CM: Normandy Non-Announcement

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Interesting. Although I'm obviously fascinated by the story of BFC these days, I have no interest in their potential product. If my direst, most extreme prediction came true with a vengeance and they folded their tent tomorrow, I'd grab a few BO/BB/AK disks from them or Ebay for backups and be okay.

-dale
As much as I hate the way they treat their customers, I still love the CMx1 games (SF didn't move me). I would hate to see them fold because as Leto pointed out above, this is a niche market so if they went, it might take years for a company to fill the void. I would buy extra discs like Dalem but also find those 'no cd exes' because once those discs go, that's it :(

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going on 6 3/4 years A.K. [after CMAK], I suspect that most of the hostages have escaped. The CM x 2 game design and BF "PR" were components of the "escape", but time between World War II [and/or historically driven games, etc.] is the toxic corrosion.

Ask yourself what your reaction would have been in late 2003 if you had known that it would be at least 7 years until BF released another World War II game. Steve, say it ain't so...

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1294650 said:
OYE RIGHT MISSUS DALEM! CAN YOU PLEASE PASS THE CRUMPETS! DID YOU 'ERE ABOUT THAT MR. MOON? AYE, I 'ERD FROM CONSTANCE THAT HE 'AS THREE TESTACLES HE DOES!

; )

Cheers!

Leto
Cor! Bring the brain jar up on the five inch!

-dale

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As much as I hate the way they treat their customers, I still love the CMx1 games (SF didn't move me). I would hate to see them fold because as Leto pointed out above, this is a niche market so if they went, it might take years for a company to fill the void. I would buy extra discs like Dalem but also find those 'no cd exes' because once those discs go, that's it :(
Hell's Bells, they've created their OWN void and can't seem to fill it. How would things be any different with them out of the picture?

-dale

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
If BF folds, then what have we got left? Matrix games spring to mind but what else???
The only good thing about BF folding is the possibility of them selling the CMx1 code to another company.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ignore Dalem's fatalistic streak. BFC is not going to fail. Well, in the near future anyways. Hey, all companies die...

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If BF folds, then what have we got left? Matrix games spring to mind but what else???
The only good thing about BF folding is the possibility of them selling the CMx1 code to another company.
Um.

BFC came out of nowhere.

What would stop anyone else from doing the same?

Mad Minute did it with a perfectly fine Civil War game. It was as "niche" as CM - i.e. Civil War 3D tactical. They sucked as bad at marketing as battlefront. Actually they at least tied in with the History Channel IIRC, so they were probably a bit better.

The best thing that could happen - possibly - would be for BFC to "fold its tent" and then perhaps some other pretenders wouldn't feel so intimidated. Maybe they would even be emboldened by the fact no one could then say "hey, you're just copying Combat Mission!"

As it is, I would welcome someone copying the good parts of Combat Mission. Being called a CM:BO clone would be a compliment, if there were certain improvements to it - and not the ones that BFC selected.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1294631 said:
Love em or hate em, BFC holds those of us who are CM freaks hostage, no matter what the end outcome is for CMN.
New game comes along, BFC fold's, whatever and it will be BFC who? Just like all the other games/companies I no longer play or care about.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
New game comes along, BFC fold's, whatever and it will be BFC who? Just like all the other games/companies I no longer play or care about.
Very true, if it's all you've got, then your stuck with it. If something else comes along that's even a wee bit better, then bye BFC. I certainly have no brand loyalty in PC games.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very true, if it's all you've got, then your stuck with it. If something else comes along that's even a wee bit better, then bye BFC. I certainly have no brand loyalty in PC games.
That's good because BFC has proven then have no customer loyalty as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That's good because BFC has proven then have no customer loyalty as well.

Good Hunting.

MR
The opposite is also true, BF don't have any cause to make the game I want. If the two happen to coincide then were both happy.

I'm not in the bitter at BF camp because they didn't churn out another CMx1 clone. It is their choice.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The opposite is also true, BF don't have any cause to make the game I want. If the two happen to coincide then were both happy.

I'm not in the bitter at BF camp because they didn't churn out another CMx1 clone. It is their choice.
I will come clean and admit this: I was, and still think I am, bitter with BFC that they did not make another CM clone. To be frank, I also am worried that the release of the new CMx2 will be the deathknell (somewhat) for CMx1 and that only a few diehard groups (such as WaW, WeBoB and FGM) will continue to play the game, but perhaps in a shared co-existance with the new game.

Lastly, and perhaps the most personal revelation of the bunch: I am quite good at CMx1. The prospect of having to learn another game and work my way up through the ranks to obtain the reputation I have as a world class player of the game, is frankly, quite frightening to me. Also, the new game may not have the same 'game like' qualities that would allow an ultra competitive player like myself to establish complete dominance of the game over any that I played.

Time to leave the psychiatrists couch and get some work done.

Cheers!

Leto

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man Leto, that compound fracture you just got from patting yourself on the back will take some time to heal.....:p

But I can see your point. For players that do move to the top of the field it's a question of having to master another game and that means a lot more time invested.

A friend of mine is 64 and he's talking about not getting any more games than he currently has because of that very issue. Not enough time to start learning new game systems.

Good Hunting.

MR

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Man Leto, that compound fracture you just got from patting yourself on the back will take some time to heal.....:p

But I can see your point. For players that do move to the top of the field it's a question of having to master another game and that means a lot more time invested.

A friend of mine is 64 and he's talking about not getting any more games than he currently has because of that very issue. Not enough time to start learning new game systems.

Good Hunting.

MR
I thought that people would gravitate to the honest revealing of my inner sanctum as fodder for comedy, but apparently, like all strategy gamers and grognard types, we aim for the 'ego' first, eh?

LOL!

Cheers!

Leto

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[hirr]Leto;1295095 said:
I will come clean and admit this: I was, and still think I am, bitter with BFC that they did not make another CM clone. To be frank, I also am worried that the release of the new CMx2 will be the deathknell (somewhat) for CMx1 and that only a few diehard groups (such as WaW, WeBoB and FGM) will continue to play the game, but perhaps in a shared co-existance with the new game.

Lastly, and perhaps the most personal revelation of the bunch: I am quite good at CMx1. The prospect of having to learn another game and work my way up through the ranks to obtain the reputation I have as a world class player of the game, is frankly, quite frightening to me. Also, the new game may not have the same 'game like' qualities that would allow an ultra competitive player like myself to establish complete dominance of the game over any that I played.

Time to leave the psychiatrists couch and get some work done.

Cheers!

Leto
Oh my! If you want to be good at CMN, then play CMSF. Play a few game with the WAW guys and I think you will Be OK.

It's only another game system.

In fact if you want a few games I'm always available for good old time opponents.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. If they make games you want they simply make more money. We are definitely at the behest of the game companies about what we get to play.

I'm not either. I don't like the marketing plan they have in mind. I don't like their Customer Relations plan. But as far as making a CMx1 clone....no. I'm with others on here that I would much rather see an improved CMx1. Which CMx2 may end up being.

All this wild eyed speculation is like picking a super bowl champion before the season starts. It has no bearing on what reality may well serve us.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1295302 said:
I thought that people would gravitate to the honest revealing of my inner sanctum as fodder for comedy, but apparently, like all strategy gamers and grognard types, we aim for the 'ego' first, eh?
I did go into your inner sanctum as fodder for my comedy....did you not appreciate it? :p

:laugh:

Good Hunting.

MR

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh my! If you want to be good at CMN, then play CMSF. Play a few game with the WAW guys and I think you will Be OK.

It's only another game system.

In fact if you want a few games I'm always available for good old time opponents.
Actually that sounds good. I have the base game only though. Perhaps we can play a few games and see if you can learn me the ropes!

Cheers!

Leto

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
[hirr]Leto;1295095 said:
God I hope you jest (bobster doesn't allow for non-member access, so I can't check the validity of the claim :)). But the prospect of losing against you, after reading some of your more "out there" posts here, might make me extend my CM-vacation forever. (I was holding out for CM:N, but the way things are heading in that area I'm currently more or less in limbo, but I'm starting to feel that CM-urge again.) I don't think I would be able to bear the shame, and knowing lady luck, she would pitch us against each other in some competition sooner rather than later.

edits: Some clarifications

Last edited:

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On second thought, I am just going to leave this one be.

Cheers!

Leto

Last edited: