Climbing and residual firepower

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a unit climbing the cliff between 25BB6(level 3) and 25BB5(level 4) (cliff is an overlay in The Taking of Takrouna). He receives DFF. A few questions:

What hex is he considered in at the time he receives the shot?

Is residual left and where? Is the residual placed on the climb counter?

If there is a second unit that will climb will he be impacted by the resid only if he is at the same climb level?

If the resid is placed at the base of the cliff at a climbing unit (assuming a roll of 10 or 11 leaving the unit at the base but climbing) will a non-climbing unit moving into the lower hex receive the resid attack?

Thanks

Mike

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B11.43 I think answers this.... Infantry attempting to traverse a cliff hexside is placed on an appropriate (i.e., equaling the unit's present height on that cliff hexside) Climb counter on the lower side of the cliff hexside. During its MPh, if the unit successfully descends, it is placed on a Climb counter one level lower than previously occupied. If the unit is ascending, it is placed on a Climb counter one level higher than previously occupied.

So if they are successful, they get hit on the destination level, otherwise they'd get hit on the starting level. (That's how I read it)

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes I agree but what hex would they be considered in? Does the attack against a climbing unit leave resid and is the climbing level considered a separate location? So that a unit at climb level 2 is not hit by residual at climb level 3. I am trying to determine whether to climb two squads together or split them into two separate attempts. I know the axiom of don't stack but this is a bit unfamiliar for me. My assumption is that an attack on a climbing unit at level 4 would leave resid only on level 4 and would not effect units at other levels but I am unable to confirm this by a reading of the climbing rules or the residual rules.

Mike

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're climbing from Level 3 to Level 4, spend ALL MF, and you're successful, since it's a single expenditure, the resid is going to be at Level 4. Otherwise the resid would be at Level 3.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The hex is the one with the climb counter, i.e. the one with the lower terrain. Per B11.432 the unit crosses the cliff hexside when it reaches the level it was climbing to.

Residual is extremely undefined. I would play as if each climb level was a pseudo-location.

JR