Cloaking

buser333

Reaction score
E1.41 seems pretty clear, but I just want to verify that a scenario Attacker MUST start a unit with a cloaking counter, rather than just concealed?

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe you hit the nail on the head with the reference. It does say 'always' so that seals it.

E1.41 CONTENTS: The Scenario Attacker's Infantry (only) always starts the scenario in the form of Cloaking counters [EXC: Aerial landings].

Although, if you really needed them to not be Cloaked, you could drop concealment whenever you deem appropriate once you start.

A12.14 REMOVAL: ... The owning player can voluntarily remove any concealment at any time during his or his opponent's Player Turn [EXC: between when a Sniper target hex Random Location DR (14.2) is made and the Sniper counter is relocated].

I hope that helps.

Scott.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Infantry yes, but. The rules do not consider a lot of cases. If you have an ordinary scenario then the answer is yes. In other cases (e.g. where there are on-board and off-board units or there are Guns) you may wish to use this Q&A regarding VotG:

Q&A.v20 said:
E1.4 & SSR VotG2
Q1: Can a cloaking counter start HIP?
Q2: Must ALL ATTACKER's infantry start cloaked, onboard and offboard?
Q3: How is an ATTACKER'€™s gun and its crew treated when starting onboard?
Q4: Does HIP observers need cloaking counters too?
Q5: Can a unit in a reserve cloaking counter activate and immediately fire a 4+ PP SW?
Q6: Can a Soviet dummy or cloaking counter enter sewers in VotG? What ML does it roll against?
A. 1. No. 2. Offboard, yes. Onboard, no. 3. They could set up cloaked or HIP (if otherwise allowed). 4. No. 5. No. 6. Yes; 7. {1}
JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, the Night rules are sort-of written under the assumption that the Scenario Attacker always enter from offboard.