CM: Normandy Non-Announcement

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what are you all saying? :hmmm:

That you need a 3 Round BB, 1 Round AK six month Tournament to ease your angst starting in August? :halo:

Think before you reply... :salute:

Last edited:

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
[hirr]Leto;1295510 said:
On second thought, I am just going to leave this one be.

Cheers!

Leto
Heh. Too bad, I found your first answer to be much more inspiring. "Is it really that cold in here" ;).

Anyway, your record seemed to be impressive enough, lets hope CM:N is playable then, for my sake that is :). And I agree with the other stuff too, I remember when Snoop(7?) was the man to beat over at webob (early CMBO days) and he managed to stay that way for a pretty darn long time by playing QBs were the opponents got to pick both parameters and sides in an anything goes kind of way. Might say something about the sportsmanship over there as well. Anyway, that still impresses me to this day.

I'm not sure why you went all sober suddenly, my intention was just to get some (friendly) trash talk in, apologies if it came across in some other way.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Heh. Too bad, I found your first answer to be much more inspiring. "Is it really that cold in here" ;).

Anyway, your record seemed to be impressive enough, lets hope CM:N is playable then, for my sake that is :). And I agree with the other stuff too, I remember when Snoop(7?) was the man to beat over at webob (early CMBO days) and he managed to stay that way for a pretty darn long time by playing QBs were the opponents got to pick both parameters and sides in an anything goes kind of way. Might say something about the sportsmanship over there as well. Anyway, that still impresses me to this day.

I'm not sure why you went all sober suddenly, my intention was just to get some (friendly) trash talk in, apologies if it came across in some other way.
I just felt that the next step after posting one's record would be to start flashing all the cyber medals that I have won and then providing myself with a title such as "triple ladder leader" under my sig... I'd then move on to starting tournies with my own maps that I could play over and over again and have players try to beat me.... definately a place I do not want to go.

LMAO!!

Most definately there are a lot of good players out there, many better than I, but the sad part of this is that the majority of them have retired and or given up the ghost it seems. I would have loved to play many of these legendary guys...

Cheers!

Leto

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Leto,
I'm no CM legend but your more than welcome to kick my arse in BB or AK.
No QB's unless you insist. Just pick a scenario and send me a set up :smoke:

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Leto,
I'm no CM legend but your more than welcome to kick my arse in BB or AK.
No QB's unless you insist. Just pick a scenario and send me a set up :smoke:
I'm easy, just pick out a good scenario, pick a side and send me the file M8!

I love playing blind.

So if there are any scenarios you have been itching to try, I am your huckleberry.

Cheers!

Leto

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
[hirr]Leto;1295644 said:
I just felt that the next step after posting one's record would be to start flashing all the cyber medals that I have won and then providing myself with a title such as "triple ladder leader" under my sig... I'd then move on to starting tournies with my own maps that I could play over and over again and have players try to beat me.... definately a place I do not want to go.

LMAO!!
Hehe, fair enough, I wasn't aware how close you are to going batshit Napoleon on us.
And apologies for tempting you. ;)

Most definately there are a lot of good players out there, many better than I, but the sad part of this is that the majority of them have retired and or given up the ghost it seems. I would have loved to play many of these legendary guys...
Yeah, it seems that CM takes its toll, perhaps even more so if you get into it real bad.
Perhaps a case of "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy"? :)
But then the quality of the average player should go up over time, so in overall return you might come out ahead by getting in late.

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
So what are you all saying? :hmmm:

That you need a 3 Round BB, 1 Round AK six month Tournament to ease your angst starting in August? :halo:

Think before you reply... :salute:
Heh, I haven't played PBEM in 3.5-4 years (who would have thought that wouldn't be finished with CM:N by now...) and I don't play CM singelplayer so I'm not sure that that kind of thrashing is the right thing for me ;).

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geez, I've been playing fairly steadily since the beta demo and get beat regularly. I have 2 PBEMs going now, just won one and am probably tied in the other. We 've made most of our maneuvers and right now we're into a firepower contest. I give myself a 50/50 chance, but his personal morale is strong at this point.

I've never cared about being good, just about having fun. But I guess I could be tourney fodder for a bit if y'all're serious.

-dale

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never got to be really good at winning CMx1 games either. I think I made #20 on tournamenthouse for a week or so but that's about it.

More success in TacOps but that's ladderless.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casually babbling here, but...

I wonder if what BFC really "needs" to break out again is the much joked about "Space Lobsters of Doom"?

If they were to spend some creative time inventing their own far-future Space Marines-ish universe, say, they'd have a free hand to develop whatever tactical sim/game combo they want, and no one could say it was wrong, and far fewer could even get on a soapbox like me and squawk "but it's not RIGHT, bwaaaaawk! Pieces of eight! Scale mismatch! bwaaaaaaawk!".

Sure, they'd be giving up the "sim" aspect in favor of the "game" aspect, but they could go back to being a really accurate game instead of a somewhat-busted sim, which, IMO, is where they are right now.

-dale

Rule_303

Reaction score
Talonsoft tried that very thing in 2000, branching out from the safety of well-researched historical turn-based wargames (West Front / East Front) to a sci fi game which was released as "WarMonkeys" in the UK and "Dogs of War: Battle for Primus IV" in the States. I think they were trying to -- belatedly -- hop on the StarCraft bandwagon.

I tried this game out with a buddy of mine who is an IT gearhead and always has the most powerful PC that is commercially available: even then, the game took forever to load and crashed the system repeatedly. The interface was virtually incomprehensible (an overcomplicated series of hotkeys) and units were extremely hard to control.

The plotlines were simultaneously overcomplicated and nonsensical (even in a scifi setting). The alien races (including some glorified dinosaurs) were no fun at all to play, and were incredibly clumsy AI opponents -- to compensate they were extremely heavily armored behemoths. The Terran weapons technologies were relatively uncreative upgrades of 20th century weaponry.

We abandoned the game and our 40 bucks after about 2 hours of putzing around with it.

A cautionary tale....

NOTE: On the plus side, ISTR this game actually had moving water. This was 10 years ago.

Jeph

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I reckon it would be totally sweet to put out some kind of SLODTM module for CMSF. A totally out there invasion by alien desert scorpion creatures versus the best NATO has to offer.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sure, they'd be giving up the "sim" aspect in favor of the "game" aspect,
Pretty much the direction the disaffected fans would love for them to take, I think. Does that category include you? - I can't remember. :laugh:

I thought Dropship was supposed to be their Lobsters of Doom. They stopped supporting it. By accounts it was supposed to be okay, and the engine was supposed to be modifiable for a Second World War version. No idea why they didn't go forward.

I am sure a sci-fi game would be popular, but not for me. And if it doesn't hold Steve's interest, of course, it won't get done. He's said the same even about such things as the PTO.

Having said that, I do recall playing Wreck of the B.S.M. Pandora as a kid and not having a terrible time, but that was due perhaps to a scarcity of man-to-man games at that time - it was before I discovered Sniper! and Ambush! and well before first person shooters.

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
I always thought that an upgraded CMx1 would be excellent for some sort of Sci-Fi setting, something like Warhammer or Mechwarrior, but then I'm firmly in the game camp when it comes to game vs sim. If they had a larger set of settings to chose from they wouldn't have to be such hard-asses when it comes to modding either and their business model wouldn't depend on selling "unit packs". CMx2 went the wrong way with regards to scale for that though.

That they have opened up the engine to third-party developers might have increased the chance of something like that happening from zero to something infinitesimal, but their track record with other developers is really bad so I'm not holding my breath.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah what happened to Dropteam?

I thought the WW2 was well on it's way?

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty much the direction the disaffected fans would love for them to take, I think. Does that category include you? - I can't remember. :laugh:
:) Nahh. I'm just speculating that the same game engine with spacey skins would probably do well and garner a good rep.

-dale