Clue to Current State of CMN and Release Date

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd been planning on skipping the NATO module, but new Syrian units might just be enough to suck me in.

Maybe.

A pickup-mounted AA gun for unconventional forces, a 4-barreled flak AFV, finally a Syrian truck (let is have some extra ammo in), and a bunch of Syrian aircraft. I hope the AA assets can work both to deter air attack and against ground forces; the flak tank thingumy (ZSU-23-4 Shilka for the strictly accurate) might be the bast anti-infantry asset the Syrians have (although their current best ones, the RPG-29 and AGS-17 grenade launcher are pretty rare in scenarios). The screen shots only appear to show both AA vehicles firing against ground targets, judging by the gun elevations.
Ah, this can obviously go two ways. The AA can be effective against Allied ac or it can only be used against ground targets.

Obviously, real world means that the AA could never reach the Allied ac as they fly higher than it can reach, and so this probably only leaves ground targets.

During the Cold War, these things were designed to kill low flying allied ac as staying low in those days meant staying alive as there were much more things around that could kill at higher altitude.

Still, some welcome additions I think. My only chuckle reading the blurb about them was the French bit and the 'Critically Acclaimed' SF game comment. Maybe more critically than acclaimed at times. Still, a genuine reason to perhaps get this one.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait, seriously? They typoed their marketing advert? "Canada" and "France" look similar enough for that to be allowed to happen? If true, they're an even bigger sack of rubes than even I thought.

BFC can't be their main job, because they simply don't care enough.

-dale
BFCMoon said:
Oh, oopsie...
What utter amateurs they are. Disgusting.

-dale

Caractacus

Reaction score
Country
ll
My only chuckle reading the blurb about them was the French bit and the 'Critically Acclaimed' SF game comment. Maybe more critically than acclaimed at times. Still, a genuine reason to perhaps get this one.
Chuckle? I just about guffawed my coffee onto the desk! They really are self-deluded over there. Or do they treat their new brand of customers (if they actually exist) with such utter disdain that they think they can spout any old rubbish.

I hadn't seen the metacritic summary of reviews on CMSF for a long while, so just took a look. The average 'critic' score is 62 out of 100. This has been inflated by a single 90 plus review which IIRC was done by someone linked to CMSF.

Meanwhile 78 'regular Joes' have given CMSF an average score of 2.8 out of 10. Oh the wild acclaim! The songs, the dancing, the unadulterated joy!

I still vaguely recall the Tom Chick review that sent Steve into an apoplectic fit. It's not included at metacritic, but I might dig it up later.

Maybe I'll give them some slack. After the recent France/Canada fiasco, have they also accidentally confused the words 'acclaimed' and 'pilloried' :laugh:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had meant to comment on the "critically acclaimed" part also, but then let it slide. You guys are merciless. ;)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well here we go again. In the thread on the UI Steve says this

I'd like to improve the UI for handling file management. Should be possible without pushing CM: Normandy until 2011
This obviously means that CMN is going to be out before 2011. Now that's a wee bone!

Edit, would have been if I was reading this last year, got the dates wrong!

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
But on reflection, it does beg the question - is it something they actually looked at? If it is, why wouldn't Steve just step into the thread and say "hey, guys, you're going to be thrilled. We've looked at this and yes - it's one of the fixes you're going to love in CM:N."

No reason not to.

Right?

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot fathom their thought processes on this whole endeavor. Like I said, they're simply amateurs. Their actions indicate that they think they have something to prove, but their attitude belies that.

-dale

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow, this just in from

Normandy is looking very good. There is already a lengthy thread in the Beta Forum complaining about addiction

Steve
I can't get excited about Beta testers getting addicted. Some of those people thought CMSF was fantastic on day one. I'm not sure they are qualified to be addicted to anything less than mediocre.

We shall see......

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My mom just called; she says I'm the smartest boy EVER and a really good programmer too.

Steve
Not really, but means just about the same thing.

Call me when Tom Chick weighs in with a review of CM:N.

Quellist

Reaction score
Country
llCuba
Wow, this just in from

I can't get excited about Beta testers getting addicted. Some of those people thought CMSF was fantastic on day one. I'm not sure they are qualified to be addicted to anything less than mediocre.

We shall see......
Exactly, and where is the reality check? Isn't that somewhat the point of having the forum in the first place, to get some of the hard truths. In this case by someone telling them exactly what you are saying here, the damn emperor has no clothes.

shell-shocked

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It's a good sign that they aren't rushing the release. I would rather have a good game in 2011 than a broken one in 2010.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To be honest, it's been so loooooong, that as I said on another thread, I've sort of branched out into other things. I fire up CMSF maybe once every 2 weeks, for about half an hour or so. I maybe even tempted to wait an extra 6 months after a release to get my game.

I also imagine that CMSF is going to be sold exclusively by BF this time?

I also, also imagine that in keeping with the new age of BF, CMN will be aimed at the Single player market, everything else, no matter how I proved will therefore take second place. As usual, the Campaign will br the game focus. I'm not sure that this has even been started yet.

CMA in 2012 anyone?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We're busy with the final push for both Afghanistan and NATO. However, some screenshots from Normandy should be possible soon. As Thomm said, there are still a few things that need some textures.

We learned a VERY long time ago that too many people can't handle "works in progress" when it comes to screenshots, so we're quite careful to not release anything with obvious gaffs in it. For some reason a decent percentage of customers think a clearly identified "work in progress" shot is the same as what they will see when they buy the game.
Missed that howler from Steve back on August 10th.

I love that he spelled gaffes incorrectly. :D Bit of a gaffe in itself. Not as bad as the screen shot of the G.I. with the upside down ammo pouches, but about in the same league as mixing France up with Canada. ;)

Guess we're still waiting for those screen shots.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What Steve really means is that he/BF missed the gaffes that appear in the WIP shots, which--if caught--could and should have pointed out by BF when the shots are posted. But maybe the key thing is an apparent inability to say thanks to those who point these things out and then commit to fixing them. No one is perfect. The problem is that BF (read: mostly Steve) too often claims that it is nearly so.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What Steve really means is that he/BF missed the gaffes that appear in the WIP shots, which--if caught--could and should have pointed out by BF when the shots are posted. But maybe the key thing is an apparent inability to say thanks to those who point these things out and then commit to fixing them. No one is perfect. The problem is that BF (read: mostly Steve) too often claims that it is nearly so.
No, I understand his point. He's talking about posting work in progress shots with stuff he knows to be wrong because he doesn't want fans to share the images around and point to them etc. But he's not being honest here either, unless he's simply changed his policy, because the very first CM:SF screenshots were done with CM:AK terrain backgrounds. Perhaps that is what prompted the new policy - i.e. there was some kind of backlash about "CM:SF terrain hasn't improved since CM:AK" - but I don't recall that being an issue. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, I just don't remember it.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael, this is a niche (of a niche?) market. Those few of us in it understand what a WIP screen shot is, and are are also smart enough to go to the source to get the full story, if necessary. This game has not even been announced to be in beta; no sub-section of the BF forum has yet been created for CMN.

Those outside the wargaming niche are not likely to read this and if they do, are unlikely to detect/care about the "where's Waldo" errors. In fact most of them probably love the idea of 100's of Tigers going up against the U.S. in June 1944.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Michael, this is a niche (of a niche?) market. Those few of us in it understand what a WIP screen shot is, and are are also smart enough to go to the source to get the full story, if necessary. This game has not even been announced to be in beta; no sub-section of the BF forum has yet been created for CMN.

Those outside the wargaming niche are not likely to read this and if they do, are unlikely to detect/care about the "where's Waldo" errors. In fact most of them probably love the idea of 100's of Tigers going up against the U.S. in June 1944.
You lost me. What is it you think the beta testers are being negligent about then? I don't get that from his comments at all.