CMBN is released

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good luck with it. In 2 tries I never got the demo to actually load and play.

Good Hunting.

MR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There's a Brecourt Manor scenario. Nice inclusion; I think Pete Wenman (the scenario designer) meant to say "Sergeant Lipton" when he assigned real names to the units though.

"Carwood" was Sergeant Lipton's first name.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The scenario editor is a bit weird - I knew about not having the immediate ability to just pick specific vehicle types from CM:SF (I see the option to change them at the bottom of the screen) but one of the random Shermans they gave me for my armor battalion in a June 6, 1944 scenario is a 76mm M4A1. The 76mm gun armed tanks didn't see service until August 1944. It does correctly identify the vehicle as "rare", but there is rare, and there is "shouldn't be there for a couple of months."

Of course, I was still going with the default date setting so I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
View attachment 33506

On the other hand, it is fun to have a new computer able to handle two opposing tank battalions on a 1km square map. Just to see what would happen. With some cavalry thrown in for support.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is there a way to "back out" of a scenario once you start reading the briefing? It used to be you could either alt-Q in the briefing screen, or there was actually an option called CANCEL right there on the screen that took you back to the menu. I don't see either option working here. I'm looking at the campaign files now, and if you read the campaign briefing for a campaign and decide you don't like it - there is no way to decline that I can see. You have to hit OK and sit through the load screen and then the first campaign scenario briefing, and THEN you can alt-Q to exit. Unless I've missed something?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ugh. The "Strange Awakenings" battle briefing is dreadful. The scenario author, who goes only by the name "Jaws", uses British spelling and abbreviations throughout (COY for company, "3rd Armoured" instead of "3d Armored", etc.), and manages to spell the word "joins" incorrectly. I also think he is trying to be funny by naming a farm "La Grande Mustache." Mmm. Not really.

There are a lot of fictional scenarios on the disc, I'm finding.

On the plus side, I liked the look of the map for A Delaying Action, especially the lighting effects from the sun just peeking over the horizon, and the light cast off the burning AFV that starts on-map.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinkoing about the recent conversation I had with thewood about the other CMx2 releases. And, although I never disputed him, I hadn't thought the CMSF was held until the disc were ready for shipping. But looking at yesterdays release reminded me that CMSF probably had to be released at the same time as the Paradox release. So it make sense that it was held back and why the other CMx2 releases weren't.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ugh. The "Strange Awakenings" battle briefing is dreadful. The scenario author, who goes only by the name "Jaws", uses British spelling and abbreviations throughout (COY for company, "3rd Armoured" instead of "3d Armored", etc.), and manages to spell the word "joins" incorrectly. I also think he is trying to be funny by naming a farm "La Grande Mustache." Mmm. Not really.

On the plus side, I liked the look of the map for A Delaying Action, especially the lighting effects from the sun just peeking over the horizon, and the light cast off the burning AFV that starts on-map.
Nothing wrong with British spelling old chap. And how did he spell 'joins'?

Putting aside the humour for a moment, it sounds like they did a few historical type scenario's then bulked it out with fictional ones (just guessing here as I don't own the game).

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
View attachment 33506

On the other hand, it is fun to have a new computer able to handle two opposing tank battalions on a 1km square map. Just to see what would happen. With some cavalry thrown in for support.
ROFL!!!! :) I bet every one has done this at one point. I could not believe the amount of floating discs hanging in the air!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Nothing wrong with British spelling old chap.
There is if you are talking about place and proper names. I cringe when I see Australians talking about some place called Pearl Harbour getting bombed on December 7th. There's no such place.

And how did he spell 'joins'?
Simple typo; I can't tell if it was meant to be "joined" or "joins". Either way, it's wrong.

Putting aside the humour for a moment, it sounds like they did a few historical type scenario's then bulked it out with fictional ones (just guessing here as I don't own the game).
I'm still going through the list - I'm going to put a page on my website listing some details of the release scenarios of the different CM offerings just for interests' sake. Always interesting to compare/contrast how they evolve over time. I was looking at the CM:BO ones again and noticed the originals there had some fictional ones as well, which wasn't how I remembered it. I think there was a trend towards more "hardcore" historical treatment as a community movement, maybe more as CM:BB and CM:AK evolved, but not on release of CM:BO.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Somebody really needs to proofread this "Jaws" person's briefings. I'm looking at Vierville on the release list. The briefing refers to Bravo company, ok, but also some howlers in the briefing. Most notably this chestnut:

"It is 0900hrs in the morning..."

Self-explanatory if you have any idea how the 24 hour clock works.

Significantly also - never gave the date of the scenario. I presume it is D-Day but it never actually says. Also a reference to "infanry" (sic) etc. I also notice one of the other scenario titles has a typo in it in the main listing; this is one of Jaws' also. Not a biggie, but seems odd that a delayed release - on order of months, not weeks - would still have so many flubs.

I am just noticing now that now all scenarios have designer's notes; too bad, I think it is a great feature. I get the impression they may have been scrambling to add scenarios in prior to release.

The map itself for Vierville is quite nice, on the other hand, so I guess I know where the time was spent. Even if "Carentan" is spelled incorrectly on the terrain label. :)

Last edited:

captskidd

Recruit
Reaction score
Jaws is Dutch. You might like to bear that in mind while commenting on his English.
And yes, there could perhaps have been more proofreading, but:
I get the impression they may have been scrambling to add scenarios in prior to release.
could possibly be correct.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Jaws is Dutch. You might like to bear that in mind while commenting on his English.
And yes, there could perhaps have been more proofreading, but:

could possibly be correct.
Thanks for the clarification. It's a fair point; and it they were third party "after market" scenarios, it wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, enough said perhaps.

Though I don't see that "Carentan" should be spelled differently whether the scenario author is English, Dutch, French or German... ;) Or the 24 hour clock. Actually, I thought it was actually more common in Europe than in North America.

One other pet peeve is the fact that the operational and tactical maps don't use French spellings - i.e. St. Lô or Périers, instead they just throw the English "St. Lo" and "Periers" etc. The French characters display correctly. Maybe being Canadian, I'm more sensitive to it because our government issue keyboards in the DND make us twist our fingers in weird ways to get around the "extra" keys when trying to find the shift.