Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have only one example "off the top of my head", as they say. The Majority Squad Type (E.4) seems to have been thought of as something that would apply to several aspects of night combat, like ambush and straying, but I think Perry has ruled that the Majority Squad Type affects only straying.

Another one came to me: E1.31 . This rule talks about concealment loss at night, but I have a clarification in my RB that tells me the rule is dealing with concealment loss only during movement/advance.

So, in fact, I was talking about the rules being clearer; not about making changes. Although, one could ask, why not apply the MST to ambush?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have only one example "off the top of my head", as they say. The Majority Squad Type (E.4) seems to have been thought of as something that would apply to several aspects of night combat, like ambush and straying, but I think Perry has ruled that the Majority Squad Type affects only straying.

Another one came to me: E1.31 . This rule talks about concealment loss at night, but I have a clarification in my RB that tells me the rule is dealing with concealment loss only during movement/advance.

So, in fact, I was talking about the rules being clearer; not about making changes. Although, one could ask, why not apply the MST to ambush?
Nice points. As I have said before loved playing Night! Good stuff!
Once again I will pimp up Fort McGregor. 🤗

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, I have a few annotations in my rulebook margins explaining to myself what I think the rule actually means. Of course they're all in pencil just in case...:D

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
What would you change?
I think the night rules work well...really well. But when you're playing a large scenario/campaign and use broken units as a method of basically actively slowing the assault down it feels a little "gamey".

If it were me I'd allow units to move through broken units (as if they were disrupted) at night.

But, let me stress, I don't think the rules are "broken" and don't believe they actually merit change.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think the night rules work well...really well. But when you're playing a large scenario/campaign and use broken units as a method of basically actively slowing the assault down it feels a little "gamey".

If it were me I'd allow units to move through broken units (as if they were disrupted) at night.

But, let me stress, I don't think the rules are "broken" and don't believe they actually merit change.
That's an interesting idea though.🤔

Perhaps use it as a SSR sometime and post your opinion of it.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I should add. The best scenarios/campaign days I've ever played (Peg Bridge, Barricades, Festung Budapest) have been night scenarios. It's truly awesome.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I should add. The best scenarios/campaign days I've ever played (Peg Bridge, Barricades, Festung Budapest) have been night scenarios. It's truly awesome.
I couldn't agree more - I'm playing FB CG3 now as the Germans, I lost huge swathes of territory on day 1, did a (risky) night counterattack on day 2, and loved the delicate balance of needing to achieve my objectives in one area of the map while trying to avoid letting Russian leaders see me and activate units in other regions where I was all bluff and no substance.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I couldn't agree more - I'm playing FB CG3 now as the Germans, I lost huge swathes of territory on day 1, did a (risky) night counterattack on day 2, and loved the delicate balance of needing to achieve my objectives in one area of the map while trying to avoid letting Russian leaders see me and activate units in other regions where I was all bluff and no substance.
🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I may have asked this before but Captain Bacchus is curious. When you play ftf Night scenarios do you use VASL or some variant as a visual aid? Seems quite handy, especially around 1:00 AM.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I may have asked this before but Captain Bacchus is curious. When you play ftf Night scenarios do you use VASL or some variant as a visual aid? Seems quite handy, especially around 1:00 AM.
I've only ever played Night on VASL, but your question has made me think. It was a great learning tool, but now I'm more comfortable with Night I guess I'd play it ftf too. Having VASL on the side would be a useful crutch, but you don't get practice until you force yourself to by not using it, right?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nice attitude!🤗
I've only ever played Night on VASL, but your question has made me think. It was a great learning tool, but now I'm more comfortable with Night I guess I'd play it ftf too. Having VASL on the side would be a useful crutch, but you don't get practice until you force yourdelf to by not using it, right?