Cloaked unit moving a non-dm SW

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During a night scenario a cloaked unit recovers a non-dm MTR (5PP) in its movement phase while remaining cloaked. Does the unit's movement need to end since the MTR is able to be dm and is not?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Q&A said:
E1.42 May a Cloaked SMC portage a 1-PP SW? May a cloaked MMC portage two 2PP dm 50mm mortars totaling 4PP?
A. Yes. No; except as specified for 4-PP and 5-PP SW that cannot be dm, a unit cannot portage greater than its IPC while Cloaked. [J1; Mw]

If the MTR is > 3 PP it may not be portaged. It may be possessed but it couldn't be fired on the turn the possessing unit comes out of cloak [E1.42].

JR

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Assuming the cloaked unit is out of LOS of all enemy units, can the cloaked unit dm the MTR in the AFPh (since it hasn't moved) and still remain cloaked? -Sully

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks. Assuming the cloaked unit is out of LOS of all enemy units, can the cloaked unit dm the MTR in the AFPh (since it hasn't moved) and still remain cloaked? -Sully
It sounds like dismantling is possible, but not in the AFPh as dismantling can only be done in PFPh/DFPh [A9.8] even if the weapon has not moved.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe so as the unit would have to possess the SW (thus considered portaging it). A SW (or one possessed by a unit as they cannot exist in separate states once possession has been established) must be dm if possible (E1.42). So I would contend if the Mtr is capable of being dm'ed and is not, it could not be possessed/portaged by a unit in a Cloaked status.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't believe so as the unit would have to possess the SW (thus considered portaging it). A SW (or one possessed by a unit as they cannot exist in separate states once possession has been established) must be dm if possible (E1.42). So I would contend if the Mtr is capable of being dm'ed and is not, it could not be possessed/portaged by a unit in a Cloaked status.
My read of A4.4 is that possession is possession [A4.43] and that portage [A4.4] is movement of possessed SW. In particular, A4.43 "A SW/Gun must be possessed (i.e., on top of a Personnel unit) to be fired or portaged (or pushed)." Thus a unit may possess a Gun, but may not portage it. Similarly a unit may possess an unlimited number of Guns/SW but may only portage as much as would not reduce its MF to zero.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My read of A4.4 is that possession is possession [A4.43] and that portage [A4.4] is movement of possessed SW. In particular, A4.43 "A SW/Gun must be possessed (i.e., on top of a Personnel unit) to be fired or portaged (or pushed)." Thus a unit may possess a Gun, but may not portage it. Similarly a unit may possess an unlimited number of Guns/SW but may only portage as much as would not reduce its MF to zero.

JR
OK, have no problem with that interpretation. However E1.42 still stands an an EXACT statement of the requirements but there is always the "if possible" at the end of the statement that could be a loophole or a point of contention, based upon the present situation. Playing it, I would more than likely allow it to be picked up while remaining Cloaked, but would disallow its portage in a "mantled" state while Cloaked. But that's just me.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would more than likely allow it to be picked up while remaining Cloaked, but would disallow its portage in a "mantled" state while Cloaked.
That was my reading as well. Perhaps when development is finished on Chapter E this will all be clarified.

JR