CM:N forum is finally up and new title announced: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: CM:N forum is up and new title announced

Incidentally, as of this moment, the CM:SF forums have 196,942 posts in 10,4333 threads, and CM:A has 1,989 in 145 threads posts. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

The Normandy forum already has 1,357 posts in just 27 threads - three of them the "bones" threads that went over 300 posts.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

No one would know what the thread was about ... all it says is "first" and then gives the wrong URL. This is BIG NEWS.

Another screenshot - note the water and steel bridge:

View attachment 32118

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

So incidentally, is the abbreviation now CM:BN? CM:BfN? CM:N?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

No one would know what the thread was about ... all it says is "first" and then gives the wrong URL. This is BIG NEWS.
True enough.

It has been referred to as CM:BM for a while. I guess we'll see what sticks now that its been "outed".

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So incidentally, is the abbreviation now CM:BN? CM:BfN? CM:N?
I never liked "CMN", because you can mistake the "N" to stand for "any number > 1".

CMBN (no color) is to my liking in the tradition of CMBO, CMBB etc

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

But I was first. And incidently, the url goes right to the CMBN forum. What is wrong with the url.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There are some great solutions used for some CMx1 problems that I was happy to see mentioned in the announcement. One is a description of indirect fire of on map assets. Not just that there are guns that can be used in addition to mortars but, for me, more importantly is how the whole thing is modeled and linked to C2.

In CMx1 I loved using indect fire but often ran into problems with getting the right HQ unit to be the one that was able to call in the fire. Sometimes I would inadvertently move a strong leader too close to the mortar units and he would take over command. So then I'd have to wait for the next turn and make sure I moved him far enough away so that he wouldn't influence the mortar team but still close to the position I had wanted him in to begin with. The new system makes much more sense in that regard and is based on C2 not which HQ unit is closest.

(The announcements didn't get into the actual mechanics so shouldn't either but I feel very comfortable talking about the ideas behind it)

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

But I was first. And incidently, the url goes right to the CMBN forum. What is wrong with the url.
You were definitely first. I found out about it from your post.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

It's a substantial update of information, definitely. Wonder if this means we enter another doldrum, or if questions will get answered on the official forum...perhaps even a trickle of info will form...

Exciting stuff.

I'm waiting for KG_Jag and dalem to bring me down to earth though. :laugh: Before I get my hopes up too high.

I note that U.S. paratroopers are "in".

No mention of barbed wire, roadblocks, etc. and no sign of a foxhole yet...?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Seeing trenches above ground is kind of weird. I wonder what foxholes above ground will look like. I am kind of curious why a game like ToW can do it, but not CM.

I thought they had wire in one screenshot.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I dunno about bringing anyone down to earth, Michael, but my reaction is an unsurprising "so what". Flipping through the screen shots I still see only a bunch of posed stills designed to show objects rather than mechanics.

I did notice that some of the poses of the guys look less artificial than the CMSF stuff I've seen. A couple of the weapons teams guys' postures and tilted-in heads actually look like they're interacting with each other. If that was intentional, it's a nice touch, at least in a still shot.

And one would think that, with a title finally revealed, they should be no more than 6 months off. With these guys you never can tell though. :)

-dale

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Wasn't NATO announced like 6 months before release?

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: CM:N forum is finally up and new title announced: Combat Mission: Battle for Norm

All of this is nice and good and welcome.... but this still does not answer the ultimate question that will swing my decision to buy the game:

IS IT FUN TO PLAY.

Even though I intend on giving it a chance, I still am quite anxious that the quality of the game may be too focused on realism and simulation, leaving the gaming element poorly represented.

Or am I just being silly?

Cheers!

Leto

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: CM:N forum is finally up and new title announced: Combat Mission: Battle for Norm

[hirr]Leto;1342719 said:
All of this is nice and good and welcome.... but this still does not answer the ultimate question that will swing my decision to buy the game:

IS IT FUN TO PLAY.

Even though I intend on giving it a chance, I still am quite anxious that the quality of the game may be too focused on realism and simulation, leaving the gaming element poorly represented.

Or am I just being silly?

Cheers!

Leto
It is best to repeat my mantra on this, take ot for what it is worth. If you hated CMSF, flat out hated it, you will probably not like this. If what you thought of CMSF was "liked it" or better and WW2 is really your prefernce I will be surprised if you don't fall in love with this instantly. I liked CMSF and at times love it, this is addictive and I am constantly trying to free up time to play it. The old thrill is there for me and I suspect it will be for most. Most times when playing real time disappears and look up and 2 or 3 hours have gone by.

Remember though, anyone who is in any position to comment about whether or not the game is fun are predisposed to liking the engine already so until it is released to the public I'm not sure why you are expecting to read anything about the "fun to play" factor. Know what I mean, jellybean?

Also part of my mantra, anyone with even the slightest doubt should wait for the demo.

But, yes. It is fun to play. It is a sh1tload of fun to play.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If your guys are still going to be clustering around "action spots" like flies on poo, then one of the real failures of CMx2 remains. If that's still fun for you, leto, then you should be fine, what?

:)

-dale

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I would hope and expect its in better shape than CMSF on release so we don't have spend a year with BFC telling us we are stupid. Maybe we can actually get to playing it the first year or two.