Clue to Current State of CMN and Release Date

Sgt_Kelly

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Plus most people were still busily playing it when CMBB came out. And CMBB loved us looooong time.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the forum only existed for a year or less before release. It may have been around a little longer. But at that point no grand plans had been announced and CC had just come out. So, while people were anticipating CMBO, it wasn't until the public beta released that the frothing at the mouth started.

Comparing that to what is happening to CMN is a little disingenuous. Steve has laid out a plan and they have screwed it up. They have spent years in development to supposedly be able to deliver faster and better. They have POed customers with those plans. With CMBO little expectations were set by BFC or their customers. If Steve had spent less time yakking at his customers the last seven years of CM2 development and instead listening to them, he might have actually shave a little time off CMN.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If Steve had spent less time yakking at his customers the last seven years of CM2 development and instead listening to them, he might have actually shave a little time off CMN.
The rest of your post is valid, but I'll zero in on this. Being the annoying literalist I am, we really don't know how much time Steve requires to do his CM development work, and how much time is "lost" by his - let's call it customer relations role, as that is surely what it is. You used the term disengenuous in your post; I think perhaps you're being a little of that yourself, perhaps for comic effect.

Your main point is well taken - the original release had less riding on it simply because expectations were lower. But consider this - the release of CM:N does have higher expectations, and that includes perhaps a need for more "customer relations" - i.e. Steve "yakking" as you put it. Certainly if he goes absent from the forum for any length of time, or there are no updates ("bones") those absences become points of contention in the various forums.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly my point...if they are going to have a marketing person, that person should be good enough to do the PR stuff...or maybe Steve won't let him.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MD, I have no idea how I am being disingenuous. Please explain. I think I am pretty frank in my post, not just pretending to be frank.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
MD, I have no idea how I am being disingenuous. Please explain. I think I am pretty frank in my post, not just pretending to be frank.
I just meant that you suggest CM:N is being harmed by Steve not spending enough time on it, when really, we have no idea and no way of knowing what the issues holding up release are. Indeed, we've all confessed to not even knowing what Steve's role actually is. From my perspective its quite possible all the conceptual stuff is "done" - having been done for CM:BO - and Steve's role is entirely fulfilled by doing nothing but talk on the forum. So it seems a little disengenuous to me to suggest that Steve is holding up the release of the game by talking "too much" on the forum. I'm presuming the comment was meant in jest, but very often your posts are made without any cues to indicate they were intended as humour.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just meant that you suggest CM:N is being harmed by Steve not spending enough time on it, when really, we have no idea and no way of knowing what the issues holding up release are. Indeed, we've all confessed to not even knowing what Steve's role actually is. From my perspective its quite possible all the conceptual stuff is "done" - having been done for CM:BO - and Steve's role is entirely fulfilled by doing nothing but talk on the forum. So it seems a little disengenuous to me to suggest that Steve is holding up the release of the game by talking "too much" on the forum. I'm presuming the comment was meant in jest, but very often your posts are made without any cues to indicate they were intended as humour.
As are mine. :)

-dale

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I want the guy with the shoe-repair shop on the corner to get a marketing person. I get shoes repaired there at least every other year or once every three years . Dammit, that guy's marketing and personal business is my concern!

I also have issues with his window dressings, invoicing, single-occupancy bathroom (off-limits to customers) and who he uses for dumpster rental. DAMMIT!, I want to know what glue he uses to fix my shoes! I don't care if its the same glue every guy with a shoe-repair-shop uses...He repairs my shoes and its my RIGHT to know what the glue is.

If I was the marketing person for that shoe-repair shop, I would develop my own glue even though that would take an R&D department.

Someday, when I save enough money, I will have my own shoe-repair shop and get a marketing guy....

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another month ends and still no sign on the horizon of any of the 2 promised new games and one new module. Not even a hint at when we will be playing them. Over 3 years for one game and over a year for a new small add-on. Makes you wonder how long they can go without getting something out.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another month ends and still no sign on the horizon of any of the 2 promised new games and one new module. Not even a hint at when we will be playing them. Over 3 years for one game and over a year for a new small add-on. Makes you wonder how long they can go without getting something out.
Ackkk--it's awful. They are making Dale look like a near genius, albeit a beer besotted one!

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep. The longer it continues, the more Dales theory becomes less crazy.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love it when the craziest turn out right.

But I want to play the bloody game :mad: