volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
From LCP's CM map:

The '?' Canadian unit in the N14 rubble hex wishes to Climb down the cliff hexside into the O13 Olive Grove, using the N13-N14-O13 vertex.

IMG_20180823_112248517.jpg

B11.42 A Climbing unit is using Hazardous Movement, but a LOS may not be drawn to a Climbing unit unless the firer is occupying a hex formed by that cliff hexside. All fire to a Climbing unit must be traced to a vertex of the hexside being Climbed......Climbing units never receive a favorable TEM (even Height Advantage) but Hindrances do apply to incoming fire.

ASOP
3.22A Start of ITS MPh
Infantry may declare...Climbing (B11.4)
3.32A During ITS MPh Place appropriate Climb counter for Infantry that successfully ascends or descends (B11.43)

When the Canadian announced his intention to Climb (descend), the only German unit that could possibly intervene at the time was a '42 FB (120mm, 8MG). It would seem, per the underlined portion of B11.42 above, the FB could not fire on it. It seems the FB could not fire on them in either 3.22A (ASOP), nor in 3.32A when successfully placed on a Lvl 0 Climb counter. This seemed counter-intuitive, and seemed a candidate for one of the several obscure rules that was not properly tied into Ch. E when that chapter was added on. Maybe I am wrong on that notion.

Regardless, it would seem that a Stuka, using a Point Attack would be the only aircraft capable of intercepting this unit from the sky. Correct? Thanks!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From LCP's CM map:

The '?' Canadian unit in the N14 rubble hex wishes to Climb down the cliff hexside into the O13 Olive Grove, using the N13-N14-O13 vertex.

View attachment 5429

B11.42 A Climbing unit is using Hazardous Movement, but a LOS may not be drawn to a Climbing unit unless the firer is occupying a hex formed by that cliff hexside. All fire to a Climbing unit must be traced to a vertex of the hexside being Climbed......Climbing units never receive a favorable TEM (even Height Advantage) but Hindrances do apply to incoming fire.

ASOP
3.22A Start of ITS MPh
Infantry may declare...Climbing (B11.4)
3.32A During ITS MPh Place appropriate Climb counter for Infantry that successfully ascends or descends (B11.43)

When the Canadian announced his intention to Climb (descend), the only German unit that could possibly intervene at the time was a '42 FB (120mm, 8MG). It would seem, per the underlined portion of B11.42 above, the FB could not fire on it. It seems the FB could not fire on them in either 3.22A (ASOP), nor in 3.32A when successfully placed on a Lvl 0 Climb counter. This seemed counter-intuitive, and seemed a candidate for one of the several obscure rules that was not properly tied into Ch. E when that chapter was added on. Maybe I am wrong on that notion.

Regardless, it would seem that a Stuka, using a Point Attack would be the only aircraft capable of intercepting this unit from the sky. Correct? Thanks!
The actual rule reads for fire through the cliff hexside,"...but a LOS may not be drawn to a Climbing unit through the cliff hexside it is Climbing unless the firer is occupying a hex formed by that cliff hexside." So I do not see why a FB would be unable to make an attack against the climbing unit if the fire was not traced trough the Cliff hexside.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The actual rule reads for fire through the cliff hexside,"...but a LOS may not be drawn to a Climbing unit through the cliff hexside it is Climbing unless the firer is occupying a hex formed by that cliff hexside." So I do not see why a FB would be unable to make an attack against the climbing unit if the fire was not traced trough the Cliff hexside.
How did I miss a large, and most pertinent passage, in the rule I quoted? Old age, senility, whiskey...? Thanks, your answer answered everything.