Clue to Current State of CMN and Release Date

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Looks like the grousing about red units paid off. Also looks like some of the work on CMA IS carrying over to NATO.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=258&Itemid=423
France, Germany and Holland???? I thought it was supposed to be Canada.

The upcoming NATO module in the critically acclaimed Combat Mission Shock Force series of modern tactical warfare is bursting full with content. Not only do you get three (!) full-blown new NATO forces to play with (France, Germany and Holland), complete with new equipment and weapons and tables of organization, but due to popular demand we've thrown in a bunch of new Syrian toys as well, both on and off the ground! Here is a short list:
The red units look to be just flak trucks and new aircraft types - which no one sees anyway.

Syrian Army:

* Truck Platoon - Zil-131
* Flak Battery - ZSU-23-4 Shilka

Unconventional:

* Technical Group[Heavy] - Pickup ZU-23-2

Air Support:

* MiG-23
* MiG-21bis
* Su-25
* Su-22M
* Su-17M
* Mi-24P
* Mi-24D
Kind of a yawner.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
Looks like the grousing about red units paid off. Also looks like some of the work on CMA IS carrying over to NATO.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=258&Itemid=423
I'd been planning on skipping the NATO module, but new Syrian units might just be enough to suck me in.

Maybe.

A pickup-mounted AA gun for unconventional forces, a 4-barreled flak AFV, finally a Syrian truck (let is have some extra ammo in), and a bunch of Syrian aircraft. I hope the AA assets can work both to deter air attack and against ground forces; the flak tank thingumy (ZSU-23-4 Shilka for the strictly accurate) might be the bast anti-infantry asset the Syrians have (although their current best ones, the RPG-29 and AGS-17 grenade launcher are pretty rare in scenarios). The screen shots only appear to show both AA vehicles firing against ground targets, judging by the gun elevations.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
France, Germany and Holland???? I thought it was supposed to be Canada.
Presumably a typo of some sort. They've already released screenshots of Canadian forces, and France has never been mentioned before AFAIK.

The red units look to be just flak trucks and new aircraft types - which no one sees anyway.
And there I was thinking that you valued enhanced tactics and gameplay over eye candy ;)

Kind of a yawner.
Not massively exciting, 'tis true, but a) better than nothing, and b) throw in the good Syrian equipment from other modules (notably the t-90 and BMP-3) with the air suppot and flank from this, use good Syrian airborne troops, and the Syrian side might be able to hold their own with only a 2-1 advantage in numbers...

EDIT.... as long as the blue force isn't the US army with its infinite supply of instakill javelins...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Presumably a typo of some sort. They've already released screenshots of Canadian forces, and France has never been mentioned before AFAIK.
It must be, they show the Canadian Leopard further down. Natural enough mistake I guess.

And there I was thinking that you valued enhanced tactics and gameplay over eye candy ;)
Touche. :p

Not massively exciting, 'tis true, but a) better than nothing, and b) throw in the good Syrian equipment from other modules (notably the t-90 and BMP-3) with the air suppot and flank from this, use good Syrian airborne troops, and the Syrian side might be able to hold their own with only a 2-1 advantage in numbers...

EDIT.... as long as the blue force isn't the US army with its infinite supply of instakill javelins...
Flak trucks would add some beef when used in an anti-personnel role. Looking forward to seeing some German ones in Normandy.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ZSU-23 is the premium weapon for developing countries that gives U.S. planners a headache.

Just read anything from early Delta Force work. Anything else they are happy to deal with. One of those suckers close to the helos or in the path of what is the lightest infantry in the world, big problem.

Can't wait.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Where are those three wheeled Dutch vehicles that look like clogs? I remember seeing them in a recent spy movie. Those would be some impressive AFV's to wield against the Syrians!

Cheers~!

Leto

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't understand the obsession some people have with the CAS stuff. As Dale points out, they are just shadows with big explosions following them. I remember in CM1 there were people that wanted dogfights.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't understand the obsession some people have with the CAS stuff. As Dale points out, they are just shadows with big explosions following them. I remember in CM1 there were people that wanted dogfights.
Nobody cares. But AAA in the ground role will spice up asymmetric gameplay quite a bit.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
... only without the shadows (in CMx2).

While it is a useful tool in CM:SF, I'd be quite happy for it to be entirely absent from CM:N. CM was always skated by BFC as being about tactical battles only; the prep bombardment, recon etc. was all considered to be outside the scope. I'd quite like to see air support in the same category in a WWII game. Maybe it is a personal preference thing, like my unswervng hatred of ambush missions where one side just gets shot up for the first few turns. Such things, to my mind, just mean that the balance of the scenario can be wrecked by a string of luck one way or the other (same applies to CMx1 air support and prep barrages). Things that can have a huge effect on your forces and are almost entirely random are very, very annoying to my mind. Just remove the damn random element, give me one less tank, and say it was knocked out by air attack five minutes before the scenario starts.

Of cousre, everyone has their own ideas about what CM ought to be trying to model.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It must be, they show the Canadian Leopard further down. Natural enough mistake I guess.
Wait, seriously? They typoed their marketing advert? "Canada" and "France" look similar enough for that to be allowed to happen? If true, they're an even bigger sack of rubes than even I thought.

BFC can't be their main job, because they simply don't care enough.

-dale

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of cousre, everyone has their own ideas about what CM ought to be trying to model.
Yeah, I think they'd be missing nothing and no one if they left out CAS altogether from CMN. Too expensive when it misses, too powerful when it hits, and a big chunk of programming time to get it right for something that was incredibly tactically peripheral.

-dale

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait, I take that back, I just remembered how those P51s saved Ryan at the end of Saving Private Ryan.