Closet Monsters

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have closet monsters. Board games lamenting in my closet because they are so demanding of set up space, that they only show up once in a milenia it seems.

I have Longest Day, that usually gets to be the favourite most favoured monster.

I have Western Desert for Europa, for when I need to go all the way in the desert.

And Pacific War, lead wargame in "you want how much table?".

What monsters do you have peeking from behind the closet door wishing you would finally get that game room you promised them so long ago? :)

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
:)

Wellington's Victory
Terrible Swift Sword
3 Days of Gettysburg
the 7 Days Battles Trilogy by the Gamers
2nd Front
That GR/D Africa game you mentioned
The Longest Day
War of Resistance
River of Death
The Next War
GDW's 3rd World War 4 game series
Pacific War (which I was just looking oer again tonight...)
GDW's Operation Crusader

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
The Next War,
War in the East,
Wacht am Rhein,

One day I'll get time/room :)

Narses

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Advanced European Theater of Operations
Three Days of Gettysburg
Pacific Theater of Operations
USN Deluxe
DAK

Oh well, only 30 more years until retirement . . .

tsar

Reaction score
Wacht am Rhein,
The Next War,
War in Europe,
War in the Pacific.

Just bought a bigger house and thought I would have my own game room. The Girl Friend had other ideas. :cry:

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Terrible Swift Sword
Gulf Strike
Both of these games I played two or three times. I was single, renting a basement suite, and had a dining table dedicated to wargaming. Now I'm married and own a condo. Space, time, and consideration of my wife need to be taken into account.

D.A.K.
Sitting in my closet. I'm saving it for retirement I think.

I keep the games around with the idea of converting some of their scenarios to CoW. Another 'one day I'll do it' project.

Dan_Dare

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I cleaned out the closet monsters I knew I would never play last time I moved house.

I kept Wellington's Victory and SPI's Atlantic wall because I play them every decade or so and enjoy it when I do.

I kept SPI's The Campaign for North Africa because I can't beleive they ever published it and I need to see it and read the rules again to confirm it to my unbelieving mind. My favourite quote from the designers notes:

"I did CNA as a definitive and informationally overpowering simulation because I wanted to see how far I could take simulation gaming and still survive. CNA is virtually unplayable - as a game."

I wish they had printed that on the box. :smoke:

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
-Three Days of Gettysburg (first edition with its three beautiful maps, that I set up sometimes just to look at them *sigh*)

-Pacific War (never found out how to set up all the displays and player aids for the campaign game and still be able to sit somewhere)

-Omaha: Bloody Beach (from The Gamers's TCS, four maps for the full game...)

-GMT's Typhoon (same as 3 DoG..)

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"-Pacific War (never found out how to set up all the displays and player aids for the campaign game and still be able to sit somewhere)"

Exact same problem here :(

I am in a spot where I am probably just going to sit and wait and see if Strategic Command 2, with it's superior editor, will allow people to make Pacific theatre maps possible.

If not, there is always War in the Pacific from Matrix Games.

Seems a lot more likely than me ending up owning a large 5 bedroom home so I can finally get the space for my mostly unused copy of Pacific War.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Priest said:
Oh yeah, forgot about Hell's Highway.
come on mate, Hell's Highway is not a monster ;) the map isn't too large and there are few counters, maybe you were thinking of SPI's Highway to the Reich?

Priest

Reaction score
Boonierat said:
come on mate, Hell's Highway is not a monster ;) the map isn't too large and there are few counters, maybe you were thinking of SPI's Highway to the Reich?
Yeah that's it, sorry for the mistake.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sold off most of my monsters (Korsun Pocket, Bloody Beach: Omaha, War if the East, etc.) Only have a few left:

Streets of Stalingrad
Flattop
Empires in Arms
Advanced Third Reich/Empire of the Rising Sun

freightshaker

Reaction score
Boonierat -Omaha: Bloody Beach (from The Gamers's TCS said:
I've mounted all 4 maps on card stock and have it tucked away in a cardboard sleeve along with mounted KGP I, Objective Schmidt, and RB maps. Works pretty well. Last time I played the large campaign (solitaire!!!) I had it set up on a large drafting table but still had to use separate tables for the landing charts and all. What a monster!

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My favorite closet monsters have got to be the Barbarossa Army Group North, Center, and South with 12 maps by GMT. If you include Operation Typhoon you will have over 15 maps and nearly 3500 counters.

The best part is that they plan to release a couple more modules to complete the system something like Stalingrad, Kharkov, Sevastopol and Army Group A for an additional 10 more maps!

check out this cool site on the series, it has some annimated demos:
http://www.wargalley.com/efs/

Who says that the Monsters are dead? :smoke:

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Doughboy said:
Who says that the Monsters are dead? :smoke:
Noone ;) actually I love monster games, even if you can hardly play them, they are just beautiful stuff (yeah I know I'm sick like that :p )

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No worse than some folks who rent out a gym floor to play Jutland! :cheeky:
I think they did that at Origins years ago.

Boonierat said:
Noone ;) actually I love monster games, even if you can hardly play them, they are just beautiful stuff (yeah I know I'm sick like that :p )