Clearing The Breskens Pocket with a doubled OOB anybody?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the "Way back Time machine" app is the only way you might be able to access the old CFG portal.
I'd put those files up in dropbox links here on this thread - but they are not my intellectual property to do so. So I will not, without permissions from the CFGG guys.

KRL, jon H

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'd put those files up in dropbox links here on this thread - but they are not my intellectual property to do so. So I will not, without permissions from the CFGG guys.

KRL, jon H
But they were free files for anyone to download in the first place. I'm sure the CF guys wouldn't mind.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But they were free files for anyone to download in the first place. I'm sure the CF guys wouldn't mind.
unfortunately, I cannot accept that you may speak with authority for Paul Kenny, Chris Olden, and the others of that group :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Paul Kenny and Chris Olden were in CF? I did not know that.

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
unfortunately, I cannot accept that you may speak with authority for Paul Kenny, Chris Olden, and the others of that group :)
As I recall, when they shut down there were statements made to the effect that the principles of CF were NOT abdicating their IP rights to what had been published on the site.

No matter what or who you know about copyrighted material, it is the owner's and only the owner's prerogative to publish/distribute.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I recall, when they shut down there were statements made to the effect that the principles of CF were NOT abdicating their IP rights to what had been published on the site.

No matter what or who you know about copyrighted material, it is the owner's and only the owner's prerogative to publish/distribute.
exactly the reason for my statement.

An IP rights owner can make the choice to distribute their work as freeware on the open web as CFGG did - and they may also make the choice to end that practice, at any time, for one or all, of their previously open distribution materials, as CFGG did.

CFGGs closing statements specified the rights to the material on-site when it shut down belonged to the respective author/designer/design teams.

I do not have the privilege of accepting a non-involved person(s) requests without specific permission to release such material from its IP rights holder(s).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just been chatting to Michael Dorosh about his gif file of The Breskens Pocket map. Why not play the scenario and double the OOB he suggested. That is not a bad idea!

Anyone ever play this bad boy?
I fear my easy-going nature has once again concealed the razor sharp barbs of what was intended as a heavily sarcastic notion.....NOT an earnest suggestion! :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I just noticed that there are several books on Walcheren and the Scheldt battles on Amazon. Could be interesting reading.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I just noticed that there are several books on Walcheren and the Scheldt battles on Amazon. Could be interesting reading.
The best title on the Scheldt I can think of is Tug of War, written by Denis Whitaker who was a battalion commander at the time of the battle, and who did deep research into the German side of the battle. The Canadian official history gives a decent overview and is available for free download online.

The Walcheren battle is covered briefly in one of the Osprey campaign books, and it is surprisingly decent as well, though naturally it focuses on the British landings and not the minor actions on the landward side of the island by the 2nd Canadian and 52nd (Lowland) Divisions.

For an insanely detailed look at the landward battles, there is Slagveld Sloedam - but unfortunately it is in Dutch.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That is interesting. There is this book that I found which apparently is very neglectful of the German POV.

So perhaps if coupled with Tug Of War one can get a comprehensive history....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That is interesting. There is this book that I found which apparently is very neglectful of the German POV.

So perhaps if coupled with Tug Of War one can get a comprehensive history....
It's been a while since I've read it, but Whitaker (and his wife, who assisted him) was usually pretty good about writing from the other side of things. Mark Zuehlke has a "pop history" title on this period, and he's getting better at examining German records, though I think he still focuses more on experiences than deep analysis of operations.

Terry Copp is the go-to for analysis - I don't recall offhand if he's written specifically about the Scheldt. He did publish a history of the 5th Brigade which was the formation tasked to capturing the east end of Walcheren Island (called "the Brigade") and has some details of these operations, but they were mostly a minor sideshow to the landings on the west side of the island.

Copp's book about the entire NW Europe campaign is called CINDERELLA ARMY:

Copp is a professor of history while Zuehlke's background is journalism.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Do you know anything of Graham Thomas?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The is book offers some good looks at the Walcheren battery emplacements and bunkers themselves, along with detailed examinations of just about every pillbox, bunker or field fortress ever constructed that saw some use during the period 1939-1945 in the ETO. It covers both the re-purposed Dutch fortifications along the Scheldt Estuary as well as the German constructions during the war years, in that section of the book.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
If people haven't, I strongly recommend they play the very old Breskens Pocket scenario by Coastal Fortress.

It's HUGE...and about 30 turns..across about 20 mapboards but I can't remember ever having more fun playing ASL than I did when I played that many years back.

I don't think it's particularly balanced. But it is BLOODY good.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw a game of this between Rob Banozic and Rich Spilky and observed the biggest massacre in ASL history when the Brits tried to storm that building on the river edge. He must have lost about 30 British squads in this 6 hex slaughter area. It made the Somme look like a cakewalk.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I saw a game of this between Rob Banozic and Rich Spilky and observed the biggest massacre in ASL history when the Brits tried to storm that building on the river edge. He must have lost about 30 British squads in this 6 hex slaughter area. It made the Somme look like a cakewalk.
"I'll just take that building....should be a cakewalk..."