The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good afternoon.

Had a situation come up in the Dinant CG.

Assume a Blaze is created in Z18.

Will the drifting smoke make it to BB19 or will the woods in AA19 block the drift (they reach two levels above Z18)?

Can a blaze spread from Z18 to Z19 (two level difference)? What if it is a cliff with just a one level difference)?

Assume a Blaze is is created in CC19.

Drifting smoke will be placed in DD19 but will smoke in hexes EE20 and FF20 be placed only at the level of DD19 (lvl 3) or also at lvl 2?

The rules for Flame spread and drifting smoke don't appear to mention how cliffs might affect these sections.

Cheers.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Woods in AA19 won't block any Smoke, but since Smoke is only 2 levels and BB19 is 2 levels higher than Z18 it won't get up than high. If all 3 hexes were the same level there would be drifting smoke in BB19.

Fires can spread across cliff hexsides (Z18 to Z19). The higher level and not connected DRM will both apply though.

From CC19 Drifting Smoke will be in both DD19 and EE20, the hill and clifffs won't make a difference. FF20 is too far away for drifting Smoke from a Fire.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Woods in AA19 won't block any Smoke, but since Smoke is only 2 levels and BB19 is 2 levels higher than Z18 it won't get up than high. If all 3 hexes were the same level there would be drifting smoke in BB19.

Fires can spread across cliff hexsides (Z18 to Z19). The higher level and not connected DRM will both apply though.

From CC19 Drifting Smoke will be in both DD19 and EE20, the hill and clifffs won't make a difference. FF20 is too far away for drifting Smoke from a Fire.
It's my understanding that if a Blaze existed in CC19 and a Mild Breeze was blowing from the NW (assuming the top of the depiction is north), the drifting smoke in EE20 would be placed on a level 1 counter. I know O5.441 addresses this situation but the DN rules and the ASLRB not so much though A24.61 does hint that it is the case. At least that's how I've always played it as at least RB/RO does address such a situation even though not all HASL rules necessarily apply to all other HASLs or regular scenarios. JMHO.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually as I read the rules the Smoke drifting from CC19 would go all the way to the ground in EE20 since that is the level of the fire in CC19, i.e. the Smoke would go up and over DD19 back down on the other side (but the Smoke in EE20 would only be 1 level so that it is no higher than in CC19).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are going to have call a fire expert to assess whether a downdraft would pull the smoke back down off the cliff ...

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That was my view, the smoke, being hotter than the air around it, does not drift downwards. Board 2 has woods on the hill hexes in various locations with lower elevations 'downwind'. If the Blaze was at level 2 then the smoke would drift at levels 2 and 3 (up to but not includuing level four as per the example in A24.4), not down to level 0. I'm not sure the intervening higher location would be ignored in the case of DD19.

However, the rules as written seem to state otherwise, the smoke would ignore blocking terrain.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
If the Hindrance DR modifier is +3 for a terrain blaze then there should be drifting smoke in 3 hexes downwind, no?

A24.61 and B25.2

Speaking of B25.2 it just hit me that a terrain blaze is four levels high so the drifting smoke creates quite an obstacle to LOS

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the Hindrance DR modifier is +3 for a terrain blaze then there should be drifting smoke in 3 hexes downwind, no?

A24.61 and B25.2

Speaking of B25.2 it just hit me that a terrain blaze is four levels high so the drifting smoke creates quite an obstacle to LOS
You are correct that a terrain blaze is normally a 4 level hindrance however as stated in A24.4 it states"...[EXC: in a mild breeze it is a two level LOS Hindrance].