Cloaking at Night moving within NVR

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
A Cloaked stack uses non-Assault Movement to move adjacent to an enemy Location.
NVR=2 and no Illumination.

As best I can figure...........Cloaking is not lost.
The terrain being entered doesn't matter. Could be OG or Woods.
So multiple stacks of Japs can move adjacent to USA and then spring the trap all at once before any Illumination is allowed. Looking at HC5 The Sand Spit.

Seems to me that moving Iluminated OR within NVR OG would uncloak but can't read it that way.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A Cloaked stack uses non-Assault Movement to move adjacent to an enemy Location.

So multiple stacks of Japs can move adjacent to USA and then spring the trap all at once before any Illumination is allowed. Looking at HC5 The Sand Spit.

Seems to me that moving Iluminated OR within NVR OG would uncloak but can't read it that way.
I was thinking about Night after it was brought up in the dismantling thread. Specifically I was curious about what actions VASL automatically performs for you in a Night scenario, if any.

Sorry to go off topic. Are you playing ftf or VASL?

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

I can't claim be a night expert - see the other thread that @Actionjick was referring to :D - but I believe the answer is given by the following:
E1.31 "An Infantry unit loses Cloaking/? at night if it uses non-Assault Movement in a Location that is already Illuminated when that unit expends MF in it, or it it enters an enemy-occupied Location during the MPh. Otherwise it does not lose Cloaking/? at night when moving/advancing."

So not lost even if moving in open ground within NVR, as long as the hex is not illuminated, and even if illuminated can be retained by using Assault movement.

Night in jungle is brutal. Jungle locations are not Illuminated regardless of starshells etc. Cloaking is crucial because once lost (even if the units become concealed) movement becomes harder in concealment terrain. In defence the US can still fire at the adjacent Japanese cloaking counters to attempt to reveal them (unless NVR happens to drop to 0, in which case they are out of LOS even when adjacent). One of my best weapons as the US in Edson's Ridge CG was a 9-2 leader cloaked with a couple of squads, who kept moving up to Japanese stacks, somehow avoiding any concealment loss IFT results, ambushing, killing and withdrawing forward while remaining cloaked.

Last edited:

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was thinking about Night after it was brought up in the dismantling thread. Specifically I was curious about what actions VASL automatically performs for you in a Night scenario, if any.
I love the night - stayed away from it for so long out of fear of the extra rules, but it brings so much additional tactical maneuvering with respect to visibility and how you control that to your advantage with starshells/IR. VASL shows you a darkened board, with Illuminated hexes from starshells, IR, gunflashes etc back to normal brightness, so you can easily see which areas of the board are in/out of LOS.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Actionjick , when you click the night button on the VASL controls window, it darkens the screen. If you place gunflashes, a blaze or SS/IR it illuminates the appropriate number of hexes from it to the original illumination of the screen. So it lights up the hexes that are illuminated, although it does not know the rules for shadows. The player needs to be aware of that, but no accidentally stepping into illuminated hexes just because a starshell counter got covered up.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
I can't claim be a night expert - see the other thread that @Actionjick was referring to :D - but I believe the answer is given by the following:
E1.31 "An Infantry unit loses Cloaking/? at night if it uses non-Assault Movement in a Location that is already Illuminated when that unit expends MF in it, or it it enters an enemy-occupied Location during the MPh. Otherwise it does not lose Cloaking/? at night when moving/advancing."

So not lost even if moving in open ground within NVR, as long as the hex is not illuminated, and even if illuminated can be retained by using Assault movement.

Night in jungle is brutal. Jungle locations are not Illuminated regardless of starshells etc. Cloaking is crucial because once lost (even if the units become concealed) movement becomes harder in concealment terrain. In defence the US can still fire at the adjacent Japanese cloaking counters to attempt to reveal them (unless NVR happens to drop to 0, in which case they are out of LOS even when adjacent). One of my best weapons as the US in Edson's Ridge CG was a 9-2 leader cloaked with a couple of squads, who kept moving up to Japanese stacks, somehow avoiding any concealment loss IFT results, ambushing, killing and withdrawing forward while remaining cloaked.
ah ok.............the part I'm missing is that they can fire within NVR at Cloaked as AreaFire.
I incorrectly had the NO-MOVE meaning they could not fire also.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
@Actionjick , when you click the night button on the VASL controls window, it darkens the screen. If you place gunflashes, a blaze or SS/IR it illuminates the appropriate number of hexes from it to the original illumination of the screen. So it lights up the hexes that are illuminated, although it does not know the rules for shadows. The player needs to be aware of that, but no accidentally stepping into illuminated hexes just because a starshell counter got covered up.
Thanks! I loved playing Night but it took even more imagination. Very cool on VASL.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One needs to just sit down and play night, play more night and play some more night.

Play night in snow or in jungle or in Korea. Up a freezing mountain

play night rules

until one forgets that one is playing night

play until night rules.

And then, night is not a difficulty anymore.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One needs to just sit down and play night, play more night and play some more night.

Play night in snow or in jungle or in Korea. Up a freezing mountain

play night rules

until one forgets that one is playing night

play until night rules.

And then, night is not a difficulty anymore.
That's what we did. It works too.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the night - stayed away from it for so long out of fear of the extra rules, but it brings so much additional tactical maneuvering with respect to visibility and how you control that to your advantage with starshells/IR. VASL shows you a darkened board, with Illuminated hexes from starshells, IR, gunflashes etc back to normal brightness, so you can easily see which areas of the board are in/out of LOS.
When playing night scenario FtF we often use a backup computer VASL presentation of at least the terrain to assist in the visualization of various illumination sources.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One needs to just sit down and play night, play more night and play some more night...then, night is not a difficulty anymore.
Absolutely. Back when I got VotG...my opponent and I quickly learned that (in my best Jack Nicholson voice)...the Russians WANT the night...the Russians NEED the night... :D

So eventually after a few turns/scenarios/CGs...the night rules were no longer so mysterious and now we have no problem playing at night.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any of the CGs will help you learn the night rules. I completed VotG earlier this year and Dinant as the Germans more recently. You'll learn the night rules alright. :p
Agreed...I've played VotG CG IV five times...and then recently played the Dinant CG as the Germans as well.

The night rules were no problem by then as sheer repetition in Stalingrad kind of ingrains those rules in your head to the point where there is very little rules diving... :)