducks when attacked from side/rear because they can't pivot quick enough to meet the threat-

---------------------------------------------------------------

My two M10's attempt to break through into Togisan's German rear areas but only get down the green dotted line. (white dotted line was their intended route), they're ambushed by a Panther (circled) who shoots them both in the back stone dead, they never even knew he was there-

A Pz IV was also skulking nearby and a bailed M10 crewman whips out his pistol and tries to blow the head clean off the commander. (he fired several times and missed, but forced the cdr to button)-

Some stock maps have two or three objective zones like this one (yellow patches)
I'm not sure how many points the program awards for occupying zones at the end of the game. the small white stars floating above each zone might give a clue as to what they're worth, the more stars the more points perhaps.
In CMBN there's no ongoing score readout like there is in CMBB/AK, so it adds to the interest not knowing how well you're doing.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
POS, do you plan on responding and/or interacting in conversations during this dissertation or is it purely a one way conversation? If it's one way then I will just sit back and read as it has been interesting and fun.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't expect too much from POS. You can see his threads at FGM.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?8747-M8-HMC-s-no-good-at-long-range

Some his claims aren't exactly inline with reality.
Understood.

I just discovered a new tactic of my own!!! I have been struggling against some Panthers in a battle I'm playing and it turns out all I needed to do to knock out a Panther was to let the other guy blow up most of my AFVs and then when the Panthers move forward I get them with the cookoff explosions!! Brilliant!!!!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Our thanks to Nuttername for posting a link to FGM, it saves me the workload of having to post any more tactical shots in GS if you're all happy to go to FGM to look at them..:)
In fact this link below is better because it covers the entire FGM CMBN Section-
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forumdisplay.php?160-Combat-Mission-Battle-for-Normandy

Incidentally a guy at FGM was asking this about my tactical posts-
"I'd like to put this at the CM wiki (http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Mission_Wiki), which I am trying to jumpstart. But I cannot PM PoorOldSpike. (I guess because he not registered? Is that what "Guest" means?) Anyway, if POS reads this, or you do and you can get hold of him: Can I have permission? It means placing your work under a "free" license"

FGM boss Bootie gave him the go-ahead but I don't mind as long as nobody's trying to make money from it, in which case I'll demand my cut..:)
Reminds me of the time Michael Dorosh wanted me to work with him to publish a book of my CM Tactical tips, but we had to abandon the idea because of possible copyright issues with Battlefront.

By the way, thanks to all the guys who've paid me the following CM tributes over the years in these posts and emails-

RocketMan- "POS is great guy to learn tank tactics from with unsurpassed file return times (it is like he is an AI or something with him returning files any time of the night or day).."
MrBadExample- "POS is excellent player, good guy and gets turns out quickly! Highly reccomended .."
Enigma- "POS is great tactician, superb return rate and some really wonderful comments with them too. Well worth playing! Also a great teacher in helping you improve your own gameplay and a really good playtester.."
Fredrock- "POS is interesting Tactician, good player, really great Banter,got to give him a try.."
British Tommy- "POS is a very good tactical player, well worth playing against.."
Von Schwendemann- "POS is excellent player with an outstanding return rate. If you haven't played him you are missing out. Have fun.."
Neubaufahrzeug- "Played twice in mirror mode against POS and he is a fair, competent and fast player. CM is living with such guys - let´s go on.."
Koen- "POS I must admit that you're crazy and something's totally wrong with you but you're honest and straight to the point.."
Mad Russian- "To give POS his due, he does good CM support..Every single time POS and I have played each other he is a grand opponent. His return rate is better than ANYBODY's!!!"
Geordie-"As a player POS is top notch and his file return rate is amongst the best I have encountered..his tactics work"
Hirr Leto- "POS is a good commander, and does what he does well"
Lord Bane quote- "POS I have been playing the game for many years but have learned quite a bit about the game by reading your fantastic tactical posts."
The Coil- "POS is great when you want to understand the mechanics of the game"
Wardog- "POS you are a tough little f*cker to play against"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Commander, we are under attack by POS, what are your orders??"

"Evasive manoeuvre number three!!...
Quickly or we shall not see the stars of home again!"

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I posted a link to show what happens when your 'Tactips' try to explain technical realities. I find it amusing.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted a link to show what happens when your 'Tactips' try to explain technical realities. I find it amusing.
It's a little bit of a bummer because I thought the thread had the chance to be more interactive. It's some great information and fantastic for people new to the game/engine.

I joined FGM recently when I saw they were putting together a CMMC type of thing for CMBN.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, I was enjoying the tactips too and as Im not allowed at FGM I guess that means no more for me!

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, I was enjoying the tactips too and as Im not allowed at FGM I guess that means no more for me!
Now why would you not be allowed over at FGM, Geordie, he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

: )

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[hirr]Leto;1483323 said:
Now why would you not be allowed over at FGM, Geordie, he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

: )
Lets just say that I keep to Central Scotland while Shane rules the North.......:devious:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As far as i know, non-FGM members can read all the posts over there but they can't post themselves.
I walked out of FGM last year and am no longer a member but can still pop back anytime to pick up my screenshot links and stuff.
So if anybody wants to look at my tac posts they're freely available to the whole wargaming community and orbiting Klingon Birds of Prey at FGM whether they're FGM members or not.

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As far as i know, non-FGM members can read all the posts over there but they can't post themselves.
I walked out of FGM last year and am no longer a member but can still pop back anytime to pick up my screenshot links and stuff.
So if anybody wants to look at my tac posts they're freely available to the whole wargaming community and orbiting Klingon Birds of Prey at FGM whether they're FGM members or not.
Correct. I have read the forums for months but only recently signed up.