Close Combat vs partially broken stack

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going into CC against a Pillbox. Inside are a GO crew and a broken squad. If they are attacked together is the -2 vs a broken unit DRM applied to the single DR for the whole stack?

For example, odds of 1:1 and a DR of 6. Does that kill everyone or kill the broken guy and leave the crew unharmed?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The -2 CC DRM only applies vs the broken units.

For example, odds of 1:1 and a DR of 6. Does that kill everyone or kill the broken guy and leave the crew unharmed?
Just the broken unit.

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
as Klas said, the -2 CC DRM applies to the broken unit only, so in your example the broken squad dies and the GO Crew is fine.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The crew is mentally scarred for life by the death of their compadres and drinking buddies in tragic circumstances. That is hardly fine.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,
I'm a new player, I've been playing ASLSK for a while. This is a rule that I've been playing wrong. I was using all the modifiers on the QRDC in SK1 to work out the odds of each stack attacking/defending. On that card other FP and DR modifiers are listed; for Pin and CX. How do I apply these for CC? Are these listed in the full rule book CC section, I have a copy but can't see them?

Thanks,
Zac
Hi Zac,

I don't know about ASLSK, but I think you are asking about full ASL. FP & DR Modifiers (DRM) for CC are listed on the QRDC. Explanation of these within the RB are scattered - sometimes found within section A11., but more clearly within rules for each "unit condition"...

For example, the CC effects of Pinning are explained under A7.8 where Pinning is first discussed. Pinned units have their CC FP halved for their attacks, but get full FP for CC attacks made against them.

The CC effects of CX can be found under A4.51 - despite that A4. is the general section for "Movement," it also includes the primary discussion of "Counters Exhausted." In CC, CX units add +1 to their attacks but give -1 to attacks made against them.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi all,
I'm a new player, I've been playing ASLSK for a while. This is a rule that I've been playing wrong. I was using all the modifiers on the QRDC in SK1 to work out the odds of each stack attacking/defending. On that card other FP and DR modifiers are listed; for Pin and CX. How do I apply these for CC? Are these listed in the full rule book CC section, I have a copy but can't see them? How about something like the -1DRM for a squad with a flamethrower, does this apply in CC also?
The general principle is that a DRM that applies to an attack applies to the entire attack even if only one unit has that DRM (not including leadership), while a DRM that applies to the defender only applies to the specific defenders. This applies both on the IFT and in CC (and probably other places). So if a firegroup or CC attack includes one unit that is CX and one that is not, the CX DRM applies to the attack. On the other hand if the defenders (in CC; defenders are not affected by CX when attacked on the IFT) include two units, one of which is CX, the CX DRM applies only to that unit. In ASL this is at the start of chapter A. I can't tell you where it is in ASLSK, but I am fairly sure it is in there somewhere.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
At 1:1 against two units, one of which was CX, a DR of 6 would CR the CX unit while not affecting the other unit.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was trying to think of a DRM in ASLSK that applies to the defender on the IFT. In ASL it is pretty easy because different units can be in different terrain in the same hex, e.g. with foxholes. In ASLSK (and ASL) the IFT DRM that will apply to one unit but not the other is possessing a FT. If an attack is made at four FP on the IFT against two units, one possessing a FT and no other DRM, and the DR is an eight, the unit with the FT takes a PTC while the other unit is not affected.

JR

Last edited:

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
The general principle is that a DRM that applies to an attack applies to the entire attack even if only one unit has that DRM....

JR
For Ambush calculation one unit affect the whole stack, right?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, one or more units suffering from an adverse condition affects the entire stack for ambush and CC resolution purposes.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Yes, one or more units suffering from an adverse condition affects the entire stack for ambush and CC resolution purposes.
Larry, I understood that JRV was saying something different about the CC. Negative DRM for the defender (not capital letter) affects only the specific units and not the whole stack (one unit CX and one unit not CX, the DRM -1 apply only to the CX unit not to the other one).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I misspoke. That's right. Any condition affects the ambush. The CX -1 only applies to that unit for resolution. If a 1:1 attack against a leader and CX squad rolls a 5, the CX squad is dead on a final 4 and the leader gets the 5, CR.