CMA out in Russia

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have tried to download the demo from almost every single mirror and all I get is errors that the file doesn't exist. I have finally gotten AtomicGamer to work. BFC has always been terrible about using mirrors

I also wish they would enter the 21st century and take Amex.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I have played the demo a little...I am unimpressed...and impressed.

I really don't see, from a units prspective, what you can't do with CMSF.

But, I will say that whoever did the scenarios and built the terrain did an excellent job. It looks much better than any scenario for CMSF.

Other than a few units, including some AAA, I really don't see what the heck took over a year. Unless the better looking scenario terrain is the result of something new.

It doesn't fill me with hope that there will be any major "surprise" changes in store for NATO.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
OK, I have played the demo a little...I am unimpressed...and impressed.

I really don't see, from a units prspective, what you can't do with CMSF.

But, I will say that whoever did the scenarios and built the terrain did an excellent job. It looks much better than any scenario for CMSF.

Other than a few units, including some AAA, I really don't see what the heck took over a year. Unless the better looking scenario terrain is the result of something new.

It doesn't fill me with hope that there will be any major "surprise" changes in store for NATO.
Are there water and bridges?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not shown that I noticed...I'll take a look again.

They did a good job on the hills and mountains though.

edit:

Just checked and there is water. It looks decent. No bridges. You can put a road across the water, but it looks bad.

Last edited:

wengart

Reaction score
Country
ll
In the assaulted scenario there is a river in one corner of the map. Although it looks like retextured marsh and behaves the same.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played both scenarios. My conclusion is still; what the heck took so long?

Including a couple new models and changing the marsh graphic to water, there really isn't anything that should have taken this long. If there is, BFC may have been better off having stuck with the CM1 engine.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have played both scenarios. My conclusion is still; what the heck took so long?

Including a couple new models and changing the marsh graphic to water, there really isn't anything that should have taken this long. If there is, BFC may have been better off having stuck with the CM1 engine.
Could it be the Campaign system thats holding games up? There doesnt really seem to be anything else thats tangible in the games. Campaigns just seem to be cluttered and stupid, but it must take a lot of time to play them through, making sure they make sense.

Id settle for a CMN now without the Campaign against a CMN in Jun 2011 with one. Even then Id prefer my Campaign to be done wholly by the same guy or 2 guys. Mark Ezra and George McEwan for instance, they make good stuff. I hate the way the campaign battles so far have ranged from excellent, by any of the above, to poor. Some scenarios in the Marine one are especially poor.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If this post is any indication BFC is doing just fine financially with the CMx2 series. That's good news for the community.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=88125

There is a much different tone to that post as well towards the customer base.

Good Hunting.

MR
I'd be more inclined to ask: How insecure can you get?

If the product was that good, battlefront (read: Steve) could just let it speak for itself.

Instead of going on the air after two days to brag about sales figures - sales figures that they won't actually release in any tangible form.

There was absolutely no point to that post, in other words. It was just insecurity surrounding CM driving it. Probably driven by conversations on sites like this one, given the lack of positive buzz that was occurring at that time. Steve should blame his own PR people - I'd suggest he look at Matrix and see how they have been marketing games - i.e. daily screenshots, GoogleEarth applications, slick videos - and generate buzz in a positive manner, rather than going on-air to brag about sales. Particularly since he has stated he will never "prove" what he's saying by releasing the sales figures anyway.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And this from Steve is the closest he has come to any contrition on CMSF's release:

"Secondly, we would like to thank you customers. When CM:SF was released in a less-than-optimal state there was obviously room to doubt that we had the basic product that you guys really wanted. We pledged to fix the things which were broken, improve things which needed improving, and polish what needed to be polished. We asked for some patience in order to do this and, thankfully, all but a few of you extended it to us. Generally speaking, you guys have been great and extremely helpful in pointing us in the right directions to focus on. Of course we can't make everybody happy, but that was never out plan since that's about as possible as achieving world peace. As stated above, as long as there are enough of you plunking your money down then there really isn't more either can ask for."

If he been just a little much as contrite on release, most of us would still be posting at BFC.

wengart

Reaction score
Country
ll
Did BFC ever make those posts during the CMx1 era, or are they are relatively new phenomenon?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still it took two years...and note that since then, his tone one the board has changed quite a bit. He was all over anyone witha negative comment the first couple years. Since, he and his beta boys have been tame in comparison.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That post was July 31, 2009.

Good Hunting.

MR
That was almost exactly two years after CMSF was released. By that time Steve (with a little help) had chased off a very large chunk of his former CM x 1 base, and many that were still hanging around had a bitter taste in their mouths from "you just don't get it"..."real time and WeGo are equal partners"..."this latest patch makes the game the bee's knees" [rinse and repeat]..."there is no problem with {fill in a bug here}"..."the blue line will never return"...and many more.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are there water and bridges?
Water is just a grey material that sits at the bottom of various ravines. Bridges see represented by a strip of land crossing this.

At least I think that's what they are. This cannot happen for CMN that's for sure, I was under the impression that water would flow in this one. In CMN we are promised various differing bridges as well.

It doesn't make the game unplayable but it looks like a simple fudge of terrain to make something work.

Which continues to make me think that there is something stopping these games from coming out that we can only speculate. This one doesn't seem to have anything in it that CMSF doesn't. So why the long delays?