CM:SF Tourney interest page

TacCovert4

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because for the good of Gamesquad, not because we like BFC, it needs to be done.

I'm opening an interest page for a CM:SF (v1.12 (non-Marine/Brit) tournament. In order to get this thing going, I would like to see at least 6 participants, though I can make do with any numbers from 5-9. Also, in the Democratic Spirit, I would like to put forth the following possibilites for the tournament, which will be non-ladder, as I'm not confident I can make scenarios in SF balanced enough for true ladder play.

1) Mirrored or non-mirrored individual effort tourney
2) Individual command but group effort variable tourney (if your side is in the win column, they'll be attacking a possibly disorganized foe and visa versa)

I'd like to do the latter personally, as it would be more of a GS effort game, with say 2-3 rounds of different battles between the 'battalion commanders', with them collaborating on how to distribute their reinforcements and realign supporting fires and mobile units for the next battle, delivering those orders to me (scen designer) for me to consider (with a die roll to see if communications break down). Victory would be by most wins overall, with severity of win/loss coming into effect.

There are several interesting things we can use to build the scenarios from, such as;

1) Israel v. Hamas in Gaza (if Hamas holds it's own Syrian intervention is possible)

2) The Battle for Lebanon

3) Or we can make up an entirely fictional war that hasn't happened yet and work it out

(Israel would be played by US Army, with some OOB changes for realism)

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
JOINS?

TacCovert4

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And one other possible war that I didn't think about, but SF is capable of simulating.

The Palestinian Civil War.

Play on the side of Hamas or Fatah in the struggle for survival in Palestine. Brilliantly executed victories, or the possibility of ultimate defeat might result in the gaining of a 'patron' Arab state which will provide your troops with more advanced weaponry or vehicles (panel of unaffiliated judges will determine). Reinforcement infantry will be based on your level of victory/defeat, and reinforcement special/heavy weapons will be based on patronage, with a die roll determining smuggling success.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, man, I know it's disappointing. But CM:SF just made too many passed with different issues making different people uninterested.

I wouldn't blindly assume that PBEM works flawless now. So far I've only seen BFC beta testers claim that.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The lack of point purchase ability is what did it for me. Some of the fun tourneys involved buying stuff yourself then seeing what the other guy brought to the table. Or using the random force picker and seeing what happened.

If using pre-made scenarios, I'm still leery of balance and see playing them as kind of an iffy proposition, especially since I lack the detailed OOB knowledge to be able to be competitive. Took me forever to realize you had to physically haul anti-tank ammo out of the Strykers, for example, and that the infantry didn't do it automatically. I honestly have no idea what else I might be missing in some of the more rare units. To actually compete in a tourney would be too much like work. I was much more comfortable with CMX1 because at least it had unit info screens that were user friendly and you could tell that you had 'x' number of Panzerfausts, and the guys used them automatically when needed, etc. Maybe other guys feel the same way.

Do real time players even know what a "tourney" is? It's a whole new demographic BFC is catering to.

TacCovert4

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I doubt real time players have any idea what a tourney is. Unless it means playing a bunch of games on a single elimination pyramid.

To try to help both the balance issue and the abstractions I was looking at an UNCON and Syrian regular fight, as their AT assets are built in. But with no interest comes no tourney, so...............

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I keep waiting to see the first meta-campaign go off too. They talk about it at BFC but to date, I'm not aware of anyone getting something off the ground. Tough luck TacCovert4, but I'd say jump in over at WaW - there are more CM:SF players there, I think. Hope you find someone to help out.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pbem works flawlessly now. I'm not a beta tester.

WaW is running a SF tournament.
I wouldn't say flawlessly. It works better to the point of being reliabley playable, but still has issues with getting out of synch and infantry skating around periodically.

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't say flawlessly. It works better to the point of being reliabley playable, but still has issues with getting out of synch and infantry skating around periodically.
I haven't experienced any of these problems myself. I've only played about 5 email games and they've all behaved without a flaw.

Are you saying that some units have not been where you left them when you get the turn back from your opponent?