CM:A beta tester AAR

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its the whole site and its been a couple hours. Not looking good.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see that they (posters at BFC) are already "nitpicking" CM:A before it even launches on such minor issues as the model year of trucks & wpns used. I'm sure they will be castigated and banned from that forum soon for such uncalled for behavior. :blab:

I certainly hope that no one here at old GS stoops to that level - correcting historical errors when CM:N comes out... :rolleyes:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is hopefully an example of what a few pictures cant tell us. Those screenshots could easlily have been taken from CMSF and so the game looks no different to me from it (with the obvious exception of weapons that is).

Theres no mention of how the game plays out in relation to a CMSF game. Has anyone played CMA? And if so, can they tell me if the experience differs mechanically from CMSF. Also, I would hope it would be different as if not, what the heck is taking it sooooooooo long?

wengart

Reaction score
Country
ll
One thing I immediately noticed was the improved draw distance of the foliage. In CM:SF those hillsides would have appeared barren.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I immediately noticed was the improved draw distance of the foliage. In CM:SF those hillsides would have appeared barren.
You sure this is not the other guy just having a better graphics card and higher settings?

wengart

Reaction score
Country
ll
No i'm running CM:SF on the highest graphics setting. Although the map might just be smaller than I think it is.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve did say recently they were eventually going to do something about draw distances, but that was only a few weeks ago. Doubt it shows up in those screen shots.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You sure this is not the other guy just having a better graphics card and higher settings?
That could be it. I got a fairly hot new card a few months ago and felt like I had been playing a different game than everyone else for the last few years. Kinda like getting a new eyeglass perscription...You don't realize how bad your eye are until you see how bad your eyes are.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is hopefully an example of what a few pictures cant tell us. Those screenshots could easlily have been taken from CMSF and so the game looks no different to me from it (with the obvious exception of weapons that is).
Odd but I can see what you mean. As I've mentioned before there is a much darker feel to the game than CMSF. I think I have equated it to the different in feel between CMBO and CMBB. But it doesn't come across as clearly in these screen shots. Maybe this one:

Theres no mention of how the game plays out in relation to a CMSF game. Has anyone played CMA? And if so, can they tell me if the experience differs mechanically from CMSF. Also, I would hope it would be different as if not, what the heck is taking it sooooooooo long?
I plays closer to WW2 than to 2008, in my opinion. And all the scenarios I have played have been extremely hard for me to win as Russian. However, I blame my suckyplay as much as the scenarios. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tell me if the experience differs mechanically from CMSF." Do you mean from a UI point of view or a tactical gameplay point of view?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tell me if the experience differs mechanically from CMSF." Do you mean from a UI point of view or a tactical gameplay point of view?
A bit of both really. I imagine your infantry are still gaggling around, but has the UI changed in any way? Is there a feeling that cover is better or that soldiers choose better defensive positions for example.

I think this game may be more infantry based than the last one and thereore feel that for me to get it some things have to have been done to the infantry model to make it more playable. Expecially from the Mujahadeen side.