Cloacking for Attacker during night

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Consider a Russian night Attacker during a Red Barricades scenario.

Must the Russian player use Cloacking for all his infantry units, or may he use regular concealment/HIP instead?

What about a HIP Phone operator? A Cloacked unit may not use HIP.
It's sad to set up your observer on a roof with a cloacking marker.

The rules in Chapter E does imply that the Attacker must use cloacking but I do not find that reasonable in a Russian night assault in RB. It should be possible to choose not to use cloacking as this is in principle an advantage that may be given away at the players option.

Bjørnar
(With Torgeir, we are launching our third russian night assault in RB to kick out the germans)

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bjoernar said:
It should be possible to choose not to use cloacking as this is in principle an advantage that may be given away at the players option.
I think you opponent will allow it, regardless of the rules. The question is why would anyone want to do it? Cloaking is the equal/superior to concealment in every way that I can think of.

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The opponent allows it and we play it that way. The point is that you may want to set up e.g. a HIP HMG stack with the russians and be able to fire at will. The reason is that a 4 or 5 PP SW cannot fire the turn it looses Cloacking hence the moment of surprise go away if one has to place the stack onboard the turn before you want to fire the HMG's (which is not very practical for First Fire purposes).

Bjørnar

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All of chapter E is "optional", so you don't have to allow a night scenario at all!!!!

:cheeky:

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Does that mean that our opponent playing the germans in Red Barricades may refuse to use night rules and hence there ain't gonna be any more russian night attaks :) ?

Bjørnar